Reviews for In the Forests of the Night
AmunRa chapter 18 . 1/16/2007
I just wanted to say that this is one of the best fanfics I've read. It's very imaginative, creative, and absolutely spell binding. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, and your use of Japanese legends and myths really added depth and character to the story.

Thank you very much for sharing the story.
AmanumaTheGamemaster chapter 19 . 12/28/2006
I finished reading your story about half an hour ago. I took a few minutes to calm down. I copied it into word. I sent an email with a link to a fried. And I reaffirmed my decision to not review.

Then I read over the horribly cheesy email I'd sent my friend- horribly, terribly, awfully cheesy, true, but also what I really felt. And it's novel length, and lots of words are italicised, which won't come through when I paste it in here, but I've decided I have to send this to you. Because I didn't know what to say, how to express the ways your story had touched me. And then I tried to write it out to her, and I realised it wasn't really that hard, after all. Mumbo jumbo, maybe. Ridiculous and cheesy, definitely. Something you think you'd only see in movies, or sappy novels. But true. God, so true. So... Please take this in the spirit it was meant, and not as the ramblings of a crazy person. Because maybe I am crazy, but I've felt something in this- and I feel you deserve the opportunity to know how deeply you've touched me. Here is the email I sent my friend, in it's entirety: and please remember, I mean every superfluous, sappy word.

"Well. As I'm sure you know, it's not often I'm left speechless. But god- did this fic do it for me. It's just... So overwhelming and amazing and completely unrivaled that I couldn't even bring myself to leave a review, because if I did I knew it would be terribly inadequate, and I'd just be stumbling over my words and leaving the author with a whole buckedload of nothing. I even saved it to Word- which I haven't done since my reading Inuyasha fic days, which ought to tell you something- and I'm going to reread it ASAP. It's HnG, and I know the first chapter makes it not seem like much- I was thinking it'd be mainly humor, and a nice break from my usual angst. Well. That didn't turn out so well. : ) Always felt sort of resentful towards Torajiro, for Hikaru's sake, but jeez... No more! Just... Go read it. Please. And don't put this one on the backburners for forever. This seriously needs to be next on your list of things to read. Like it beats Saving Connor. Which again ought to tell you something. It's 18ch and one of notes, but only really 10 ch, because the chaps are so long they're split into As and Bs. Don't get the feeling from the fact that I'm reccing it to you that I get every time my mom tells me to watch a movie- it has to end happy, or I wouldn't tell you to read it. Sorry. No. Not a happy ending. Not really. But it doesn't need one. I'm still reeling from the shockwaves of three straight hours of reading it all the way through (I took a six hour nap today, not tired, lol), which is why this is so long- I can't string two coherent thoughts together. And when you get to the notes ch, scroll all the way down, because there's a Touya Akira sidefic on LJ. But please, please, please read this. As soon as you can. Because it's just one of those kinds of stories, and I have this pressing feeling that it's going to affect my life in ways I can't even imagine- I've got butterflies in my stomach and this feeling in my heart, and whether or not it ends up amounting to anything, right now it's there. And it's just an amazing feeling, like Touya's secret mystery in the sidefic. And I know that this sounds incredibly cheesy, and that when I've gotten over this euphoria I'm going to ask myself what I was thinking in actually writing this down, because people think like this, but they don't talk or write this way, but I'm not going to go back and edit this, because it's raw, and it's passion, and I think that I'm going to have to stop censoring everything I think and feel and go with the fact that the words I'm writing now are what I want to say, and so I'm going to say them. You're probably going to laugh at some of the things that affected me most, beacuse that's just how we are with things, like Arty 3- we see them differently. But I know you'll enjoy reading it, and there's a chance you'll see it, too- this undefinable thing- which isn't even the right word- that I've found in this story, that's left me speechless and breathless and wondering who the heck this author is, and how they came up with everything they've written, and if anyone else has been touched by this like I have, and if the author knows it if they have. I've learned from this story. It'll probably turn into one of those things where people realise something new, and know it intellectually, and then just let it slip away, because holding on to the understanding and trying to incorporate it into your life it just too hard- but I'm going to try my best to. Beacuse I've just got to, even if I don't understand exactly what it is that I'm holding on to, because it's just such an amazing feeling, and I don't know what I'll do if I lose it. I'm not saying that the story is perfect. There are some grammar mistakes, and, early on, a couple of lines that I blinked at. But that's not the point, because it's not just the story that I'm getting all this from; it's the essence of the story, the meaning, the thoughts behind it, and I can feel what Osusuki was talking about, when he said that there were some things that you just couldn't grasp or explain, and I feel the epiphany hovering over me, like Hikaru did, when he realised he couldn't explain his relationship with Sai. And I don't quite get what Hikaru (or Sai, for that matter) were talking about, when they said that they knew what their parts of the blessing were- and although I'd really like to know, I don't suppose it really matters in the long run. They found something. they found what they were looking for, right then, in the end, before it was all over. And I suppose I'm giving too much away, and should cut the novel short and just let you go read. And maybe you will read it, and you'll see me whenever we see eachother next after you're done, and it will have been just a story to you, as it probably was to so many others- I can tell that from some of the reviews. A story. Just a story. A lovely, wonderfully written story- but just a story, all the same. But then again, maybe not. Maybe you'll find in it the same thing I have, and we'll be able to share that. But either way- I've felt it. I know it's there, inside the words, between the lines, and that someone, somewhere, had to have felt it too. And that's enough for me. Read. Just read it. And you'll find it or you won't. But either way, you'll have read an amazing story, and I've given somone else the chance to see what I've seen, find what I've found. Which is all Sai really wanted- to spread his love of the game. I want to spread this. So read. Please.

"

O.o
cokeboi chapter 1 . 11/14/2006
whoa.
Maayan chapter 19 . 7/30/2006
Ooh, I loved this - your attempt at writing a ghost story was brilliant, I swear! I don't know if you expected scariness in The Ring scale - I suppose that can only come from seeing - but this was definitely suspenseful, and quite, quite scary. The comic relief was good, because it's such an essential part of HNG, and you really can't keep suspense at an all-time high - you just can't. It'll lose its edge. And understanding this makes your story all the better, in my opinion. I should like to imagine that the mysterious "A-" Sai mentioned is Akira rather than Akari, but that's just me:D I loved that Sai taught the immortals about the meaning of time - it's such a beautifully disturbing revelation, that things have an end. And you had it wonderfully executed, as well. I loved, absolutely loved it. You did wonderful work!

And you know what? Sai wasn't OOC at all - we get glimpses of inner strength on the show(and yes, I am one of those people who only watched it on TV), amidst the whining and the childishness, too. Whiny!Sai may be more fun to write, and funnier to read, but kickass!Sai? He ROCKS! *giggles*
LittleChibib87 chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
I just re-read this story it took me only two hours. Thank you so much for this fic. I'm going to put it up on my website! Please allow me to!
Hitokiri-san chapter 18 . 6/4/2006
I'm glad to inform you that you've managed to distract me completely from my Final Exam, and so I'll put the blame of my failure on you. Really. Your story is so captivating that I just CAN'T concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing.

A lot of research on Japan's traditional demons too. Like you've said, this story is a complete hippo, and I like the "Tyger tyger burning bright" titles Good job, and the change of POV in the last chapter is refreshing as well.
Ysabet chapter 19 . 2/15/2006
Your story was recommended to me a few days ago, and guess what I've spent my time since then doing? Gulped the entire thing down in about three very, very large meals, yup... and I want to thank you. That was without question one of the best stories (and I don't mean just fanfics; good writing is good writing, published or not) that I've ever read. In-character, correct to the genre, and with a whole hell of a lot of heart and soul to it; made me laugh my ass off and cry quite a bit too, especially the epilogue. Every really good piece of writing changes the reader as well as the writer, and I owe you big for this one. Thank you.
LittleChibib87 chapter 18 . 2/9/2006
This is a wonderful story, I loved all of it.

Tip: Watch your spelling hun! Misspelled words in the middle of a good story are very annoying and irritating to the reader.

OMG I stayed up till 2 o'clock in the morning to read this! May I please add it the archive of fanfiction I have on my sites? You'll have a link to your email of course. the sites are circle-eclipse{dot} and
De Luna chapter 1 . 1/22/2006
I am so happy that I finally managed to find some time to review this story! It will probably take some time for me to do it for the whole story. But I'll compensate it by typing a nice full length review for each chapter.

In the beginning, I was searching for Sai and Hikaru fanfiction after reading the first volume. I got really confused what was happening but when I reached your fanfiction, you managed help me straighten my mind out with all this information. It wasn't too much for me to be spoiled but enough for me to get a general image.

Your scenery description was very good here and there is a perfect combination between description and dialogue.

A sudden crackling sound underneath his right foot made him freeze. Ugh-oh, what did I break NOW? He gingerly lifted his sneaker, but to his relief, he found only the dried blossom of a chrysanthemum. It must have been blown off a nearby grave. In the darkness, the stark white petals almost glowed faintly, like a crushed star outspread.

That was an excellent line. I loved it so much. The way your portrayed their relationship was good. Hikaru is brash and rude but he doesn't do it intentionally as you showed. And Sai's personality was very fitting. Heheh. He's like a big puppy. I can't really same much for this chapter. But you get the point of what I'm trying to say here. There is a perfect opening scene imprinted into my mind! :D
iceblitz chapter 19 . 12/10/2005
o.o Ho-ly F# $ THAT WAS GOOD! The whole time when I was trying to think of what I'd say in my review basically all that came up was my opening line. Repeatedly. o.o Just... wow. o.o You and this story are going on my Fav's list.
DolphinMoon11 chapter 3 . 5/25/2005
omg! this is awsome!
WhereIsMyBacon chapter 18 . 5/24/2005
Omigosh O.o I haven't written to you in such a lo -inhales- ong time. Muri-san you probably don't even remember who I am anymore.

I still have yet to finish this fic! But I will be positive that it's going to get better and better from now on. May you rock all the way in the year 2005! (It's nearly june already, what the hell am I talking about ;)
kari2500 chapter 18 . 5/5/2005
this is literally the best fanfic i ever read.

i really do love reading, and i kinda wish the story was longer. *waits for the shocked gasps*

yeah!, i want it longer.

well anyway, i been reading this story for three days now, unable to turn away eccept for school.

your story had such a deep meaning that i actually read on looking for answers to my unanswered questions.

i thought this story was perfect, i never thought anyone was OOC. and i thought in my head, that thats exactly the way sai would act if he was serious, in fact i thought you did a eccellent job on Sai. and that from me is not an easy comment since Sai is my favorite character and i think harshy sometime of how people portray him.

but i seriously think this story was litterally the best fanfic ever. your very skilled in your writing, i loved the was you described the small details. it made me feel as if i was in the story.

and everything made sense as if it was really part of the main plot in Hikaru no Go, i actually think they should include it.

i truly loved this story, it's the best fanfic i ever read. and a voive inside of me is desperatly screaming out to tell you to make a sequel.

one where hikaru tells akira everything that happened, and/or remmebers the game he played with the devil and/or meets Sai again(you might want to mix Sai coming back with telling akira, it would make the story alot more interesting.)

im getting ahead of myself, sure i would love if you wrote a sequel, even though it had a really nice ending. mostly for my selfish need to read.

but your story truly touched me, it was a heartfelt experience. (sorry i somethines ramble on and on about how truly grateful i am after reading a story i thought very highly of.)

just so you know, i think of you and the story very highly, in a catagory of fanfics, that only the great reside in.

like i said, i truly love you story,

words may not be able to truly express what i feel towards this story but at least i tried.

i LOVE you story.