Reviews for Better than Gold
Gershwhen chapter 1 . 5/26/2004
Absolutely delightful! You have a wonderful way with a phrase.

Here's hoping you'll be sharing more L&G with us in the future!
Tinkoo chapter 1 . 5/8/2004
Who knew that tales of the friendship between dwarf and elf could be so fantastically new, heart warming, and shiney eyes making? Not I!
Christina chapter 1 . 10/5/2003
I'm stunned.

As one of your previous reviewers said: how can this be criticised? It's beautiful, and very much in character. If Tolkien were alive and read it, I am certain he would laud you.

The sea-longing has taken me now.
KaterineKasdorf chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
This is so great. You really have a gift for writing living characters. I love reading your stuff because it makes me smile. Again you captured a great relationship!
Ivy Tante chapter 1 . 6/23/2003
Well, it would seem the Elf is in love - and Gimli, dear, sweet, gruff Gimli, cares for his friend too much to attempt to stop Legolas from being with 'her'.

I've read several of your fics now, and not a one has disappointed me in any way. You're a wonderful writer, don't ever let anyone tell you different!
Nenya Kanadka chapter 1 . 5/16/2003
The best Legolas love story on , AND the best Legolas & Gimli one! How did you manage it? :) This is beautiful. And I think you got their banter down well-teasing without being cruel. I liked it!

Inconsequential chapter 1 . 5/4/2003
So 'she' is the sea? Methinks this is an unnecessary abstraction... I had to read through twice to get it. My, I like Gimli as you write him, though! Real depth, and your description is nothing short of incredible. I know, usually I give longer reviews, but how can I critique something which has no flaws?

Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 5/1/2003
Beautiful! Great pictures. And I love the way you write Gimli cursing he twigs as Aule-damned, and wondering if all the trees hate him or just those he'd encountered so far. The voices and thoughts you give your characters ring very true.

I also love your way of suspense, and the idea that Legolas one true love after the ringwar is the sea, and calling her "the lady".

This is poetic!

I Like it very much. Thank you!

telmea chapter 1 . 5/1/2003
This is just plain beautiful. No complaints, except the canon-purist in me insists Gimli had no sons; but if you say so in something this nice, I'll tell the canon-purist to take a hike.
Levade chapter 1 . 4/23/2003
There are a dearth of Gimli/Legolas stories, and sadly, so few of them are good. This one is spot on! The affection between them is clear, without lessening either, but instead showing their differences in strength. I've found it a difficult relationship to write, but you make it look easy. :)

Can we look forward to more? Hope so!

Banba McCuill chapter 1 . 4/21/2003
Reading this makes me feel that Legolas and Gimli have a comfortable and pleasant friendship - that is the way I have always pictured them.

I hope you intend to write more on this story soon, if you are inspired to do so.

I enjoy your style of writing. You seem to give a clear direction to the reader on how they can use their imagination to picture something without telling them how to picture it.

By the way, thank you for your review. I appreciate and respect your candor and perspective. You were not harsh, so perish the thought!

Your facts proved true after additional research. Needless to say, I will be updating soon.

I assure you, Nargawén will not be turned into a Mary Sue. She may be a Noldor princess, but that doesn't automatically mean that Legolas is going to fall for her based on anything superficial like status, hair, etc. Deep bonds are worth the time it takes to forge them. Elves are timeless - why should they be in a hurry? ;-)

I am truly flattered that you took the time to respond with such a detailed and helpful review.

Sincerest thanks to you for sharing your knowledge with someone with as little experience as me.
MoonFire1 chapter 1 . 4/17/2003
A plague upon the stiff necks of Elves! And upon unnatural friendships, and upon the gulls that circle overhead. And upon twigs, too, while he is at it.

This story contains all I love: humor, friendship, and excellent characterizations.
Osunale chapter 1 . 4/17/2003
ooh, really good, i want to read more!