Reviews for Riddle of the Promised Land
Out of Books chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Truly, that was grand. I had just been lamenting the modern lack of intelligent discourse this game used to provoke. While I was sad that you only discussed two of the metaphysical theories, I was still blown away at how many angles to did address.
It's not a narrative story, but I honestly don't care. Bravo!
RiotDragon chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
I loved reading this, and I have a few things to add myself to your theories. If at all possible with all of your work and story writing, I would love to debate this with you as I am one of the many who have literally a library of knowledge on the game and would love to have an intelligent debate about the theorized locations of the Promised Land.

Please get back to me and let me know.

PS. Also, I know you are on Gaia Online, even though you have hardly made an appearance there. I would love to use this in the forums to spark further debate among those there. I ask your permission to use this.
Mr. Ite chapter 1 . 3/7/2007
Concerning your theory about space travel:

In Bone Village there is clearly a mostly excavated jet fighter that could have been capable of space travel. Earlier I assumed it to be Jenova's vessel until the game explained she arrived via Meteor.

Excellent essay. That's what I love about Final Fantasy VII is the possibility for philisophical debate (also the reason why I hate the sequels, they answer all the wrong questions and ask even stupider ones).
Strider Evenstar chapter 1 . 12/24/2005
interesting theories, but isn't The Promised Land that spot on the Northern Continent where the "real" Sephiroth was frozen, and Cloud turned into a zombie kinda thing and gave Sephiroth the Black Materia, then he went into the lifestream. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always got the impression that that was the Promised Land.

And interesting about Midgar being it, but doubtful. The only reason there are 8 Mako reactors there is because it's where Shinra's Headquarters are. As mentioned in the game, each sector at one time was it's own village.

I don't know, it's all too confusing for me lol. I think squaresoft needs to come out with a sequel...not Advent Children. It was a good movie, but it STILL didn't tie up all the loose ends of the game.

Well anyways, I enjoyged this and keep up the good writing.

l8er dayz
Alex chapter 1 . 4/14/2004
Both Hojo and Sephiroth say the North Crator is the promised land.
The Promised land was said to have an abundance of Mako, like the North Crator.
Yes that is also where Jenova hit, but Maybe she hit there on purpose as her mission was after all to wipe out the ancients.
Hojo doesnt belive its the promised land but becomes totally convinced when he sees the weapons there, so we can assume the promised land is where they are supposed to be.
Also Jenova and Sephiroth want to abuse the power of the Promised land so it cant be a coincidence they all hang around the same place. Why else would Sephiroth be exactly where Jenova was 20 years ago if it sint the promised land. Do they both just get really turned on by the color green?
Dawnatella chapter 1 . 11/3/2003
This is quite intriguing.I don't usualy read fics in this series but I thoguht I would try well written and thought out.
Peter J Marcroft chapter 1 . 5/23/2003
I have actually updated this essay since I posted it however the second version is not online yet, will do when I have a copy on my HD.

This new version actually does consider the lifestream and plus goes into more depth about some of the other theories considering some of the flaws that I originally overlooked.

But yeah thanks for reading.
Deej Dateh chapter 1 . 5/23/2003
Interesting. I never thought about the Promised Land much. You are a true philosophor.

However, I have one more theory for you to consider. You can find unhappieness or discomfort anywhere. So, I believe that the Promised Land doesn't have a phisical place; that it exsits outside of what most of us humans consider reality. Perhaps "The Promised Land" is what the Ancents called heaven(or something like that).

To tie in the mako energy, you have to consider that a gathering of souls is a lot of mako energy.

My theory concludes that the "Promised Land" is in fact the Lifestream. Seems fitting that the last conflict between Sephiroth and Cloud would be in the Promised Land? And that Cloud sees a glimse of Aeris afterwards?