Reviews for Annals of Arithmancy
Piletorn chapter 24 . 9/21
Noooo.. I’m done and I want to know what happened next xD
NeverWritesAlwaysReads chapter 23 . 8/16
Wait, in this plot, wouldn't Harry own the elder wand? Because he killed Draco right after he killed Dumbledore, and it's passed down through defeating the previous weilder
LoveGoodWriting chapter 17 . 8/15
Nice work including Hypnobirthing and occlumency. If only more mothers to be knew about … well … either, the less agony and deference to arrogant rushed docs there would be in the world. You’re the best!
LoveGoodWriting chapter 16 . 8/15
Love the South Pole adventures, the physics, and the irl events you incorporate so gracefully. Because I remember those events, I feel like I’m living in your characters’ world that much more. Great chapter as usual!
ephraimephraim chapter 7 . 6/23
Each time I read this chapter - which I've done repeatedly because the Arithmancer series is so good - I'm bothered by Hermione's false belief that her 64,000-processor tapestry has more than five times as many processors than any muggle supercomputer. I've withheld comment until I could figure out why she made such a mistake. Now I've realized it's because she was born too late.

Late lamented Thinking Machines Corporation introduced the 65,536-processor Connection Machine Model 1 (CM-1) supercomputer in 1985. It was already obsolete when I joined the company in 1987, replaced by the faster but architecturally similar CM-2. In both models, the 65,536 processors were individually pathetic bit-serial processors. Each was enormously slower than anything you'd find in a personal computer of the era, but collectively they were very powerful. A CM-2 with the optional floating-point chips (2,048 of them, IIRC) was among the world's top supercomputers when Hermione was in primary school.

Soon after Hermione entered Hogwarts, the CM-2 was succeeded by the CM-5, which had *fewer* processors: hundreds instead of tens of thousands. But they were 32-bit SPARC chips backed up by custom vector processors, making the CM-5 a more powerful machine overall. (BTW, the Jurassic Park line about calling tech support in Cambridge got huge laughs when I saw the movie because the people who should have answered that call weren't in the office, they were in the theater.)

By the time Hermione, Harry, et al. defeated Riddle, Thinking Machines was gone (bankrupt in 1994) and the CM-1 and CM-2 were obsolete curiosities. Leading supercomputers typically harnessed thousands (but not tens of thousands) of conventional microprocessors. And that's probably what she had in mind when comparing her runic tapestry to muggle supercomputers.
Efloresco chapter 24 . 5/27
Well damn. That was pretty good.
Efloresco chapter 19 . 5/27
Nice.
Efloresco chapter 14 . 5/26
Okay, so I've come to the conclusion that you unconsciously believe abuse is inherent in family. This is unfortunate because you're thereby perpetuating the notion, and possibly the abuse, but it's understandable since in a lot of families it is inherent. This is a huge unresolved problem in our society and you're not selely to blame for it, though you should take responsibility for your part in it.

Besides that, your story is really awesome. Especially the integration of magic and science. I really enjoy reading that and that should also be said.
Efloresco chapter 13 . 5/26
Harry fainted from labour pains? Nice meme. It's not like he's survived torture multiple times. So fucking funny bro haha.

You realize that you're not actually respecting women's suffering, right? You're turning it into a joke and thereby trivializing it. You're demeaning Harry and turning Ginny into an abuser by doing that without consent. But then again you never had a problem with abuse, did you? You even made Molly beat her children without a shred of self-awareness. And then you had you female protagonist marry into a family that beats their children, and you think you can turn that into somthing respectable by jokingly making Harry and Ginny's relationship abusive too? You morals are honestly completely fucked up. I don't known what kind of child-beater enabling sexist cool-aid you've been drinking but it isn't doing you any favours. Maybe just stick to the math.
WirelessGrapes chapter 24 . 5/26
I mean, I know the year before an election you generally know who's gonna run, but very close on the Harris nomjnation
Efloresco chapter 8 . 5/25
So George and Hermione didn't discuss children before getting married. Instinctually, the notion of a domesticated housewife Hermione is dispicable to the point repaciousness to me. She's the one example of an emancipated modern woman in the whole series, and then Rowling paired her with Ron, to validate her own childhood fantasies. Considering the fact that Rowling clearly has massive issues being violated by rapeculture makes that understandable from a trauma psychology point of view but still disgusting.

But then you make a story where she's even more intelectually emancipated and dates George, because he's also an intelligent emancipated non-traditional and caring person. Great. I thought maybe they could actually he themselves in the wtory and let their personality shine. So why the fuck did their relationship end up being this? 90% of it, not exagerating, is either Gearge simperingly complimenting Hermione in a self-effacing way and them kissing. That's it. They haven't even had a basic fucking conversation about future plans before marriage. They're literally not people when they're together, just a codependent blob of unresolved teenage insecurity, let alone their best selves. There's no excuse. It's not just bad it's actually offensive and perpetuates harmful stereotypes and disempowering norms. Hermione is a scientist, not a fucking baby factory, and if her pertner doesn't completely support that then fuck them. I know George is a good person but he shouldn't be 'working to accept' her, he should understand and support of his own accord. If he they can't do that, they're better off without each other. I expected better from someone who clearly understands the value of modernising a country. Why else would you write a character able to modernise a whole field of science and magic in general? Why did this story end up being just another "pure Chirstian waifu" self insert story when it could have been so much better? Honestly, it should have been better. In that respect at least.
Efloresco chapter 7 . 5/25
I'm getting tired of pointing this shit out, but it's pretty weird, and not inclusive at all, for a headmistress to say "God willing" to a schol full of polytheists and pagans and presumably atheists. It's not a Christian school, and this doesn't represent the students. Especially conaidering that it is the only institute for magic on the isles, it can be construed as disrespectful. It is not in line with her character of fairness and equality at all and you shouldn't have included that.
Efloresco chapter 6 . 5/25
Gotta say, for a progressive like Hermione is supposed to be it's pretty weird to have her think people "ought" to be married to have children. And what's up with her quoting obtuse bible verses at kids? Imagine that happening for real, people would just look at her like she's crazy, and even if they didn't, they'd certainly not have any idea what she was saying.

It's so weird how there random traditional elements get thrown in there sometimes. Some of it just seems out of touch. I think that's one of the things that betray this stories 'bias', so to speak. It's assumed a lot of people understand things that only a small percentage of people would in the real world. Like shouting "panem et circenses" or whatever into a croud. What kind would have learned about that before the age of 11? I think this story overestimates the amount of abstract stuff most people have been exposed to. That makes it fun for a certain audience that has been, which is the point, but a few times here and there it does hurt the immersion a little.
Efloresco chapter 2 . 5/24
Nice.
By the way, I actually think the way scripture was incorporated into this story is extremely well done. It completely alignes with intent, langauges of power and the symbology of rituals and potians that have previously been established in the story. I also like the way Hermione didn't let her preconceptions of the soul stop her from making logical inferences based on the empirical data when it came down to it. The way you handled demontors is also based. I think the way they ended up being killed was the best I've read in fanfiction.

There was still some mythology, but it didn't get in the way of taking reasonable action based on the evidence in front if the characters, and that's the most important thing to me. It made Hermione's faith, as it was, a character trait based on cukture and uobringing that was emotionally significanr for her for the same reasons anytbign else was, like marriage and the way relationships and parenting were handled. It wasn't something dogmatic or absolutist, and I like that. Because, at the end of the day, absolutes are a mark of the sith. Or death eaters. Or nazis. You get the picture. I didn't like Hermione showing traits like that in a story where she fought the fascists, for obvious reasons. Anyway, well done, looking forward to the last few chapters.
StormLord654 chapter 24 . 4/19
every time I finish this fic series (must be six times now) I feel so empty. I'll never find a story quite like this, in published novels or in fanfiction. thank you for such a wonderful adventure. many 4am reading binges have happened. thank you.
1,139 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »