Reviews for Seeker's Prayer
rebecca-in-blue chapter 2 . 9/21/2018
Hi there, here from review tag and completely fandom-blind, although I don't think that was really an issue here. The plot is accessible, and Dara feels like a well-developed character that the reader can get invested with. I like how smoothly you establish her circumstances in the opening scene - traveling alone, running low on fuel, and trying to get to a place where she can barter. It creates a good "what's next?" feeling.

The "Half an hour later..." section of Dara in her cockpit fills us in on her backstory, which is important information, but I don't really think it's conveyed in the best way. Dara literally tells us about her past, missing her family, etc. I'm not familiar with this character, but it seems kinda unrealistic that she would just sit there and say all of this out loud. It felt like very obvious exposition to me, and I think it might read more naturally if her thoughts and feelings were explored in the narration.

The ending scene kinda took me by surprise. Dara's reaction to the hustle, bustle, and smells of the port city near the beginning made her feel sheltered, but at the end, she takes down all the drunks without missing a beat. I'm also not sure if that scene really contributes to the plot.

I really like the scene of Dara bargaining for a ship with the merchant and considering whether or not to make his delivery. There's a good build of mystery and suspense there, and I think it's the strongest part of this chapter, although Muska convincing Dara to let him go along is good, too. For the most part, the chapter reads smoothly, even though it's a bit long and covers a lot.

The occasional Hebrew kinda threw me, just because it feels so unexpected in a sci-fi setting, but I'll attribute that to being fandom-blind. I usually see the word for earth transliterated as "eretz," though.