Reviews for Prelude to a Nightmare
skenshingumi chapter 11 . 9/14/2013
What a chapter, a lot of power and emotion packed in here! It was very suitable to have Sano be the one reflecting on Kenshin's story as of all of them, he knows the drive for vengeance best, an interesting twisted parallel on Kenshin turning Sano from his bent for revenge. I found you description of Kenshin's seething rage very potent: you clearly show this teenager on the very edge of exploding. All that tension, planning, murdering, guilt now being completely overcome by events. I don't know how I missed this chapter when it first got posted, but I do hope you continue. Everyone does have things to hide, although not so violent as Kenshin's past, yet most would not so clearly reveal the truth of it. I like how you really show how he is laying it out for them, any thoughts of heroism or glamour totally put aside.
sulou chapter 11 . 9/18/2012
I hope you are planning to continue this story. I'm impressed with your storytelling in such a way that I've fallen in love with Rurouni Kenshin all over again.
Kristy-chan chapter 11 . 5/7/2011
Your story is amazingly written! The way you portray Kenshin is spot on and I loved the way in which you reveal the feelings of his friends at the end of every chapter. Please update soon if you can. I look forward to reading more works from you, especially in this story. :)
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 11 . 4/28/2010
"We just existed, together."

Interesting parallel. There's a subtle sense that compared to Tomoe's silent companionship, Hiko's was the more emotionally sterile, and that Kenshin was more comfortable with Tomoe.

As always the prose is gripping, with a very insightful description of Kenshin's state of mind.

Sano's not kidding about the price Kenshin paid being too high either. Looking forward to the next chapter!
gaap237 chapter 11 . 4/20/2010
wow. Kenshin's rage was palpable. You did a great job in expressing that. Congrats
Jasmine blossom625 chapter 5 . 4/20/2010
I do love how you've given the story a deeper perspective. The manga did a decent job at the basics, but you really fleshed it out. Thanks for your attention to detail!
indusina chapter 11 . 4/20/2010
Thank you for updating! I'll wait for the next chapter so please update again as soon as you can. :)

/Indusina
J Luc Pitard chapter 11 . 4/20/2010
In your hands Kenshin is so adorably human! That's what I loved about the manga as well. While his feats were so incredible (yeah, fiction, gotta love it) Watsuki always tempered him with the personal faults and issues. I love how you point out his washing obsession and refer to his history with his teacher, blending them naturally into his narrative. Well written.
Althea M chapter 10 . 3/16/2010
I rarely find Kenshin POV stories and I enjoy Bakumatsu-era stories. This is, do far, the best of both worlds. Kenshin was a seriously wounded soul and Tomoe was out for revenge. And then, things changed. I've seen the story and read a rendition of the story. I look forward to each painful step through his tortured memories by your hand.

AM
skenshingumi chapter 10 . 3/15/2010
I must admit, the POV shift did throw me at first but I do get it and can even see why you did it. I'd have to think about how to make it less abrupt but I have no ready answer.

I am glad that you kept this incident as one separate chapter. I agree this is a turning point for Kenshin and it deserves its own space. I like how you show this for both the past and present as you make it clear that his uncovering himself to show what he can be capable of to his friends is itself its own turning point, proven as Kaoru questions her assumptions. Your chapter title is very apt for her thoughts at this point, although I see more faith than doubt as she wonders, “This Tomoe… what had she done, to force Kenshin's hand?” I also like how you showed how well she reads him as she picks up from Kenshin's body language "the echo of a broken promise".
The Wandering Pen chapter 10 . 3/14/2010
The POV switch at the beginning threw me at first; then I figured out what you were doing. In the first paragraph, Kenshin references another self: "cede my body to that other". Perhaps, then, when you do the POV switch, you could reference "this other me", just so isn't so jolting. It also keeps it in Kenshin's voice, so it's not really a POV switch and that's the point: he is not two different people. He's one man expaining how sometimes he did things that weren't what he truly believed in because circumstances dictated that they must be done and he saw no way out.

Also, Tomoe would not be wearing her sandals on the tatami - they are for outdoor use only. Inside, she would be wearing tabi (likely) or possibly barefoot.

I love Kaoru's reaction - she notices those subtle bits of body language and is learning to read him correctly. Nice.

Good job. :)
indusina chapter 10 . 3/13/2010
Thank you for this wonderful fanfic!

You are a wery talented writer! I think the fact that you sometimes write in first person and sometimes not is a really good thing. It gives the story, how can I explain I this in english, perhaps boundaries is the right word. It makes the jump between now and then wery clear and gives more life too Kenshins story in a wonderful, but very sad way.

Please update as soon as you can!

/Indusina
KatieB19 chapter 10 . 3/9/2010
who its been awile glade to know u r still alive. lol! as always chap was grate im kinda nervise about what kaoru is going to think )
sulou chapter 10 . 3/8/2010
Happy to see an update. I like the style you are using to tell Kenshin's past story.
Syolen chapter 10 . 3/8/2010
Yet another (very) good chapter! The change of tenses and POV at the beginning worked really well. I'll be looking forward to reading more!