Reviews for Reflections of a Destroyer
runaway angel chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
This is so sad and beautiful! The way you were able to express Celes' emotions and thoughts in such a few words is amazing! Keep up the great work! :)
Eiko Makimachi chapter 1 . 4/17/2003
Great work! Finally one of your fics that isn't about Sports Night (and finally something that I know, Final Fantasy). Why don't you review more at my mail fic? Everyone is missing you! And... did you notice that the name Kefka remember Kafka, from the writer name Franz Kafka? It's simply... odd.
Lzn64 chapter 1 . 4/16/2003
First off, this is quite nice. You did a wonderful job contrasting the many opposing elements here; madness/meekness, criminal/traitor, the entire Kefka/Celes opposition was done very well. There are several things to be improved on, however! Or, at least some suggestions I have to give.

1. If you use setting a bit more, it adds a lot more drama to anything, especially in a piece meant to focus on emotion or some sort of inner feeling. You mentioned the churning sea at one point; that is the sort of thing I mean. You only get a vague impression of her surroundings other than that one sentence (which was one of my favorite parts of this, in fact.) Description as a whole, not just with the environment, can also flesh out your writing; this piece seems vaguely skeletal, as though it's merely outlining the majority of what is said.

2. Your structure is very well done, placing emphasis on several key sentences ("I always took a back seat," "You got exactly what you deserved," etc.) However, you use this technique a lot; I would probably even say you overuse it a bit. This emphasis technique is much more effective when it is used sparingly; almost all of your points were bare-bones important with little to set off their weight. I hope you understand what I am trying to say here, it is sort of difficult to explain.

In all though, this is a very nice piece of writing, and I hope you eventually attempt some more complex pieces!