Reviews for Echoes of the White Horn
quaff chapter 9 . 8/6/2012
This is a great story. Thanks for writing it.
Darkover chapter 9 . 5/20/2011
Dear Partners in Crime: You write a good story, so IMHO, yours is a partnership that should continue! This story is only AU as far as we know, as I know of nothing in canon (not that I am an expert) that would eliminate the possibility of such a meeting as portrayed here. Your descriptions are very good, and you did a good job of portraying a young Faramir and Boromir. I thought Faramir's worries about what Denethor would have to say were just right, as it seems likely that Denethor would blame his younger son for any problems that might occur. I very much enjoyed reading this story. That said, I do have a few criticisms. First of all, in the earlier chapters, it was not always clear when you were depicting the thoughts of Faramir, and when you were depicting the thoughts of the person who turned out to be Aragorn. That was a bit confusing at first. Second, the swordfight between Faramir and Aragorn struck me as unrealistic. Getting into a physical fight with someone with the idea of hurting them as little as possible is an action almost guaranteed to result in pain and probable defeat for the person who started the fight. Besides, if I were in Faramir's position and some stranger had just jumped me and then told me he meant me no harm, not only would I not believe him, I would be thoroughly angry. Of course, Faramir is a different person than I am, but I'm just saying that if Aragorn's intent was to show the other person that he meant no harm, drawing weapons on him was a strange way to show it. Yes, I understand that at that point, Aragorn was unsure as to whether this boy he had just encountered meant any harm to the young man who was just rescued from the water, but it seems to me that keeping a bit of distance, asking a few salient questions, and observing Faramir's actions and responses would have been a more reasonable and intelligent way of going about it. In this story you are portraying a much-younger Boromir and Faramir, which is why I can believe that Faramir would let himself be taken off guard, but Aragorn is still a mature man, and taking the approach he did strikes me as out-of-character. Of course, his taking a different approach would have meant a less-thrilling story, too, as the swordfight gave us some action, so maybe I'm being too picky. Faramir and "Strider" did not exchange names until the moment of their departure, and that struck me as rude-and therefore very much out-of-character for Faramir. Wary as they were of each other, I don't believe either Faramir or Aragorn would have left things at a "hey, you" level all night. Again, perhaps I am nitpicking. In spite of the criticisms I have offered, please understand that I very much enjoyed reading this story. I think you Partners had a good idea for a plot, and that you developed it well. I also liked the way you added the passage with Gandalf at the end. I hope that your literary partnership continues, and that you write more LotR stories. Thanks for writing and posting this one. Sincerely, Darkover
LadyBranwyn chapter 1 . 10/31/2010
Adding this to my favorites-marvelous story! I wish you had written more.
Madam Author chapter 9 . 5/8/2005
I really liked this and it is not as far fetched as you seem to think given your author's note. Perhaps strictly it could not have happened but it is a fun scenario to think about. I liked it a lot!
Elenyil chapter 9 . 5/13/2004
...WOW! So good! I was very addicted! Nice job! I expecially loved the interaction between the boy Faramir and the more experienced Aragorn! Very nice! I love the connections too, the way you sort of weaved everything together! Well written!
Samwise the Strong chapter 9 . 9/27/2003
Yay! Fabulous story. I absolutly loved it! Please join my group, we need more good fan fic writers and you are very good. my group is located at groups/peopleoftolkien. Please come and join and share ur lovely stories. TY.
anonymouslump chapter 9 . 9/7/2003
*applause* do i smell a sequel? theres nothing wrong with stretching canon, don't worry. a very entertaining story.
Susan chapter 8 . 9/1/2003
I do hope that the next chapter is coming soon. It's been more than a month. Good luck with everything!
Susan chapter 8 . 8/16/2003
I do hope you all get back to this story soon! I miss it! Glad to see Aragorn gave him his alias. Again, hope to see more soon.
Gypsie Rose chapter 8 . 7/25/2003
I'm sorry to see Strider leave, but I think you handled this meeting very well; not too much information given away on either side (nothing to mess with canon), and now he and Faramir can part with mutual respect if not actual friendliness, while Boromir misses the whole thing by being out cold. Nicely done.

(Peeking at the notes) Faramir has a thing about falsehoods? Meaning he'd know if someone were lying to him, as with Gollum?

Lirenel chapter 8 . 7/24/2003
Hey, does Strider know that Faramir is the son of the Steward? I don't know if Faramir is a common name so it could be feasible that Strider figured it out. Please update soon!
Susan chapter 8 . 7/23/2003
Glad to see the story continued finally! :D Poor Faramir got suckered into telling Strider more than he meant to about Gondor's defenses. hee hee Oh well. At least Strider finally told Faramir his name. :) This was a good chapter. Hope the next one comes out soon!
Anita H chapter 8 . 7/20/2003
Haha...but you will meet him again Faramir dear :) Now in my book they don't meet untill Aragorn come to Minis Tirith to claim the throne...but I got a feeling that they will meet I right? :)
Susan chapter 7 . 7/10/2003
I do hope the next part comes soon! I can't wait to read more of this wonderful story!
Susan chapter 7 . 6/26/2003
hmm...wonder why Aragorn doesn't just tell Faramir his Ranger name of Strider or Estel or some other name if Faramir ever remembers to ask? I do hope we get to see this conversation when it happens. I wonder if Faramir will give their truthful names or not?

Another great post, PIC! Can't wait for the next one!
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »