Reviews for The Island
Kodachi Claws chapter 7 . 3/27/2019
In typical Gargoyle fashion, the end seems to leave one with more questions than answers.

Still, it is an interesting twist with the Doctor's true identity. So it seems Moreau did exist, but his brain was too far gone when they implemented the machine.

And of course he was illuminati.

Liked how you showed Dr. Shirakawa was a lesbian without stating it outright. I wouldn't have minded if you said it in plain english, but some things are best left obscure and if you're hoping someone on the other side of the fence would come to yours, appealing to them this way is probably the best way you can do so.

Overall, greatly enjoyed this story. I'll be checking out the rest of these fics that fall under these categories.
Kodachi Claws chapter 6 . 3/25/2019
I must admit, I too am a bit disappointed by how the baby turned out. Granted, I guess the twist makes sense in the context of what was set up, but I'm tired of the term "reproductive DNA". The only other DNA is mitochondrial DNA, and that's only passed on maternally.

I think a better explanation would be that Derek and Maggie's mutation did not affect their reproductive ORGANS. So basically sperm and ovaries remain unchanged.

On the plus side for them, it means their appearance is only phenotypic. There genotypes are still human, so I guess they can always remember that.

I'm also a bit disappointed by how Moreau turned out, but not mad. That too makes sense; years of isolation and obsession can do that to a man ( or his brain, at least).

Elisa's a nerd? That's something I was unaware of. She never struck me as the type, but I suppose nerds aren't always the skinny bespectacled types.
This was also the 90s, so I suppose she's a closet nerd. I'll take that.

I'm still wondering who was providing Moreau with shipments of animals among other things.

I know this comes off as negative, but rest assured I DID enjoy the chapter. You definitely did a great job making a Gargoyles story that feels like it could fit into canon, and I especially enjoyed the cameos from many other Disney afternoon characters.

You still should have included Darkwing Duck in there somehow.
Kodachi Claws chapter 5 . 3/22/2019
Great. I get to add Gorilla Man X Brain in Machine along with my disturbing sexual relations, right up there with most hentai and the end of Sausage Party.

That aside, it certainly is tragic, not just for the Beast Folk but for the Doctor as well. Whatever sick experiments he did in the past, he truly did care for his creations. I'm hoping for some kind of redemption for him now, even if there is no happy ending for him.
Kodachi Claws chapter 4 . 3/19/2019
Rescue Rangers! The Disney Afternoon cameos continue!

Very good drama in this chapter. Moreu brought up that same point the other Beast Folk did, and it is a genuinely difficult question, one which I don't think ANY of the characters have an answer for.

It will be interesting to see how this island-wide punishment unfolds, because I am almost certain there's not going to be a happy ending for ANYBODY.

Except maybe Derek and Maggie.
Kodachi Claws chapter 3 . 3/17/2019
This was a fun twist that makes sense for the Gargoyles universe. They took tales from ancient literature and made them facts in this universe. You used a relatively recent work, and it totally fits, so kudos for that.

Great job on following through with the sentience; it seems it is only temporary, and I sympathize with the Beast Men in that regard. Even if it wasn't theirs, once you have it nothing can make you give it up.

Brilliant use of the Sayers being throwbacks to Mickey, Donald and Goofy. Disney would have probably made the creators do that, and while they do feel a little bit out of place, I'm willing to accept it as a symptom just how out of their element the main characters are.

You even snuck in a TalesSpin reference, very clever.

See you again soon.
Kodachi Claws chapter 2 . 3/16/2019
Ah, so this is like the reverse of Dr. Monroe. Very interesting.

I liked how you made these Beast Folk different from the mutates instead of taking the easy route and make them identical except in origin.

It's obvious there are complications with this procedure, but I can sympathize with the cat-creature at least. Once you have obtained a degree of sentience, no way would anything want to give it back.

I see that Elisa is also showing signs of commitment to Goliath. I found that little taking a break part from the comics to be awkward and resolved all too quickly. But at least you brought the issues up and had Elisa give a clear answer about closing the door on a normal life. I liked how you made Elisa not act like a teenage girl about it saying she's prepared to throw it away (which would be completely OOC) but rather resigning herself to the fact that no matter what happens she will never have a normal life. It's both heartwarming and sad, two things that go really well together in the Gargoyles universe.

Is it canon that Beth is gay? I only remember Lexington being confirmed as gay, but they never said anything about Beth. I guess she's so irrelevant to the story that it wasn't mentioned. Either way I don't care.

I'll see you next chapter!
Kodachi Claws chapter 1 . 3/14/2019
Great start to a first chapter. Got a little bit of history with Servarius here, as well as his meeting with Titania (wonder how he would have reacted if someone told him she was the Queen of Faries, so to speak).

Also nice to see how the mutates and the clones are adapting to life in the labyrinth, though I'm confused about how they got onto an island (though I've no doubt you'll explain that soon).

I'm guessing the guy in the trench coat is an existing character, though I'm drawing a blank as to who that might be...and I've a feeling the observer is part of the Illuminati. Guess I'll find out.

Also, very clever to name your chapters after the Nucleic Acids
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 8 . 1/27/2019
Technically, a T. rex’s bite force is significantly stronger than that of a crocodile. Croc’s are just the strongest living animal.

I do apologize for taking so damn long to finish reading this. On the other hand, it was significantly fun to read uninterrupted with no cliffhangers. I particularly enjoyed playing “spot the Disney reference” with the beast folk and your excellent use of Watson Doyle. Pragmatic to the end, I did not see that twist coming, though it was obvious in hindsight. Well done my friend.
GregX chapter 7 . 1/26/2019
I don't know what to say, magnificent job. Your first completed fic for our little "Age". Very heartwarming chapter.

I especially loved how you expanded our take on the Illuminati. Even I'm sometimes scared of them.

Also, glad to see Minerva has more life in her.
GregX chapter 6 . 1/26/2019
Another fantastic chapter. Though the prologue was a small scene, I appreciated how three dimensional Barbara Reed was... offering money to her daughter, when it would have been so easy to write her as being completely dismissive. But no, it was Maggie who was completely dismissive. Seeing Maggie the daughter was a brilliant stroke on our journey towards meeting Maggie the Mother.

And the birthing scene was gritty and perfect. Sevarius delivering the baby is the type of thing that, mishandled, could be pat. But it was handled so perfectly here. His dialogue was dead on. As was Elisa and Talon's.

I wasn't sure what was going to happen to Minerva, and I was half wondering if I'd have to make room for her in the Labyrinth.
GregX chapter 5 . 1/26/2019
I think what I enjoyed most about this chapter was the characterization you gave Thug. One panel in "Bad Guys" #4 of him hugging and comforting Erin while Benny was rolled up as they had no choice but to share space with what was Tasha... an experience maybe more traumatic than their mutations... and here, he's their father figure. Their protector.

It's a brilliant thing to infer from one panel, and something I also plan to keep in mind going forward the next time I feature the Labyrinth.
Dr. Algae chapter 7 . 1/26/2019
I knew it was Prendick!

But yeah, this was a great little coda to your first complete AoG saga. Answered a lot of questions by raising all new ones.

Nice finally meet baby Thom after all this time keeping them in the dark. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

I'm also intrigued by Dr. Shirakawa, given where else we've seen that name pop-up. ;)

Maggie reaching was just the right bittersweet note to end on.

Congratz again your first complete AoG story. I'm already anticipating your second.
Dr. Algae chapter 6 . 12/16/2018
Damn fine penultimate chapter. Sevarius delivering Maggie's baby was sooo wrong and yet the only way this coulda gone. I like how you've managed to give Anton more of a starring role in this tale without falling to the temptation of softening his edges too much. Even when he's saving the day, he's still a smarmy prick about it.

Also loved goliath's final line.
Guest chapter 5 . 11/4/2018
White Shadow angelus symbioids
Dr. Algae chapter 5 . 11/3/2018
I'm beginning to suspect why you've only referred to our special guest villain as ''Doctor'' so far.

Also... Thug is indeed Best Krokodyle.