Reviews for But I Stood In The Background
GalanthaDreams chapter 8 . 10/19/2010
This is quite possibly the best first person narrative I have read on this site. That is the only thing I can say of any value, I hope you can feel my sincerity.
DCWestby chapter 8 . 8/29/2008
Excellent story. You did a good job.. However, seperate point of views would greatly lessen confusing over where someone vs anothers pov starts. still, great job.
LittleMissReviewbox chapter 8 . 6/27/2008
Final review !

That's it. I definitely add this story to my 'favourites'. The final was, well...beautiful.

I sat there a long time with my eyes wide and staring at the word "the end". Even now, I'm feeling all strange inside me, just because the story is finished. You know, this kind of odd feeling which says "What ? Already ? Ow..."

I really really like how you balanced the 'romanticism' and the 'realism' of these last chapters : I mean that even though we can say this is a happy ending, you didn't make it overly fluffy, but instead realistic and in keeping with the characters (for instance, the fact that Maho and Asaba fight and cry sometimes). And by 'characters', I mean both the original characters and the depth you've added to them yourself throughout your story.

On the critical note, it's kind of late to notice that, but you didn't separate the parts 'POV Maho' and 'POV Asaba', which gets confusing sometimes. I know, I'm late, it's been a lot of chapters that things are this way, but I've remembered just now to notice it in my review... -'

After having read two stories from you (well... three actually fufufu), I can say it : you're a damn good writer. Now, I'm gonna look for Fruits Basket scanlations, so next time I can write in my review "you're a terrificly damn oh-my-goodness good writer".

Hopefully see you soon ! ;)
LittleMissReviewbox chapter 6 . 6/21/2008
Review time ! lol

Well, I take my hat off to you : you actually managed to make Maho's and Asaba's mutual feelings coherent with their respective personalities ! I'm quite impressed.

Now I'm really eager to kow what will happen. x Am I... drifting into a MahoxAsaba fan ?... What the heck ? XD lol

Still, the end of the 6th chapter made me really sad, all the more as the writing conveys Maho's distress in an impressive way (with all these short and unfinished sentences which give a kind of 'insane' feeling). Even if I like the MahoxTakashi pairing in the manga, I acknowledge that this turn of events is more realistic and plausible.

But because I'm a grumpy perfectionist, I can't help pointing out that Maho's other ego talking to her reminds a bit of Arima's own psychological problems. But then again, Maho's and Asaba's inner conflicts here are similar to Miyazawa's and Arima's : they're looking for their true self. However, although the likeness with Arima's double personality bothered me a little, the likeness with the search for one's true self looks more like a 'link' to the original Karekano to me, showing that everyone struggles with their own inner demons.

Okay, I'm not sure if what I've just said makes any sense. If it doesn't, please ignore it. XD

PS : By the way, I like the occurrence of the expression 'stand in the background'.
LittleMissReviewbox chapter 4 . 6/12/2008
Okay, I have to admit I was quite sceptic at first. I didn't even intend to read this fic the first time I saw it. But truly, the more I read, the more I enjoy it...

You analyse the personality of both Maho and Asaba in a subtle and truthful way, all the more as you use mainly simple words. Plus, it's funny at some parts ! lol (especially with Asaba. X-) But the 'Guy Lean' was great too )

The chapters may be a little too long, but, well, I guess it's too late now. XD

And also, I wonder how much of the manga you have read. ) Because there's a little more about Maho and Asaba in it than in the anime (for instance, Asaba's and Arima's first meeting, as well as Maho's and Takashi's relationship). But maybe did you choose to deliberately ignore it and write your own version of these events ? ;)

PS : Completely not-important-at-all, but : there's no stairwell confrontation scene in the anime ? O_O Are you sure ? *search her memory* '
Saddletank chapter 1 . 7/16/2007
Better late than never. Well, maybe not.

While the technical aspects of this are very high and its beautifully written it doesn't work for me, neither your Asaba nor your Maho being believable. There seems to be this clique in KK fanfiction-dom that sees Maho as a dark, worldly 'been there, done that' girl when I don't see anything in canon to support that - the opposite in fact. She fights Yukino because she's essentially childish, not because she's mature. She goes into the arms of an older man all for child-like reasons and doesn't really think through the consequences of her actions.

Your Asaba is clsoer and I'm glad to see you didn't make him gay like too many fic writers do. He is though quite a sensitive person I think - something of a thinker who puts up a playful front to hide behind.

But seeing as how much Maho hates him in the anime I could never see them getting together: it feels liek you take the two odd-balls of the series and forced a situation to bring them together.

Now a story where they tried to make a relationship work and at the end it all fell to pieces and they went their separate ways, now that might work.
raind chapter 8 . 6/18/2007
You know, it's stories like this that make wandering around worth it.

Can't really say too much more than that. This was one of those stories that really hit something in me. The main duo of Maho and Asaba is so very human and a duo to which I can very much relate. Their pain, fear, uncertainty, all portrayed in a very realistical manner, not overblown and melodramatic yet not shallow and superficial. Yet the lighter aspects, especially in Asaba's case, make an excellent contribution to their characters as well. (The fact that I like the pairing doesn't really hurt either.) Been a little while since I read/watched KKnJ but from what I recall, they stayed quite faithful to their canon counterparts yet some, especially Arima, got their characters shaped more. By no means a bad thing, quite the contrary.

Also a shower-of-praise-deserving aspect is your portrayal of the main duo's love. Not perfect, not like romance novels, doesn't solve everything and it's not a given that it'll last. Yet they endure each day and don't lose hope. ...Hell, I want a romance that's something like this some day.

If I'd have to name one thing that bothered me, it'd probably be the first time Asaba and Maho talked. It seems kind of weird that either of them would let down their guards and reveal their innermost secrets to a person they didn't practically know at all. Then again, the feeling where you're about to explode is a powerful motivator. Still, this scene struck me as kind of... how to put it... a bump among the otherwise smooth flow of the story. English metaphors aren't my most strong point.

To conclude this I'll just say that I quite loved your story. One of the best I've read in a long time. Left me in a way better mood than when I started, too. Thank you.
elianthos chapter 8 . 3/3/2006
Months later, I've finally caught up with your story ;.

I'm so glad i found it. It's very insigthful, and intense. And so very very engaging and sad. As we know, things Tsuda's-san manga go differently (and, actually, I liked Maho's boyfriend in her version. Now I'm very eager to read the translated version of the last and final volume of karekano here in Italy, also to see what -or who- there's in store for Asaba). But your tale make the M/A pairing feel just... right.

Thank you for such a story.
skittlesjc chapter 8 . 1/31/2006
wow! my timing must be off since this fic was written a year ago, but it's one of the best fics i've ever read! if you have any more Asaba/Maho fics lying around, I'm dying to read them! )
Miss. Miyazawa chapter 1 . 11/25/2005
Holy frick. This was really good! I liked the detail you poured into this fic and I can tell you worked really hard on it. Kudos to you! _
pencilsinabag chapter 8 . 9/25/2005
WOW! This is awesome! man I love this story
elianthos chapter 1 . 6/23/2005
I've read only the first chapter so far, but this seems a very good work. I like Maho, and your portray of her looks perfect to me.
Mirune Keishiko chapter 8 . 2/26/2005
...thanks for this story.

it would be stupid to go on and on about how wonderful it is and how intensely you've managed to delve into the characters and how rich you've made each chapter with all the humanity you put in and how you've made me cry, so i'm not even going to start.

but thank you. thanks for writing. .
Mish1 chapter 8 . 1/14/2005
Great fic! I've loved reading it!
Alice in June chapter 8 . 12/17/2004
Whoa ... I'm really impressed. I think you did an absolutely wonderful job o this fic and I'm so sorry that this fic is so underappreciated.

I loved everything about the fic, I like how you did the POVs and I liked the faithfulness it portrayed to the cannon. I appreciate the insight you gave on these characters great job.