Reviews for Democracy
Hippothestrowl chapter 5 . 9/9/2019
Brilliant. Very good writing. Extremely original. Enjoyable and interesting drama.

- Hip
Venidici chapter 5 . 9/4/2019
Loved reading from Neville’s point of view btw. Not really sympathetic but I’ve rarely read stories where I didn’t really like the protagonist. Very enjoyable though!
Venidici chapter 5 . 9/4/2019
Never thought I’d read an interesting debate on the reformation of political powers in the wizarding world. Thank you, Well done!
Dangerouse chapter 5 . 8/31/2019
That was brilliant! I wish there was more!
Napoleon Bonerfart chapter 5 . 8/20/2019
I really hope you do a followup to this because I really like it. I’m also hoping that Hermione would take this further than the bourgeois liberalism that she advocates in this story.

I’d love to see more about Harry, Ron & Ginny and how they ended even further to the left than Hermione.
disunconfirmation chapter 5 . 8/18/2019
Suuuuch a beautiful depiction of conservatism and radicalism. There were so many subtle moments where you see Neville accomodating his allies' corruption and fascism, or stepping up his strategy into new and dangerous directions, or where you see the genuine bewilderment and grievance of those left behind by revolution. The way he simultaneously became absorbed in politicking, and got hollowed out by his own ideals because it was all uncomfortable and impolite. And I loved how you made Hermione's arguments seem shrill, extreme, repetitive. Makes me question if I'm too fixated on novelty, and don't give enough credit to figuring out the Most Important True Good Thing on an issue and saying or doing it over and over and over again.

Warning: politics rambling now. There were so many times I wanted to sit down and argue with both Neville and Hermione (separately, of course). Basically, I'd want to push Hermione further left, towards proper Marxism or anarchism. Like, her business monopoly thing seemed like class struggle between bourgeois and aristocracy, and feudal monopolies really do have their perks for both state planning and peasant resistance. Representative bodies are far from the end-all be-all of full democracy (that takes much messier economic democracy, cultural liberation, lots of smaller councils and participatory mechanisms, etc). The conflicts and opportunities that Harry and Ron have as insurrectionary police/militia members are begging for criticism, from all sides. And I know we're supposed to see her from N's pov as an arrogant ignorant sneering etc, but she really does need to make some signs of awareness that she's a very limited figurehead for groups and ideals far larger than herself. On Neville's side, I'd push him to be less of a weakly-liberal reactionary and more boldly creative about his ideals. In the aftermath of a war, when things need to be rebuilt, conservatives do have their own innovations they want to impose. A new department, or family policy, or new deference to the Wizengamot among the broader population, or something. I'd have loved for him to choose some specific issue where the magical world really is structurally different from the muggle one (or where the muggle one is fundamentally contingent or broken), and drill Hermione down on it. He does in fact have plenty of knowledge that she lacks about how and why wizards really do things, and fact-checking Hermione Granger would be super satisfying. Plus there are *tons* of side issues that he and Hermione could have been collaborating on the whole time, her going along with it for harm reduction and him trying to constantly defuse the bigger agitation. There's totally a democratic socialists / magic neofeudalism coalition agenda they could hammer out. He could've done way more to disrupt his opposition internally, too - portray Hermione as an out-of-touch elite who let her fancy office get to her head, pit the muggleborns and half-bloods against one another, stir up resentments about the war and its aftermath, or even old house rivalries, etc.

I'll admit though, Neville leading a peaceful-ish transition to representative democracy is super impressive. And yeah, the fact I put this much effort into thinking about tactics and ideology for a fanfic proves how much I loved it. Thanks for all your awesome work!
Magnanimous Architect chapter 5 . 8/11/2019
This is unique and incredibly awful. Good job.
Luminur chapter 1 . 7/15/2019
You made me hate the characters I loved and after I finished reading i felt helpless and so very angry. I never wanted to feel like this and I’m happy I didn’t write a review right after I finished because even tho I didn’t get what I wanted your writing is still incredible and ppl like you need to get recognized for their talent. Thanks for your hard work and pls keep it up
Covante chapter 5 . 7/14/2019
I really liked this ending scene. With Neville going with the whole 'die a hero or live to become a villain' vibe on Hermione (that is definitely going to happen, no telling if he'll benefit from it but somebody is going to tear her down eventually) and her throwing it back in his face. The characterisation in this one was really good and really consistent.

I would have liked to see Neville give more of the 'Might makes right' argument in the last meeting in Grimmauld Place, maybe after Ron comments on the quality of the Aurors who would support the Wizengamot and the rule of law.

Shouldn't the Weasleys be one of the Old Families though, Sacred 28 and all that? I'm assuming that's where you drew names like Fawley from so why exclude the Weasleys? The Prewetts are on that list too so... Are Arthur and Molly from minor/cadet branches? That would be a neat and simple explanation but multiple characters explicitly said the Weasleys aren't an Old Family. Is that just an AU thing?

If getting appointed to the Wizengamot with an Order of Merlin 1st class doesn't get you a hereditary seat then what does? That would have been an interesting point of contention and given more credence to the cause of legacy and Neville's motivation.
ZTKirk chapter 5 . 7/8/2019
Wow. Blown away. I think...I think I definitely hate Hermione now. Maybe forever. And to think, before I read this, I shipped Harmony. Should put a disclaimer or something about that on the front page, lol. Whether intentional or not, you’ve aptly captured today’s political climate. Amazing. Well done.
Sefera chapter 5 . 7/5/2019
I just want to say that there’s Trump add at the bottom of this that I have to block. It almost made me laugh.

Very good, though! I’m favoriting this!
Prince Pondincherry chapter 5 . 6/19/2019
I think the Potterwatch announcement is the first time I'm strongly on Neville's side against something the other side did. Hopefully they were just misinformed and not maliciously trying to make him look bad.

I think Neville's getting too caught up in opposing Hermione without realizing it. He even knew he should have just left Selwyn out to hang.

I guess Hermione and friends have finally figured out how to get the public on their side. It helps that they're adults now.

Lol. The ending is amazing. I love how Hermione's ideals mean that even when she loses in the future, she still wins.
Prince Pondincherry chapter 4 . 6/19/2019
I love the way Neville is torn between two worlds. He still agrees with his old friends on certain issues more than with his new colleagues, but he's taken a stand on the wrong side of the line.

Ooh, Percy is just the right amount of pompous to get the Macmillians to switch sides.

Good on Neville for not giving up his principles and standing up against hatred and riots.
Prince Pondincherry chapter 3 . 6/19/2019
And after the War, the Quibbler is actually considered somewhat reputable.
Prince Pondincherry chapter 2 . 6/19/2019
I don't see how "spending a year in hiding building up power, building up more power and connections over the course of another year, spending the following year figuring out how to take down your strongest enemy, and even after Dumbledore's death, taking a few more months to take over the Ministry" is "taking over the Ministry and controlling the Wizengamot in less than a week." I will admit that it sounds snappier for Hermione's argument.

I wonder if Hermione's proposal is more of a declaration of war than anything she actually expects to make work from inside the Wizengamot.

Hey, this is actually a pretty good refutation of Hermione's argument on Neville's part. And a pretty good speech all around. Interesting. I like when the antagonists are competent. (In case it wasn't clear, I'm viewing Hermione as the protagonist of this story.)
Nice. Hermione's refutation is even better than Neville's speech.

Ah, yes, Hermione was totally talking to the audience more than the actual Wizengamot.

As an added layer, the Wand-Lighting Charm was used in an official capacity in the Wizengamot, given a sheen of legitimacy to the protest for using it.

Huh. I was wondering why there wasn't a custom about alternating views earlier when Hermione had to wait for all the opponents of her proposal before she could refute Neville's speech. And now there is such a custom? Maybe Doge was letting all her opponents talk first so she could refute them all at once.

At this rate, someone in Wizarding Britain is going to create a counterpart of Godwin's Law for how often Hermione brings up Voldemort. Or really, any time ANYBODY compares their opponent to Voldemort.

It's funny seeing Neville bring up small scale as an argument against democracy, when I've often seen the argument the other way, i.e. that democracy works best at a relatively small scale.

Oh, okay, so that's not an AU change, and it IS that Neville doesn't understand Muggle Studies.
270 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 .. Last Next »