Reviews for By Light Beguiled
Glory Bee chapter 9 . 7/5/2012
One of the most compelling writings of this tale that I have read, the juxtaposition of the twins, both the kinslayers and Elrond/Elros was very powerful.
RavenLady chapter 10 . 3/8/2005
*dances* I've been looking for a novel-length Earendil/Elwing fic for a long time. This story brings them to life beautifully. It's rare to see a Third Kinslaying fic from the Sirion perspective, and I was glad to see it here. The Feanorian perspective was well done too, unflinching but not entirely unsympathetic. And the twins were cute.

Elwing's faith in and attachment to the Silmaril, to the extent of sleeping with it, was frightening. The speaking stones were a haunting touch. If I remember correctly, there's a similar passage in FotR, something about the stones in the ruins of Eregion lamenting its fall. Well, why not the ruins of Sirion?
Bejai chapter 10 . 8/1/2003
Bravo! Beautifully written and masterfully done. I quite enjoyed this tale.
Bejai chapter 9 . 7/30/2003
Haunting, chilling. I love how you make the Feanorians sympathatic, despite their horrible deeds. And I've often wondered if Elros and Elrond were hurt during this battle. Poor Earendill and Elwing, who think their sons are dead! I eagerly look forward to each update of this story; it's quickly becoming one of my very favorites.
Bejai chapter 6 . 7/12/2003
Somehow I missed the last two updates of this story! That just made it so I got a nice long stretch, though. This is such a facinating story, an angle I have never seen explored. So utterly refreshing, so brilliantly done. Looking forward to more!
Earonn chapter 7 . 7/11/2003
Thank you for telling me that I'm not too dense to understand the course of a story. ;)

Never mind, just go on with the tale!
Furius chapter 6 . 7/10/2003
That was very very disturbing, the Silmaril I mean- you definitely portrayed their terrible charm well. The chapters are great, a lot of pent up emotions that doesn't seem will get to be released anytime soon...

I really wonder at their marriage, when both parties are lost...

I think this is one of the few fics that really looks at the events at Sirion in Sirion's perspective, rather than Feanorians. The journey of Cirdan to his audience with Gil-Galad is the chillingest part of the story, mostly because we already know what's going to happen..but really..they don't. The pause of Cirdan at the palace door seemed very appropriate and that is a quite original interpretation of Gil-galad there. Kudos to you.
Delphinidae chapter 4 . 6/1/2003
Another nice chapter to read... I loved the descriptions of Elrond and Elros especially. The little mackerel pillow and the know Elrond found himself preoccupied by were great. :) I'm also clearly feeling any frustration that anyone who knows better than to trust the Silmaril in the story feels when I hear Elwing talking or even see that she's wearing it. I loved Cirdan's comment: "And the offer remains open," Cirdan smiled, "very much unlike my eyes. By your leave, I wish to retire for this night... " though I don't know whether you prefer to portray the Elves as sleeping with their eyes open or closed.

My favorite line was: "The Sea is a good and final place to be rid of something for ever." That just means a lot to Tolkien's stories, even when it comes to decisions on what to do with Sauron's Ring. _
Bejai chapter 4 . 6/1/2003
This is facinating exploration of a seldom writen time, and a story where I wait eagerly for the next installment.
Delphinidae chapter 3 . 5/9/2003
Wow, great chapter... I think you're doing a great job developing Earendil's character and Elwing's (and Sirion's) obsession with the jewel. It's easy to see how it's slowly poisoning her mind (and the townspeoples') into thinking it's a blessing when it will eventually be town's downfall. I also love how perceptive Cirdan is in this story. It fits what of his character Tolkien actually wrote about and gives him a life I never really saw from him in the books.

I think my favorite line is this one: "Only failure could bring shame to his purpose, thus he simply must not fail at it." It seems very fitting for Earendil (possibly a lot of Tolkien characters) and a great line in general.
KestraObsessed chapter 2 . 4/29/2003
...I do so love this story. Earendil (forgive the absence of accent marks over the 'e') is such a personable but melancholy figure, and I love him for it. I am also most impressed with your representation of the town of Sirion and ever await more word from you. (And your Elrond and Elros stories which I grow fonder of with the passing of each day.)

Do continue on and I await the glorious day you post again.

~The Bunny
Aria7 chapter 2 . 4/28/2003
Ah baby Peredhil! Everybody say ah, ah.*grins*

Love your work afterever though my computer doesn't like anything even remotely resembling a pop-up review box included! *growls*

But anyway great story, and I can't wait to read more of it.

Even better is the fact that both Earendil and Elwing aren't shown as being cruel parents who don't care at all about their children.

So two thumbs up!

Toodles!

_
Delphinidae chapter 2 . 4/26/2003
I like the details in this story, and in this chapter- I get a stronger and more convincing mental image of Elwing and Earendil's house in this story than I do in most others (simple stuff like the wicker chair next to the window does it _) and the little things that can pretty much foreshadow Elwing's decision to jump into the ocean saving the Silmaril but leaving her sons. You can see her flaw very well (not only that, but how this flaw reflects the danger of Silmarils and the problems with tempting jewelry in Tolkien's universe) without making her into some cold or bland character. Same goes for Earendil and his sea longings. They seem very... the word would generally be "human," but I guess what I should say is "realistically flawed" or something. _;

Finally, I absolutely love the last three sentenses. I love omniscient third person POV revelations of when people try to rationalize potentially dangerous negligence, actions, and feelings. :)
Bejai chapter 2 . 4/26/2003
Another excellent chapter, and beautifully done. You are covering so much uncharted territory in this story, one I have always hoped to see done, and done well. Eagerly awaiting more!
KestraObsessed chapter 1 . 4/20/2003
...You are writing again! I loved your story "Surrogate Jewels"! I was wondering what happened to the sequel you spoke of...The Bunny sends her apologies for not reviewing, but she was reading it at school using Netscape which does not cooperate...

I am ever a fan of Earendil who happens to be one of the most awesome and underappreciated characters of the Silmarillion. yes, I believe him under appreciated, not because of a lack of mentions, but a lack of history...other than being seven years old when Gondolin was destroyed, and He and Elwing's relationship "as girl and boy" which resulted in two sons, not much else is said...

I implore you to write more! More Earendil if you will for I am very fond of him and his little household of Peredhil (that's the plural, right?).

Ta ta for now.