Reviews for Never Look Back
Raiining chapter 10 . 8/15/2005
Anya! Finally! Missed your particular brand of sarcastic wit.

"What kind of fairy tales did they teach these days, anyway? Who in their right mind would *want* to summon a djinni?"

Snicker

Ah yes, another curiosity - what shall happen to Willow? "She encountered very few humans who could be a danger to her demon form, and Willow-with-no-brakes had been pretty high on that list."

:: racks memory .. has vague image of Willow casting a spell later on in this stor- no, that was the whole "battery" discussion. gottca ::
Raiining chapter 9 . 8/15/2005
Ah, Ethan: "He hadn't lived over twenty years as a Chaos Mage without being a survivor; the last thing he needed was a dose of the White Hat concern for broken things."

:: pats ::

Loved the chapter. Ethan totally stole the show, and the "null space" was very very clever.

Wes almost seems to need re-writing in this scene .. just the phrase "knickers in a twist" coming from his mouth sounds kinda odd. But then again, I didn't see the earlier eps of Angel. You're call. The rest of it is great, and I wouldn't change any of it.

"but somewhere, some one obviously believed he hadn't enough to deal with yet"

Raiining chapter 8 . 8/15/2005
"Dawn was the current master of pouting and sulking in the Summers household, but she had, after all, learned it *somewhere*. "

I enjoy your Buffy - she's just the right mixture of hard and soft. You skipped half of season 6 and all of season 7, and that shows - she's not as hard ass as she might be. But she's definite post-heaven Buffy, and yet she still comes off well. Having Tara and the Geek Guys not dead really helped, and that's another reason why I enjoy this fan fic - its really quite a wonderful "might have been".

AHAHAA!"Yeah, well." He shrugged. "I think it was the clown that did it. I mean, clowns are just evil, you know? It traumatized my growing psyche at a vulnerable point in my childhood." His voice got more theatrical as he went, and he pressed a hand to his heart for good measure."

:: huggles Xander ::

Good chappy overall. I felt it hurried up there at the end, but it really progressed quite well - I'm just impatient to find out what happened and want details.

Overall though, this is another one of those chapters that I can point a vague finger at and say it might need some toning ... but its quite good as is if you want to avoid the work.

Raiining chapter 7 . 8/15/2005
I love the stone poem in this chapter. Did you make it up yourself or is it really part of legend? It's very catchy either way.

Ah, Wes: "Distraction, indeed. He'd been using history to block out the world again; an old defense, and an effective one, but not particularly appropriate today."

Excellent line re. his character.

"but 'meant well' usually ranked at the level of a belly-flop in an Olympic diving competition"

Snicker.

Also enjoyed "at the hem of his obnoxiously green shirt".

And - as always - loved Ethan: ""Bugger that," Ethan growled. "Even Travers should know that sowing Death will only bring destruction. Will the man never learn?"

And then "I'm an avatar of Chaos, not Death," Ethan replied, his expression suddenly quite serious. "There is a difference, you know."

After his own little mini-ficlet, *we* the readers know - but I'm not sure if Wesley does.

The Shakespeare lines were just amusing, btw, and quite good.

Overall, another great chapter. I don't think much of this story - in my opinion - will need re-writing at all.
Raiining chapter 6 . 8/15/2005
"the scenery wasn't very inviting; in fact, there mostly wasn't any."

Snicker.

This is a good chapter, but one of your weaker ones. I think there's just one paragraph that kinds needs editing.

""NO!" she screamed, at the top of her lungs. It wasn't the only thing she'd screamed, either; her throat was raw and her ears were ringing, but she couldn't remember one thing she'd said since the first strangled "Fuck" had left her lips. The two people who'd just died before her eyes knew her better than anyone else on the planet, except for Angel; sister Slayer, Watcher-turned-lover. The last month had seen bridges rebuilt, friendship reknitted, and lust kindling into something more. She would *not* believe it would all end this way, in violence and blood. Not so soon."

It just ... something is off about it, and it tends to ruin everything else. Maybe too .. prophocey-ish? Since this is Faith's POV? :: shrug :: Not sure. But once its fixed I think the rest falls neatly into place. The visions of Buffy and Wes are very well done, and I loved "This was so far from five-by-five, it wasn't even funny". Lol.

Again, they (the visions) demonstrate Faith's importance in this entire BtVS/Angel network - she's a great bridge between Buffy (even Spike, as he's in the vision and she understand his temptations), and Wes (and with him, implictely, is Angel). I really think you did a good job by hinging this particular Story sub-set on her. At this point in time, she's a wonderful middle character to focus on.

Raiining chapter 5 . 8/15/2005
Ahh, a throughly Spike-filled-goodness chapter. I think half (well, at least a quarter) of the reason I enjoy him is his unique persepective on Angel.

Angelus was a sadistic, moody bastard, and the only difference between that version of Angel and the souled one was that 2.0 had a pesky conscience.

AhhA! Excellent!

Far too many good lines here to repeat them all. But here are a few personal favourites: "There were a couple of early morning joggers down the road, trusting in the faint glow on the eastern horizon to keep the bogeymen away"

- excellent. Its still Sunnydale, and everyone knows it.

"If Spike's blood hadn't already been cooled to air-temperature, that remark would have chilled it"

:: grin ::

"The promise of being uncaged after two and a half years of forced restrictions had excited him, and aroused him, more than he would have expected ... and *that* very definitely disturbed him"

*lifts head from gutter*. Most especially enjoyed " There were *reasons* why they wouldn't make tasty snacks".

And of course, the last few lines about someone knowing how tempting this all is for him.

Again - my vote is to leave it all. It's brilliant and full of sarcasm and wit - pure Spike.
Raiining chapter 4 . 8/15/2005
Jonathan, as the only one in the bunch still presentable in public, was tasked to go into the convenience store and buy a few essentials - ice, Ziploc baggies, a few snacks, and a box of Band-aids

AHAHHA! Great beginning to the chapter. We love Jonathan by this point, and the intro is so wonderfully random that its gorgeous.

mental note: Jonathan, another character I remember missing as this story proceedes. Except - isn't this the one with Ethan also being kidnapped? Okay, so he's in it later on. So many characters to keep track of! You do a brilliant job with it - really - I just love Jonathan and Spike especially. ;-)

Enjoyed the rest of the chappy immensely. Change nothing is my vote again. Really - its brilliant. Fred is perfect and so is Gunn. But Lorne, as always, steals the show.
Raiining chapter 3 . 8/15/2005
Ah, I love Lilah. She's so ... wiley. (Rejecting this demon could be a risky proposition. What else might he know? And who would he *tell*, more importantly?)

Several favourite lines here, many of which (for my own sheer pleasure) I shall enjoy:

"out to seven million, four hundred thousand US dollars, all of which had been neatly packed in an overlarge briefcase for her tactile enjoyment."

snicker. I can see why that'd be so much more satisfying then a cheque.

"Ask Holtz. Oh wait, you can't; gee, I wonder why that is."

AHAHAhaa! This is just funny because it shows Sahghan's character off so well (oh, time for revelation - I never actually watched any full season of Angel before the last two. Besides that, I'm going on random ep's only. So I don't actually know if Sahjhan was a character on Angel, but no matter - he's cool here).

The mention of Spike here grabs me, because I love him so much. But is he really in the rest of the story? I know he's in the beginning, then I thought he got kinda lost for a bit. Of course, this isn't completed, so maybe you had plans for him that this chapter hints at.

Final Opinion: Change nothing. This chappy is brilliant, and deserves to exist as a testiment of your glory.

Raiining chapter 2 . 8/15/2005
Ah, another glimpse at characters we love. Most especially enjoyed Dawn here. And Cordy. (:: momentary weeping for the loss of Cordy in the real Angel ::) Giles getting *so* angry seemed a little off, but I guess you have to reinforce the whole "he's an elemental, hence the green sparks" thing. Tara seemed a little carpet-ish to Willow, but it came off okay because the readers know her character and mettle.

Xander was certainly *your* Xander (post-spell thing Xander) and not entirely BtVS ICC. But hey - that's what fan fiction is for, and I love this post-spell X-man.

All in all - I'd say re-read the chappy if you like, but overall its good. Especially the snappy dialogue.

Raiining chapter 1 . 8/15/2005
An excellent beginning! Really enjoyed this intro - and can't help but raise an eyebrow (if I could actually manage that trick - damn!) at the name "Percy". Really enjoyed Travers here .. craggy and old school, but just a hint of possible redemption. Makes him more of a real character.

My vote: change nothing. 'Tis good.

Raiining chapter 17 . 8/10/2005
Wow - I just read the entirity of your "lesser men" series and loved every moment of it. It kept me functional all night while I did growth curves! But I see that you've ended it - and that's too bad, but it really was an excellent set of stories. really really good. Even if we lost "Junior Chaos" a little near the end there. Love your writing though, and I'm going to favouritize you in teh hopes that you continue writing, even if its short snipits again.

:-)
MidCircleNine chapter 17 . 8/7/2005
But.. But, but.. It just stops. There's no more.. Where's the rest of it? What happened? It was getting so good, into it's niche with a side of serious-groove-working, and then it just stops.

Well that sucks.

Especially after reading the two prequels prior, with all the interludes in betwixt the three tales, and getting completely immersed in the refreshingly-wildly AU plotline with the still-oh-so-very-canon characters. All in one day. The story in it's entirety is just so completely and utterly awesome, that I'm hoping beyond most reason that even though you've not updated this for about a year-and-a-half, that your lovely muse will once again sing it's songs for you.
Chris chapter 17 . 7/28/2005
Please, Please, Please finish this. It is really good. I love the way you brought in some of the lesser used characters like Jonathan and Gavin. I am also a big fan of Faith and Ethan. I think they were poorly used by Joss. Pretty Please?
Union-Jack2.0 chapter 17 . 7/16/2005
Salutations from the sunny (and sweltering) Solent! Just found your 'Lesser Men' series, and wanted to say that a) this is great stuff and b) please continue! Also, do you have any advice on fanfic series writing? I'm looking into doing one next year (the first fic will take yonks to get to the point where the second and third ones can run in parallel). Looking forward to the next part,

Jack
shullerina chapter 17 . 10/18/2004
I have just read all your 'Lesser Men' writings over the last few days. Please write more soon, I'm absolutely hooked. I can't wait to find out how you're going to tie it all up. Thankyou.
81 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »