Reviews for Dating What Daddy Hates
KinkyAnonymously chapter 13 . 5/8/2019
What? Wtf mate? I'm sitting here all excited to hear what Blake has to say. What Neptune will say. Hell what was would Ozpin say! I gotta fucKIN KNOW
Veraq chapter 13 . 4/19/2019
I feel quite ambiguous about the ending of this story.
As far as the plot and logic goes, it's fine, but the core conflict of the story, the most important obstacle to overcome, is that Weiss can't date Sun if she wants to stay the heiress of the SDC. This obstacle has an immediate effect because of Azure and his family.
So between the two obstacles of Weiss having to chose between Azure and Sun with all that implies and having to decide, if she wants to try a relationship with Sun, despite the sacrifices she will have to make to stay in her father's good graces (likely meaning heavy strain or complete end of the relationship), Weiss overcomes neither obstacle and never makes a choice.
When Weiss is put in a position where she has to make a definitive choice because her father would ask her to denounce Sun after the grimm attack, Azure solves the conflict for her.
Later, Yang just explains to her, that the other obstacle is nonexistent. As I said, it makes sense, but in my mind, it is a pretty disappointing conclusion.

On the other hand, I like the message, that one can fall in love with anyone. It's much more encouraging than the whole "one true soulmate (aka one in four billion people)" thing, but also means that the work and dedication put into a relationship is as important as the people.

In any case, while a bit on the short side, the story was a very enjoyable read. I liked Sun and I'd love to see more of him. Great job!
Veraq chapter 11 . 4/19/2019
I have to say, after reading this, I really want some more Sun. Also, it's nice to see Sun and Azure having some interaction. Maybe it's because I just finished White Sheep, but having some more casual interaction instead of awkward interaction with sexual tension, is pretty refreshing.

Obviously, it's pretty much a given that Sun and Weiss will get together in the end, but I actually like the idea of this story as an arc in a larger story. Imagine a story, where Weiss decides that changing the SDC is truly more important than Sun and her life as a huntress. After this arc, they'd go back to Beacon and Sun finds, he has a very changed outlook on life and love. Weiss is set up for leaving RWBY later on, which could even come with an arc where the WF tries to kidnap her and the rest of the team has to hunt them down to prevent it. I guess that just means that this arc has good character development.

At this point, I'm actually pretty pissed at Weiss. Putting her goal above Sun is fine, but she was indecisive from the very start. It may have been different, if she brought Neptune (in my headcanon, he is the son of a rich and growing family or famous inventor or sth of that sort), but Sun being a faunus, it should have been obvious to her that Jacques would make her chose between Sun and the SDC. Weiss at that point, should have made her decision and not bring Sun at all.
In that regard, I find Jacques has a very good and justified argument. If Weiss wants to take over the SDC, she has to show her value to Jacques and the way I see it, it would be completely fine to flatly refuse to entertain her father wanting to set her up with Azure, if she proved herself more valuable than her brother over all. That's not even unreasonable from Jacques. Even if you view him as a father, it makes sense to decide inheritance based on their ability and the work they are willing put into the business.
Dimon chapter 13 . 4/8/2019
Loved the story and pairing and would definatly love to see more of this. Excellent work as always
Guest chapter 13 . 3/30/2019
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s arcanum? It’s not on your profile
gordhanx chapter 13 . 3/26/2019
Well, here we are at the end of the story. Let's see how this wraps up. Well, the conflict's finally over, and everything's returning to normal…except Weiss. Still in denial. While, she's mostly ineffective, it was still really sweet, seeing Yang trying to help Weiss and comforting her, when she needs it. It's just great, seeing more of her den mother side. And even though, Weiss continues to deny her feelings, no matter how much it hurts her, Yang still refuses to let go and continues, to talk sense to her. They have a really sweet back and worth, and Yang's advice and encouragement, do feel very passionate, like she knows what she's talking about. She breaks down Weiss' plans, and all the faults with it (as nicely as she can), and ultimately knocking her out of her funk, and making her realize, what she has to do. And thankfully, it's enough to make Weiss realize, it's time to move away from Jacques and finally live her life, the way she wants to.…but, she's still not going, to try and get with Sun. Of course she isn't… All seems lost, as Weiss' forced to watch everyone dance, behind nothing more than a third wheel. That is, until Sun shows up, recently broken up, with Blake! And after all they've been through, it was just perfect, seeing them finally patch things up and get together. The Perfect ending, to a wonderful story.

For a ship, I thought would feel a bit cracky, you did a wonderful job, making it believable and a lot of fun. The chemistry between the two was prefect, and the build up to it, was really well done. Throw in some great OCs and a simple, but still interesting plot line, and we've got a pretty good story.

And, our next outing, is called Arcanum eh? Looks like, we've got another Jaune story. Wonder, what this one will be about…
Simply Christian chapter 13 . 3/24/2019
Weiss/Sun has been my favorite “RWBY” crack pairing ever since she said to him, “I’m not quite sure how I feel about you yet!” So, as you can imagine, I was rather excited when I first saw the summary to this story on your profile.
And frankly, I have to say… you did not disappoint.

I loved the way Weiss and Sun were portrayed, and how they grew closer together.
I also loved how Weiss turned to Yang for advice; I love their friendship in the series, so it was nice to see it further expanded here.

Your distinction between jaded and cynical was pretty poignant, especially the way it hit Weiss so close to home.

I appreciate Azure’s characterization. It would have been too cliché to have him be an arrogant jerk intent on seducing Weiss. Instead, he comes across as someone in a similar situation as Weiss: under their parents’ thumb and not given freedom to make their own choices. Which makes Sun striking up a friendship with Azure all the more awesome.
There was only a minor complaint I had about Azure’s character. Generally speaking, my rule of thumb with OCs is that they should only be used when there’s a situation where a canon character cannot fit. And there is a canon character who could have easily filled Azure’s role: Henry Marigold. Perhaps it’s just me, but despite the “shallow, upper-class flirt” first impression he gave off, I got the feeling he would not be too dissimilar to how you portrayed Azure in this story, and I was rather disappointed when he seemed to be a one-off character with no further development. Given the way you redeem Team CRDL’s characters in your stories, I think it would have been a good opportunity to do the same with Marigold.
Or, considering your opinion of Volume 4, maybe you just wanted to touch as little material from it as possible.
Still, as I said, it’s only a minor complaint, and Azure was an enjoyable OC.

It was interesting to see Weiss’ plan for the SDC be deconstructed. On the one hand, I do agree that her plan of action would be a heavy burden on her shoulders, especially during the years when she would have to play the perfect daughter so Jacques would deem her an acceptable successor. And, as much as I hate to admit it, Jacques does have a point in that if Weiss wants to become a CEO of an international corporation, she should be focusing her efforts on business, not becoming a Huntress.
On the other hand, I do believe that if someone has the power and opportunity to do good, then they should do so.

Sun definitely showed significant restraint and character when he was denied service at the men’s formal wear store. Not only did he refuse to cause a scene, he remained polite and friendly. It really was the best course of action, but also the hardest.
And no, it never occurred to me that racism wasn’t a factor, and I’m baffled and disappointed that there were some who thought so. I did suspect that Jacques and/or Millenia might have had a hand in that scenario because if it were simple racism and they assumed Sun stole a Schnee business card, I would think they would have arrested him, not simply refused him service.

Given how Jacques is more of an ally when previously featured in your works (“Relic of the Future,”, “White Sheep,” and, to a lesser degree, “Service with a Smile”), it was interesting to see your portrayal of him as an antagonist. Despite your claim that his canon characterization is a “caricature,” I thought how he was shown here to be pretty close to how he is in canon: ruthless, cold-hearted, pragmatic, and controlling.
Perhaps the best scene with this was when Jacques was brow-beating Weiss into going to the dance with Azure. He really pulled out all the stops in his emotional manipulation of her, so much I would not have been surprised if he had said at one point, “Father knows best.”

I am glad Weiss was able to make the decision to break free of her father. As was pointed out by Winter and hammered home by Yang, Weiss would not be able to take control of the company for decades at least. It really would be more prudent to try a different path, be it through starting a charity as suggested in the last chapter, or perhaps by starting her own Dust company.

All in all, this (comparatively) short story of yours was certainly a treat, and thank you very much for providing us with it.
runner chapter 13 . 3/23/2019
And just like that, it was over.

Loved it.
BrokenChosenofEva chapter 13 . 3/22/2019
Absolutely beautifully written, and I love the ending. I can't get passed the ending dialogue, it just works so perfectly. Definitely just won me over to Weiss/Sun
AmaziaTheAmazing chapter 13 . 3/21/2019
d'awww!
TheoMidnight chapter 8 . 3/21/2019
I only have one thing to say.

ARRRRRRRRRRGAH! WHY MUST YOU TOY WITH US LIKE THAT?! YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ENTIRE RWBY FANDOM IN THRALL, YOU DON'T NEED OUR SANITY AS WELL!

*Ahem* That is all. Great chapter, carry on.
TheoMidnight chapter 7 . 3/21/2019
Goddamn it. So close too!
garrettkeaveny chapter 13 . 3/21/2019
now that you've finally brought up "null", Would I be correct in assuming that it was inspired at least in part by "fool's world" from akashic records of a bastard magical instructor?
Xylious chapter 13 . 3/21/2019
Like reading a light novel bought off the bookshelf. The quality of work here is just so good that if you were to have charged me for reading this I would have gladly payed. Great work!
I liked the pairing here because Weiss is stern and formal but longs to be a normal person without the weight of her legacy looming over her. Sun however is the opposite and is like his namesake, carefree and childish. He can however get serious when the situation calls for it. If they were to have gotten together they would balance each other out. Opposites attract as the saying goes.
Koema chapter 11 . 3/20/2019
Hey, this was phenomenal! This is I think the third fic I’ve read of yours, and I can say you’re the best author I’ve read recently. Nothing else I’ve read recently has drawn me into their stories like yours do.
817 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »