Reviews for In the Forests of the Night
DiaSphere chapter 14 . 10/18/2014
well beside the positive critisism I must say that the beginning of your fic was more to my liking. It is still a
grand fic, but it kind of lost it's meaning. When I read it it's like running against a wall, I read and read and it's still the same. I must complimate you for writing such a complex fic, but perhaps it was a bit to much.
DiaSphere chapter 9 . 10/18/2014
Wow again...
That is really a complicated story. I really had to be careful not to get confused. Now it will go back to Sai,
can't wait
DiaSphere chapter 5 . 10/18/2014
That's the only thing I can think about this chapter. I don't know what to write, it's absolutly BRILLIANT.
I've never read a fanfiction like this and I will stop my review here, because I must hurry to the next chapter! See you later
Aloever chapter 19 . 12/21/2013
I really liked this story. It was really absorbing- I finished it in one sitting. Your a really good writer, good luck with any future stories!
LadyCapuccino chapter 18 . 11/25/2013
I really liked this story, it's a rare sight a stpry like this in the hng fandom.
Sometimes I felt that the Bad Guy (dont remember his anme) was a little boring with all his torturing and stuff - it took too long! - and other times, I had no idea what was truly going on (that last battle), but I really really liked this fanfic and I'm forever rereading this from now on.
Thank you for posting it and for working so much in doing so - 18 chapters, 18 long and well written chapters! haha
RustedEagleWings chapter 19 . 9/25/2013
So amazing. I started it and couldn't stop until I finished. There was the perfect amount of humor to make the serious parts not too serious and I absolutely loved everything. Almost none of my predictions came true except for the one that did and I wished it hadn't. It is an absolutely captivating story an so wonderful. Amazing job!
Namikozaki chapter 17 . 8/8/2013
This was amazing! Words can't describe how touching and beautiful this story was! This should have been canon! And that Naruto reference XD cheered me up after the bloodbath! Thank you for sharing your story with us! We sincerely appreciate it!
Namikozaki chapter 16 . 8/8/2013
I saw a mistake in this chapter. I absolutely adore this fic, so I can't leave a mistake mar the utter genius work you have put into this. Since Sai is with Hikaru at this time, he couldn't have met Yashiro yet, because this is way later in the canon storyline. Just wanted to point that out to you. Good job on this! It almost seems like canon!
Fiorea chapter 17 . 5/25/2013
I have many favorites, but there are very few stories that I consider stunning and brilliant and educational. This is one of those few. With each chapter, I feel like I learned so much about writing. On top of that, I love Osusuki; his flaws, way of speech, and everything else make him oddly honest and charming. Thank you for the wonderful read.
Vheeri The Succubus chapter 2 . 6/17/2012
I was truley interested in reading this, but all that random Japanese really got distracting and I decided to end it here. For a story in English, I generally ignore honorifics or titles. But using Japanese words or phrases is really off putting. Now, things that can't be directly translated or appear in the English version of the series, I do find alright. Like Sensei or Okkublah however it's spelled when they start a match. From what I've read, you do put a good amount of detail into things, and I think the characters are well done, but..."Gomen nasai" isn't working for me.
TripOverFlatSurfaces chapter 18 . 4/4/2012
Geez, Hikaru, as if people didn't have a hard enough time understanding you already. Whew, you did a really amazing job with this story. It was very confusing, mind you, but in...a good way. Sort of. Like waking up from a dream you only half-remember, which totally fits the spirit world theme. The character interactions were deep too; in what way, I can't really tell you, but they were. :D
Tobias chapter 18 . 2/18/2012
This is so amazing it brought tears to my eyes. When you said that you were worried about the ending, I am glad to inform you that both the first ending and the epilogue were written splendidly. At first, this seemed to be a Halloween (or, rather, Setsubon story, but I am just referring to the category) story, but it blossomed into so much more. Even so, it is all the greater for its start. I tip my metaphorical hat at the way you didn't do the 'big reveal' or promise of to Touya-san, which, in my opinion, was more realistic and landed the story safely. I also appreciate the acknowledgement of how Sai cannot stay with Hikaru forever, that most things are unnapreciatef until they ate gone. It fits. Everything fits and twists and turns like the currents of a river; it sparkles and glistens at times, but it still hints at depths that pull the mind into the dark current of thought. I was swept away. A bit on your humor- it had me almost rolling on the floor. Hikaru's reactions to the situations in which he had been placed were dramatic and humorous, but not overly so as to make the story just pointless silly. I appreciate the Naruto reference, and quite agree with Osusuki on the matter. "a child's bellybutton, of all things." This was a once-in-a-lifetime story, whose attention I am sure my cat envied. Thank you for providing me with something so breathtaking.
ZiYu chapter 18 . 11/8/2011
Though I have not perused the archives of a wide array of mangas (or any other category), I've certainly read plenty of stories on fanfiction, from the fantastic to the utterly atrocious. And I'm happy to be able to come across this monster of fic, even if it has been years since its completion.

I can't quite remember reading another story that was so riveting. And I wasn't expecting to embark on such a profound reading experience either. Was expecting a horror story, or some hilarious comedy touched by the supernatural, but not, well, this.

Your writing style is breathtaking. It fits so well with the world of immortals and wandering spirits. There's a surreal sort of beauty to it - so even if you didn't succeed in scaring the living daylights out of your readers, you still successfully established a wonderful atmosphere.

The amount of detail and depth you work into the original characters is amazing, too. Especially Osusuki. Your portrayal of him felt really convincing and genuine and real, as if he was truly living(-but-not? P).

But what I liked most was how you explored the connections and complicated emotions that knit Sai, Torajiro, and Hikaru together. Sugawara too (sometimes his speech reminded me of Golem's, though maybe that's just me bringing ideas in). How Hikaru struggled and wallowed in confusion and grasped for insight - of himself, on Sai, and concerning everyone he shares a bond with. Truly, the dialogue in this piece, the emotional struggles and the frustrating running-in-circles caused by confusion/denial/disbelief/fear were terrifyingly striking in their realistic quality. Words spoken by characters have rarely felt so natural, so heartfelt, so true.

In fact, a night has never felt so long before. Your patience and painstaking attention to detail is commendable. Seriously. *bursts in wild applause*

(And because I have to mention it: I loved Hikaru's snarky lines. I think every single one managed to ellicit a chuckle from me at the very least.)

This is just the kind of story that brings out the thoughtful, musing side of a person. Thank you so much for writing such a wondrous and satisfying story! n_n
ensis013 chapter 19 . 10/5/2011
This is AMAZING! I wish there was a movie about this, I bet it would be so awesome! And Sai disappeared in the end right? And I am guessing that Hikaru is paying his respects to the kitsune at the end?

I read the whole thing in one sitting and I was totally blown away. The starting was super creepy I tell you that. I was cursing Hikaru for being such an idiot and not turning back, since people with common sense knows that it's not smart to walk through a graveyard when it's Setsubon. And Hikaru's rudeness gave me heart attacks, especially when he insulted Osusuki and kept bickering with Sai. Though his name calling was damn amusing, especially with all the modern terms fitted in. The middle was filled with tension and suspense and I was going 'Oh Shit. Oh Shit. Oh Shit. They'regonnadieeee.' Since Lord Amatsu Mikaboshi was cheating and bullying Sai into losing too. Towards the end, I was cheering Hikaru on, since Lord Amatsu Mikaboshi was being a total ass-turd. And I am SOO glad that Hikaru won. A 'neeh' to you Lord Amatsu Mikaboshi.

I think that my favourite OC is Osusuki, since he strikes me the tragic character who has to live through the consequences of his actions. And I love the mental image of little Sai scratching his ears or riding on his back. The end reference to Naruto (?) was awesome though (I immediately connected it to Naruto, though it might be a different anime that you were refering to).

Though I am still sad that Sai disappeared, though I got a premonition when reading Osusuki's parting words, after re-reading that. I still think that this would make an AWESOME Hikago movie, and would dearly love if it could be animated. Everything was just beautiful, mystical and full of tension, suspense and character. This is THE most enjoyable Hikago fanfic that I have read on the supernatural subject. Kudos to you, Murinae!
Nocturnal Smile chapter 19 . 8/2/2011
Wow, this was incredible! I love the way you describe the spirit world, your imagery's lovely while still being really, really creepy. I wasn't sure where this was going to end up, so I ended up reading the entire thing in a night since I just had to know. You've written a compelling story, and I like how Hikaru gets to work out his issues while we get to see the more serious side of Sai. There was so much tragedy, but I think the characters managed it well. Loved the OCs and loved your story!