Reviews for Democracy
Gazuzin chapter 5 . 5/15
Just perfect, wish it was longer and we had seen Old Families working hard for a change, anyways thanks for writing this, cheers
Nebresh chapter 5 . 4/25
Still a very good story!
observentuser chapter 5 . 4/19
I have to say, staying up till past 5am to finish this story was a brilliant idea. This has to be the funniest post Battle of Hogwarts and political upheaval story I have read. Thank you so much for this :-)
DeadFish37 chapter 5 . 4/19
This is brilliant. Great work. Hearing it told from Neville's point of view is refreshing, and I almost felt sympathy for him - somehow, the story feels more substantive with this tinge of melancholy than a triumphal story from Hermione's point of view ever could.
Jo Cook chapter 1 . 4/10
thanks
Joshuajgb chapter 5 . 3/17
10/10, I loved it. Especially that final line.
Almanaro Alcarafinwe chapter 4 . 12/10/2021
Based and redpilled. This has been an absolute pleasure to read.
Almanaro Alcarafinwe chapter 1 . 12/10/2021
Thank you, a fic that points out the blatant muggle wanking
dude356 chapter 5 . 11/29/2021
Oof! This story really had me on edge the entire time, especially as the conflict came so close to civil war.

I wouldn't say that I hated Neville in this story, but it's one of the few times that I've disliked him without the author turning him into a full-fledged Dark Lord.

I suppose he gets points for not having his head so far up his ass that he didn't realize what would happen if a family of muggleborns was prosecuted for something that a pureblood family takes for granted, and quashing it before it had a chance to spark a war when tensions were already high.

That being said, it's a shame that it took that to make him realize that this wasn't a fight that he was going to win, or that he didn't realize early on that it was the system he thought so highly of that allowed things to get to that point in the first place.

The system he supported was so corrupt that it allowed people who did wrong to walk free as long as they had enough gold and then let them have a say in government policy, but imprisoned people whenever the Minister wanted to be "seen to be doing something".

So corrupt that, on the whim of an administration (and one of the aforementioned people with lots of gold), Harry came thisclose to being expelled for preventing himself and his cousin from being Kissed by a dementor, then slandered in the press and tortured by a member of government for speaking a truth it didn't want told.

So corrupt that the same government that just tried to kill Harry, then tried to kick Harry out of their society when that didn't work, then slandered/tortured him when that didn't work realized that his name had power and decided to try to exploit it by turning him into a Ministry mouthpiece.

So corrupt that the wrongdoers with all that gold were allowed to infiltrate the government and take it over very shortly after one of the few people who seemed to be trying to do anything to stop it was assassinated.

Finally, so corrupt that the same person who tortured Harry for speaking the truth, after the coup by Voldemort, was given the power to imprison muggleborns for being muggleborns; and have Kissed any who resisted too much.

I don't know how Neville could have looked back at all that and thought that a government run by Purebloods, many of the same Purebloods that allowed everything that caused both wars to happen by their actions and/or inactions, was not going to make muggleborns and half-bloods feel like second-class citizens, or worse.
SayjinLord chapter 5 . 11/21/2021
Excellent story
Kai chapter 5 . 11/9/2021
Hermione is a stubborn person. Spew proved that. Most house elves aren't mistreated and don't want to be freed. And they aren't freed by touching fabric anyway, they do laundry, after all. Hermione's hats were a stupid idea, because she wasn't the owner with the power to set them free. And her tenacity to oppose the Wizengamot is reaching that level of stubbornness again.

But talking against a hostile assembly, again and again and again. Making your point of view heard. Rebutting their arguments. All that without physical backup in the chamber. I mean, she knows that people on the other side of the doors support her, but in here she's alone.

That requires a shitload of courage. No wonder that an intelligent, hard-working, and ambitious girl like Hermione still went to Gryffindor. My short stint into (university) politics wasn't nearly as hostile (more like not at all, opposing yes, hostile no), but I CAN imagine being in a similar situation. I couldn't have kept up like Hermione, I would've given in earlier.

OTOH, Neville, too, surprises. I can't put myself in his place, in their quarrel I'd definitely support Hermione. But within his points of view his arguments are well-reasoned even without specifically preparing for a discussion. I think he's wrong, but he proves to be intelligent, more than all his pureblood peers. Together.
Kai chapter 2 . 11/9/2021
Of course the Wizengamot members can't know what democracy even is. Such new ideas are much too revolutionary for the Old Families to have encountered them. It's only been, what, two-and-a-half millennia since Athens was ruled by the people. It's not nearly the same as modern democracy, sure, what with keeping the power among free, male citizens above a certain income, but the basic idea? Those purebloods can't be really that ignorant, can they? OTOH, of course they can, who would teach it to them? Binns? Did they have rebelling goblins in Ancient Athens?

Yes it's clear that muggle customs are beneath them. And that Hogwarts is the best in the world. And that Dumbledore is the Greatest Goodest. In a muggle environment Hogwarts would've been closed a long time ago, and if an inspection had been conducted, say in Hermione's fifth year, covering the previous decade, about half of the staff would've been arrested with sentences from prison to life in prison, and considering the low threshold for the death penalty in Magical Britain, a couple executions as well. And most of the rest would've been fired. For their conduct, or simple fraud: they received a teacher's salary but didn't teach anything useful or even at all. In my opinion, and that is mostly based on the lack of information about those staff members, only THREE staff members would be retained: Babbling, Vector, and Grubbly-Plank.

But in "The Marriage Law Revolution", well, I love chapter 2, where Hermione takes McGonagall apart about the pile of shit that is Hogwarts. Rightfully.
Kai chapter 1 . 11/9/2021
Having read the story before: Yes, Neville, Hermione is not as powerful and respected as Dumbledore. However, she knows that, and is prepared to work within those restrictions.

But Dumbledore sat on his golden throne in Hogwarts, kept all information fanatically to himself, giving out as little as possible and even then always much to late, and, because no one knew as much as him (wonder why) and was as grand and wise as he, he never asked anybody for advice and ignored it if it was given nevertheless. Unless of course, if it fit his preconceived opinion and didn't interrupt his plans. A bit of positive reinforcement that helped his sadness that again a couple innocents had to be sacrificed For The Greater Good.

Hermione however has friends. A whole group of people behind her, planning with her, supporting her. And a large group of people not in her friends' close circle, who were persecuted by the previous administration and have no intention to accept that again. And they, the suppressed of all blood statuses, seem to be the majority. Is it a wonder that they want to take part in the government that obviously has the power to see them slaughtered for the crime of being born?
Bleucasey chapter 5 . 11/5/2021
this was great and i loved it. im a sucker for political drama. and that last line was mana to my soul
Ericaldrius chapter 5 . 10/21/2021
Have I reviewed this before?

I have read this more than a dozen times. It is, truly, one of the best stories I have ever read. Top 10 without a doubt.

Insert wide variety of emojis here.

Thank you so much for writing. This is wonderful, I have read it several times and am sorry I have not told you you how much I liked it.

Ericaldrius