Reviews for How to Win a Crown
GreenWithAwesome chapter 54 . 4/18/2020
Doing this before I completely forget: congratulations on finishing HWC! It's been such fun following this story and the shenanigans, even the heart-breaking ones. Super pleased to see Brendan win, even if I was pulling for Jed; with all their challenges and Brendan's anti-monarchist sentiment, they worked better as a couple. (Also now I consider all of Pocket's oneshots canon. You have brought this upon yourselves.)

It's so cute to see how the other characters got along too! Evie in public relations! Jed being an LGBT rights campaigner! Happy Spencer and Akio! ALSO IVY AND CHRISTIAN. YAY. THANK YOU FOR NOT KILLING THEM (I'll take losing an eye).

Hype train has left the station for How to Save a Crown and Ray/ Brendan's mushing-of-genetics baby. Congrats again! :D
OctaviaWithStarsForEyes chapter 54 . 4/4/2020
So we're finally at the end. What a good run we've had :) Although I did call Brendan as winner, I can't help but be a little bit bummed. Oh well, at least Jed can move onto bigger and better things. Proud of him. (And maybe he can return with a hot boyfriend in the sequel! haha jk...unless? :eyes:)

I don't have much to say in this review except that you've done a phenomenal job with this story, I'm so proud of you for getting through it, and I can't wait to see the sequel! Your writing has grown so much, so I think we both know everything you do from here on out will just get greater and greater. Cheers, oz! and may HWC rest in peace. We love you, king.
Sylea chapter 54 . 4/3/2020
That's so perfect I love it!
I'm so overjoyed for everyone!
I'm so happy Akio and Spencer could adopt a little girl, I guess she will be the cutest ever. Will she be in HSC I wonder.
Also, that's amazing Ray and Brendan could find a way to have a child with their genetics.
And I'm overly excited for the next story! ;)
Thanks Oz for this amazing story! :D
Doctor Kay Strange chapter 54 . 4/2/2020
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Slytherwitch chapter 54 . 4/2/2020
Awww i love to see that Spencer and Akio got a kid; it'll be good for them. whole, wholesome dads.
Sylea chapter 53 . 3/30/2020
OMG I can't believe it's the end! :o
And wow congrats Brendan! :D Jed made me feel so sad, but he still has his backup plan. Just like Evie.
Now I can't wait for the sequel! Please tell me if you can't find my boy's form anymore, I'll send him again. ;)
Anyway, it was an amazing journey, and I'm happy I could follow it! :D
Slyther chapter 53 . 3/27/2020
wow,,, i was wrong all those chapters ago but im excited for the sequel and the epilogue and im glad ray has his end
rysarium chapter 53 . 3/28/2020
has it been 53 chapters without a rysa review? did i binge 52 of those chapters in one day? check, double check, all the checks. so i'm dropping in now to say YAY I KNEW IT WOULD BE BRENDAN AND I'M VERY HAPPY THAT IT IS! hopefully i'll be able to actually read the sequel properly instead of binging it in one go LOL but i'm very excited for the epilogue (especially if it has brendan and ray content)

when brendan asked about that bet i was like oh man oh man it's gonna be brendan IF IT'S NOT BRENDAN THEN IMMA FIGHT BECAUSE RAY REALLY DID HIM DIRTY LIKE THAT but THANK GOD IT WAS BRENDAN 3 and the little prince nickname returns i UGH and i love how the first thing brendan reacts with is disbelief because U SILLY GOOSE AFTER ALL THIS TIME U STILL CAN'T BELIEVE RAY WOULD WILLINGLY SPEND THE REST OF HIS LIFE WITH YOU? silly goose

anyway

aww man jed and evie's reactions :') thank u for being along for the ride and i hope they find happiness (hint hint in the epilogue and sequel PLEASE)
PhoenixBird8 chapter 53 . 3/27/2020
BRENDAN WON! This is so cute OMGGG. I sound so selfish saying this, but I really hope we see Ivy & Christian in the epilogue. I also want to see more of Ray and Brendan bc this is so cute. This story has truly been amazing, and I'm so glad with where you took both of my characters & the entire plotline was just AMAZING. I'm ready for the epilogue AW!
Fairysecret01 chapter 53 . 3/27/2020
Awww, Brendan and Ray pulled through in the end I ship them they’re so cute
OctaviaWithStarsForEyes chapter 52 . 3/23/2020
Okay thoughts on this chapter. One of our last! First of all, Kara took me the fuck out. Like I don't know why she decided to be so wise and mature before leaving because it really hit different. Their relationship is actually so precious. I feel like I haven't been appreciating Drunkprince enough. You don't know what you have until you've lost it I guess. Oh well, so long, Kara. We love you, queen.

The Cicada Club was an unusual choice. It felt pretty out there for Brendan and I didn't expect him to know 1920s dance styles. I dunno, it was weird touch and I can already anticipate the guff I'm probably going to get for saying that but whatever, I think its a valid criticism. Nothing about Brendan leading up to this tells us this is the kind of thing he frequents. However, you're not to blame for that, and given the situation, it was expertly executed. The vibe was completely right and I loved the way you threw in stuff about the zoot suit and the beez neez and whatnot. Very good research, love. Also the favor right in at the end... damn, this chapter truly was a double whammy. That favor kinda sucker-punched me in the heart, tbh.

Evie felt a little...overly presumptuous if you catch my drift. Like there's nothing wrong with wanting something, but she seemed a little too confident that she's Ray's best choice. Just because she and Ray dated in the past doesn't mean she still has a leg up in this competition. Maybe in the beginning, but Ray has met a bunch of people at this point and her advantage has faded away. Plus, I'd argue that out of the top three, it feels like Ray likes Evie the most. It almost felt manipulative, the way she sort of pressured him to admit he was going to choose her. I especially didn't like "I love you, maybe more than anyone else ever could". It probably wasn't coming from that sort of place and I know I'm being picky because I don't like Evie, but it's just something I noticed.

Jed date was nice but it felt like the beginning of a goodbye. It opened in classic Jed fashion, understated and catered to make sure Ray is relaxed. He is quite conscious of the people around him, huh. The vibes were good in this date. However, when they started talking about Charlie and Jed's options, I sort of sank a lil. I think Fairy said this, but the discussion of options made it pretty clear that Jed's backup plan is going to be put into effect. Why would it have been brought up otherwise? Tbh I've known for a while that Jed wasn't going to win, but I'm proud of him making it to top 3. Really, it was when HSC began spilling deets and I saw the kids were a brother and a sister when I know for a fact, Jed and Ray's kids were both girls. Rip to Posie and Hazel, the children who never were (unless...they end up happening with some other mans after the Selection?). Of course, I still hope to see Uncle Jed coming around HSC? Maybe with a hot and successful husband of his own? Haha jokes. We'll see anyway. I look forward to the next chapter, even though it means this legendary story is coming to an end. Cheers, darling!
Sylea chapter 52 . 3/21/2020
If I was Ray, I would definitely choose Jed. But Evie and Brendan are both amazing too, so I absolutely understand how hard the choice is.
Anyway, I’ll be happy with anyone he chooses ! :)
Also I can’t believe this is almost the end !
a singular dream chapter 52 . 3/20/2020
Hmmm, yeah, I agree with the others, Brandon has much more of a chance versus Evie. Ray's reaction to him asking to be told about leaving before had major 'could i do that' vibes, and if Ray is questioning if he can tell the second place that it's not him, then he either still has some character development left to do or it's Brendan. They def fit together.
Fairysecret01 chapter 52 . 3/20/2020
I’m going to do some serious analysis here.

It’s obviously not Jed. He was asking what Jed’s back up plan was, and he decided who he wanted to be with on Jed’s date.

So that leaves Evie and Brendan.

Brendan I feel like has a good shot, the only thing that worries me is that Ray didn’t know his choice on the date with Brendan but knew it with Jed, so that’s kinda a red flag for him.

For Evie, it’s the only date that she didn’t come up with the idea, ray did. Both Brendan and Jed chose their date spots, and it might just be another of the “guy pays the bill” throng Where since she’s a girl ray does the planning, but I don’t know.

Also for Evie, Rays problems with marrying her are the publics opinion of him not of what he thought about her.

The thing is, I was planning on Brendan winning and I kinda acknowledged that Evie had no chance, but now I don’t know. I think it’s definitely Evie or Brendan, and from what I picked up on in this chapter I think it might be Evie, but from the previous chapters I would think it would be Brendan
Sylea chapter 51 . 3/16/2020
OMG Endra I didn't see that coming! :o :o :o
Also, I still have no idea who could win, and that drives me crazy! x)