Reviews for In Days of Gold
Hawki chapter 1 . 10/9/2018
So, this is hard to review in a sense, in that the majority of the ficlet is taken up by the song, said song meaning to be, well, sung, rather than read – least as far as its rhyme structure goes (or lack of it). If anything, I can certainly give you props for somehow stringing together something based on Tarva and Alambil which are, what, mentioned once in ‘Prince Caspian’ as an excuse to get Caspian in one of the towers?

Still, while I’m hesitant to give any kind of indicator on quality (partly because I’m not sure how to evaluate the song), I do want to give it props for its...essence, I guess? As in, barring anything else, it does give a sense of culture to the Narnian setting that the books only touched at, that we get a sense of how people in the setting go about their business (or at least did) during Narnia’s golden age. So, good job there.
JustValiant1717 chapter 1 . 10/6/2018
It's 2 a.m. on my side of the world and I've only had less than 10 hours of sleep in 5 days, so pray, forgive me if I sound incoherent and uncharacteristic in any way. But MAN!

Man, man, oh MAN! I have read this six times now since you published it-I can probably recite it like a declamation piece with a little bit of coaching and verbal cues from time to time! UGH! I thought the excerpt found in Measure was beautiful. The whole thing is just UNBELIEVABLE! INCREDIBLE! I am MIND-BLOWN and honestly so jealous of both the entire song and the legend of Tarva and Alambil! It's just so beautiful, my friend! If I have to pick one word to describe it best, it would definitely be BEAUTIFUL. Heartrending is a very close second, followed perhaps by graceful. And girl, you can never go wrong with Royal Speak!

I am not pulling your leg or trying to kiss up because you have gifted this to me-I'm one of the few people who actually loved the songs from LotR, but this is BY FAR my favorite song from ANY high fantasy literature I've ever read! It reminded me of A LOT of Heather Dale's/Celtic Women's songs (both of whom I LOOOVE!), and also a bit of Ryn Weaver, Regina Spektor, and some of the recent works of Evanescence frontwoman Amy Lee. And oh! The more wholesome, romantically historic songs of Björk! Lion's Mane! Could any of the artists I just mentioned PLEASE record this song? Could you send the sheet music to any of them? More importantly, do you have a melody for this song? Because if you do, PLEASE send it to me! Ah!

I absolutely CANNOT choose just one line from the song I love the best! I love EVERYTHING! I love the beginning which originally appeared in Measure, the circular ending-the way Alambil implored Tarva to return home with (to the same tired chores and quiet days of gold that he had gladly left behind). There was something about those very simple, deceptively mundane lines that tugged harshly on my heartstrings. It made me think of a very young soldier, lying on the field of battle covered in mortal wounds, and yet yearning for nothing more than to hear his mother perhaps puttering around the kitchen, or sewing away in her machine, or thoss days when his siblings would steal his socks for a dog to chew on! AH! I just impaled my heart with my own musings! I love the very last verse, telling the father that his children are immortalized in the skies-until Aslan calls for them and the stars rain down from the Heavens. I love everything in between. I just love it ALL. Okay?

One tiny suggestion I would make, though, as someone who has written quite a few songs over the years, is to avoid adjectives and adverbs-to keep each individual lines shorter (I've found that staccato always works best in songs with a storytelling quality to them, just like the song Battlefield by SVRCINA. Ugh! So beautiful!). One example of the top of my head is the line wherein Tarva's sword is in "mortal combat crossed". I would have preferred for the word "mortal" to be omitedas it can be inferred that his life is in great peril without using the word, I guess. STILL! I wish I'd written this whole song myself! I will take it. ALL OF ITwhatever minor preferences I may babble about.

Okay. Three stray observations and I am done: I'm getting the impression from this fic that Gale is very young. NOT immaturejust young. Probably as young or only a year older than Peter. How old is Gale? Why was Peter fingering his dagger in the beginning upon seeing bard Edmund? Was that code for 'I'm gonna kill you, little bro', or he was squeezing a knife for cutting his meal in his frustration? Lastly, is there a whole espionage situation going on with bard Ed? And are we ever gonna have a one-shot of that if this is indeed an adventure?

I have nothing left in me now, except to say thank you, thank you, thank you with all my heart for sharing this fic and dedicating it to me! YOU are the one who is endlessly inspiring! Oh, dear A, I love you so! C: Thank God for your beautiful, talented, kind heart and for your life! :3
Guest chapter 1 . 9/1/2018
I loved this, and I love you, but it’s true I would like you to continue on Measure you write wonderfully. Thanks! Please keep going!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/31/2018
beautiful!
Aslan's Daughter
PadrePedro chapter 1 . 8/31/2018
I was not asking nobody in particular where next chapter of your main story is
because something good is always worth a wait!
I really loved the description of the royal brother connection and tension
very well worth to enjoy (ryme or not, matters nay here)!
Thx
Daughter of Eve3 chapter 1 . 8/31/2018
I love it:) The Ballad and it made me cry a little. Great job.