Reviews for Democracy
Kai chapter 5 . 12/6/2020
I liked the first part of the "Marriage Law Revolution". The second part, however, was much too violent for my tastes.

It's nice to see that similar results, at least for Britain, can be achieved by political shenanigans. Violence was foreseeable, but didn't come to pass/wasn't necessary in the end. Very good!

However, in Neville's favour, it was unfair to make him look like a Death Eater or nearly as reactionary just to push their agenda. He is a hero and lost important family to Riddle's idiots. On the other hand, if he hadn't spoken against Hermione the first time he wouldn't have been the target. At least not to that extent.
Kai chapter 3 . 12/6/2020
Yes, democracy is terrible and a lot more susceptible to corruption than government systems where a couple chosen families have all the power. Just like the corruption ridden developed industral or service economy countries versus the ruled-fairly-by-capable-select-leaders in tribal societies in, say, sub-Saharan Africa or Central Asia.

Okay, to be fair, income inequality and corruption exists in both systems, but "just", let's call them presidents, backed by their tribes like Charles Taylor or Robert Mugabe, are famous for their low (or rather extremely high, perhaps?) level of their own corruption and that of their regimes.

While democratically elected governments, still not without their problems, like Donald Trump is one, develop. Those which have some level of democracy the longest are, funnily enough, the wealthiest societies where a service economy provides a high level of positive values (wealth, information, supply security, freedom) for the common person.

Neville's research is quite slanted in favour of what he wants to show. On the other hand, everyone does that, not just in this or other fictions. But in this case he deceived himself as well instead of only his peers. And it's a perfect example why a Utopia isn't possible in magical Britain. If even the light side families support the system that brought up one dark lord after the other and oppress everyone not of their status... Just like Molly teaches her children to ignore the squib relative. He's not magical so he's not worth any attention. And while Neville could be written differently, he WAS brought up by his extremely traditional grandmother. Of course they don't have anything against the muggleborn, but they should really know their place.
Kai chapter 2 . 12/6/2020
Yes, Hogwarts has always been the best magical school in the entire magical world. That's even the best argument to reform the society. If all magical schools are as shit as Hogwarts, or even shittier, they don't deserve a society of their own. Dumbledore's Hogwarts was a joke. The number and choice of subjects, the qualification of the teachers (and although Dumbledore bemoaned the lack of good Defence teachers most others were just as bad, in subject expertise and/or teaching ability), the facilities, the administration, and especially the very selective enforcement of rules to uphold some kind of discipline.

Well, Hermione told McGonagall in her "Marriage Law Revolution". You summarised the problems there very well and none of them was exaggerated.
greenking13 chapter 5 . 12/5/2020
Huh. While I must say I don't like the Neville of your story, I have to admit, I can see how his perception came to be. It's how he was raised, what he was taught, what he observed, all combined became what an outside perspective would view as a blood purist. From the internal view, we can clearly see that Neville differentiates himself from blood purists in the idea that it is legacy and traditions that must be upheld, rather than ones blood status, yet what he clearly ignores is that in thinking that, the ones with the most reason to uphold traditions and legacies would be blood purists themselves.

Plus, your ending of nearly sincere mockery is amazing. Democratic politics in a nutshell.

Keep being awesome, keep writing, and stay safe in these times,
Green
Tias00 chapter 5 . 12/4/2020
Absolutly Fantastic Story.
The Sky At Midnight chapter 5 . 12/4/2020
Woa, this was a really well written story! Neville, in that light was a bit disconcerting to read, but you pulled it off well. Radical ideas indeed. oh well, politics...Great work! that last bit, oh my!
Well done! :)
jp53238 chapter 5 . 11/30/2020
This is amazing. Thank you for the fantastic read
chloe chapter 5 . 11/9/2020
although i support a lot of hermione points i really started to hate hermione in this lmao
great writing i loved it!
DuxBellorum chapter 5 . 10/16/2020
I remember reading this on another website, I think it's very good. Whilst remaining understandable and even objectively still a good person, you manage to make the point of view character, Neville, an antagonist. This shows excellent skill in writing.
liz.onia chapter 5 . 10/14/2020
Great update!
WirelessW chapter 1 . 10/14/2020
"If you don't like it why don't you leave the country"

You know, it was a bold choice to name your OC Neville Longbottom when there's already a canon character with that name, but clearly your character is nothing like the real one so I suppose there at least won't be any confusion.
Antares Graceford chapter 5 . 10/12/2020
I think this is the best story I've ever read on this site. It's well written, well thought out. I dislike Neville, yes, but I also dislike Hermione in general.
The beauty of this story is the characters don't matter. The story on its own is capable of carrying itself. It's beautiful and brilliantly portrayed. The complexities and intricacies have been captured beautifully.
My only regret is not finding it earlier but I am thankful for finding it now because I'm mature enough to appreciate it all the more.
Wow.
ijpowers92 chapter 5 . 9/18/2020
Honestly, I was worried coming into this story. I've see to many similar tales devolve into radicalization and violence. With a heaping helping of Flanderization and more extreme character reinterpretation.

But, you stuck the landing. And keeping the focus on a sympathetic, but traditionally antagonistic viewpoint, you created a story that was unique in style as well as plot execution.

Great job.
Alpenwolf chapter 5 . 7/1/2020
You can't win Neville, you simply can't win anymore.
tigerFox9 chapter 5 . 6/13/2020
its kind of weird seeing neville be like this, but you did the slow descent really well. "kudos", as they say
244 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »