Reviews for The Trial of Frodo Baggins
GamgeeFest chapter 12 . 9/8/2003
Wow! I'm speechless. That was so wonderful and amazing. Aragorn nailed that verdict! I have to admit, I never thought of it like that, that Frodo's pride was making him feel so guilty, but it does make sense. Too many wonderful lines to quote, but I esp. liked the part about Sam:

Sam had had an air of watchfulness that had promised a change towards wrath if a different verdict had been given, but now he relaxed.

Too precious. Sam is always so watchful of Frodo. And all of Aragorn's verdict was just beautiful. And the conversation with Merry - wonderful!

So, who is he going to tell? Is it going to be the little boy?
Neithel too lazy to sign in chapter 12 . 9/8/2003
I love this chapter. Stern! Aragorn. But then, he was right. I like that Frodo has to work in the Houses of Healing. And where is the kid? He's going to be the one Frodo will tell his quest to, right?

More, soon, please?
Neithel too lazy to sign in chapter 12 . 9/8/2003

More, soon, please?
endymion2 chapter 12 . 9/8/2003
This was a masterpiece! Aragorn could, of course, only judge „not guilty“ for Frodo’s „crime“, but to sentence him for his pride! I really don’t think that much of us (readers) expected this. „ I lay upon you the burden of expectation.“ Wow, sorry, i find no words (it*s VERY late over here) but you are absolutely right, of course; „I also expect you to recognize that you are indeed fallible“ – this IS quite difficult for some of us to accept.

Do I judge correctly when I presume that the person to whom the „full story“ will be told will be Fellen?

"It isn't about what's good for me, Merry! It is what must be done." I do hope that Frodo will do „what must be done“ although he might feel (wrongly) that it’s not good (for him).
boromir chapter 12 . 9/8/2003
Good... Now who will Frodo talk to and will they forgive him. What happens with Aragorn?
Shire Baggins chapter 12 . 9/8/2003
You are writing a wonderful story! Frodo's pride is making him feel guilty for not being the one to destroy the Ring. Hopefully Frodo is on the way to some measure of self forgiveness. I am intrigued by the thought of Frodo and Merry talking about their experiences with the Witch King. I hope you will be able to include this in a future chapter. Can't wait to see who Frodo will tell his experiences to, though I have a couple of ideas.

Please update soon!
shireling chapter 12 . 9/7/2003
You are not supposed to make me weep at 7.30 in the morning when I have to go to work!

Beautiful, compassionate,full of love and understanding.

I'm so glad you've not done yet. I will be so sad when this story is finished.

Many thanks

Helen/shireling
Ailsa89 chapter 12 . 9/7/2003
Forgive me for my lack of better words but: that was coolest judgement ever! I admit that it had not come to my mind that pride was the reason for Frodo's unhappiness but you made it make sense. Yay for sense!

Frodo's conversation with Merry was great too. Your description of him "recognising Frodo's features" but as if they were hidden by a veil was beautiful.

It's going to be fun to hear the hobbits' reaction to all of this. Especially Sam- for Aragorn calling his master arrogant, hehe. Brilliant chapter!

A.J x
Mysterious Jedi chapter 12 . 9/7/2003
Nice, please continue.
shirebound chapter 12 . 9/7/2003
Wow! I tried very, very hard to not to think ahead with this story, and not to try to figure out what the King's judgment would be. So I read this chapter in total anticipation, and it's wonderful! It's so fulfilling, and pefectly worded, and yet there's still a measure of suspense and mystery. I'm just in awe.

This is particularly amazing (although I would have enjoyed knowing Frodo's - or any of the hobbits' - thoughts after it was pronounced). But no matter...

"I do not mete out punishment only to satisfy your longing for it. Instead I lay upon you the burden of expectation. I expect you to accept your failure to destroy the Ring yourself and I also expect you to recognize that you are indeed fallible: that to cast blame upon yourself for imperfection is an act both of pride and of arrogance. You did far more than anyone else could have done, although it may be difficult for you to see it. Finally, I expect you to humbly accept the gratitude of those you helped save."
first-rain chapter 11 . 9/7/2003
I was so glad that I read this fic. All of the characters were exactly as how Tolkien portrayed them. And the fic was so touching and wonderfully written. Your vocabulary was also of Middle Earth's. I'm speechless. I'm longing to see more of it. Please, very please, continue soon. I can't wait.

We loves it, precious. Yes, we wants it...
boromir chapter 11 . 9/3/2003
Aragorn isn't mad at Frodo is he? I hope Frodo and Aragorn will still be friends. Please let them stay friends I would hate for them to lose the friendship they have between them! Looks like it might happen though... :0
lotrmatrixstarwarsfan chapter 11 . 9/3/2003
Dear Gentle Hobbit,

Firstly, I’d like to apologise for being so awfully stingy with my reviews. I really should have reviewed each and every one of your chapters. The amount of dedication and thought you have put into this story really shows throughout the story. The way that you write out of a love of Master Tolkien’s work and the desire to share a facet of it that belongs to you is truly marvelous.

I am so overawed by your wonderful story. The number of reviews you have simply do you no justice at all. The way you write the story, it is as if it is all a part of Tolkien’s canon. It is as a part of the story that Tolkien never elaborated, a missing part of the story in between. You complete the emotion and feeling in his tale.

Since reading the book last year, I always wondered what Frodo felt in the aftermath of the destruction of the Ring, when he thought back at what I suppose he would consider his failing for being unable to give the ring up. And when I found this tale, once I managed to get down to reading it, I was very much touched by your tale. I feel it has brought a lot of new perspective and insight into my understanding of Frodo.

I adore your Frodo, who is exactly the way I thought he would be in my mind and I am not even a Frodo fan (Legolas forever). I think the way you show Frodo in his guilt and his despair has truly brought out Frodo the way Tolkien intended. The way his condemnation of his self blocks out the sacrifices he has made is thoroughly realistic and heart-rending. Also, I adore the way in which you had him learning that it was not his fault through parallels between him and the captain, as well as in Aragorn’s wise words. I love your Aragorn by the way, he seems to know what to do and say, just the way I imagined it. At the same time, though, Frodo puts others above self, appalled when he realized that Merry might need help after his encounter with the Nazgul and that he had neglected to think of it, all this despite his own misery.

In portraying the characters, you are obviously very much in your element, bringing out the essence of each characters: Aragorn the man and king, gentle, caring, sure and yet unsure of himself ; Merry and Pippin, concerned cousins, Sam, a close friend, mindful of Frodo’s feelings and needs, but needing to learn where to stop. I also appreciate the way you have allowed Fellen and Eowyn to edge into Frodo’s life as a balm unto his wounded soul, edging past the barriers and shields he had erected to keep his close friends away from him. It is both interesting and touching to see Eowyn fulfil the role of a kindred spirit who empathises and understands to some measure. I had never thought of it this way. Fellen, with his concern and yet innocence is another blazing hope for Frodo and you have put him to splendid effect, to allow a deeper exploration of Frodo’s feelings.

Finally, I love the way you switch between warm fuzzy ‘hobbitly’ love, gentle humour and Frodo-angst. The ease with which you transit between different styles is admirable to the utmost. You have my highest esteem for accomplishing a task which is not simple at all with precision and sensitivity. I salute your efforts and look forward to more delightful updates.
Ailsa89 chapter 11 . 9/2/2003
Oh, I don't know, I think Legolas might be a good flashy agent...

That was such a powerful chapter. Frodo's admission drew me literally out of my seat. It was so strong- it kept me reading and reading. Don't know why this passage:

The King regarded Frodo then and did not say a word. Although the Ring-bearer flushed beneath the gaze, he did not look away. Long did they hold each other in their regard, but if either could read the other's thoughts, they did not show it. The King's face was impassive, but the Ring-bearer's was not. Whatever his thoughts may have been, his emotions were manifest in the very set of his mouth, and the angle of his brows.::

gripped me most, as there were so many great lines and various paragraphs, but it really left an impression on me and I went back severally to read it again. OOh, I can't wait to see how you will write Aragorn's final reaction and impending judgement. Fantastic.

A.J x
Goldenberry chapter 11 . 9/2/2003
It's wonderful to see a new chapter! I have been following this story from the beginning and I think it is believable and true to all the characters-Frodo especially. I know reviewers are supposed to critique, but I find nothing to fault about the writing or the character motivations and behavior. This is a great "fill-in-the-blanks" chapter in LOTR. I'll be sorry when the tale is complete, yet I'm really looking forward to the resolution!
225 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »