Reviews for The Price of Flight
BenRG chapter 19 . 8/10/2020
Okay, I think that the clock is definitely ticking. That rug overflight was just really, really sloppy and was basically inviting a wizard or witch on the Watch payroll to fireball it out of the sky when it entered the exclusion zone. Was that the objective, I wonder? To give the Empire cause to take overt action over the destruction of a 'diplomatic vehicle'? The worrying implication of that possibility is that the Klatchians may feel the need to send a 'volunteer' to provide the provocation, even if it requires crashing a rug loaded with some alchemical hellbrew into the Air Station control room.

For the Empire and the Gods, of course.

Teaching kids that war is hell is difficult but it is very necessary. Something that the young future Grand Duke needs to learn before he gets the power to actually make it happen.
Fire Tempest chapter 19 . 8/9/2020
Another fabulous story - loving this and looking forward to its continuation. Thank you.
rga156 chapter 19 . 8/8/2020
Love the way you are pulling all the strands together. If it were possible to buy your stories I would happily do so. I also think they would make great graphic novels.

Typo: Olga s/be Irena in the landing sequence at Miriam's fort.
Kati chapter 17 . 8/2/2020
Hello, thought Id correct the spelling of is a term sometimes used of a russian woman, a russian person of either sex is ryssä and we have a figure of speech ”ryssä on ryssä vaikka voissa paistais”, a russian is a russian even when fried in butter, meaning that russians won’t ever change. My kids insisted I’d teach you the term hevonkuusi, horse’s spruce meaning a place in the middle of nowhere. Sorry about my probably clumsy english, I don’t write often in other languages. Thank you for the great story and greetings from Espoo (right next to Helsinki)
Seiya234 chapter 16 . 7/27/2020
Very very VERY longtime reader (10 years!). Just wanted to say thank you so very much for years of enjoyment. I reread all of your Johanna fic this past year nursing my newborn, and you’re the only reason I’m still checking in on . I was worried when you weren’t postinf for awhile and I’m so relieved to see you have recovered from covid!
Brithund chapter 16 . 7/25/2020
Another excellent chapter! I'm really enjoying these. Glad o see you seem to be on a roll again!
Guest chapter 15 . 7/24/2020
Great story, hope to read more of it soon.
BenRG chapter 16 . 7/26/2020
Putting jamming gear IN THE EMBASSY. Wow. Some people are literally too stupid to live. I mean, the SIGINT stuff is to be expected. Maybe even mandatory. Vetinari EXPECTS all the foreign embassies in the city to be attempting to intercept Clacks, pigeons and even interception Omnicon can be ignored. However actively jamming military and civil comms from transmitters in the embassy is a breach of treaty as well as a continual ongoing attack on the city's security.

The only question now is whether the Patrician wants the jammers taken out quiet-like by an air-insert commando raid or if he wants to send a whole company of militia to go storming in there to overtly disable them and, whilst they're there, 'secure' the crypto gear and classified files 'for safe-keeping' before sending the Ambassador on his way with a big red NPG stamp on his passport. The latter would be a huge escalation but possibly would leave the Katchians out of position and having to try to restructure their strategy around a blown subversion operations and the very real possibility that the Assassins already have all the embassy clerks singing like thrushes about all the naughty things that they've done for Sultan and Empire.

FWIW, I'm expecting Vetinari to choose the latter. I also think that he'll try to disturb the hornets by implying strongly the he knows more than he might actually do so and see if he can panic the Empire into a mistimed overt move.
rga156 chapter 11 . 7/24/2020
I've just reread this and you've excelled. Made my eyes tear up! The addition of Ampie is a very good touch too.
BenRG chapter 15 . 7/24/2020
Trying to convince kids that being in the middle of combat is not 'cool' is an impossible thing.

So... Use a Mushroom strategy? Transmit obvious misinformation on open channels for a while and then switch to basic encryption, using CB-like 'radio slang' that may be difficult to interpret because there is no obvious contextual relationship between the code phrases and their meaning.

Ultimately, Vetinari knows that he's on a timer. There is only so long before someone fires a shot in public in a way that can't be explained away and you've gone all the way to a hot war. That's assuming some hot-headed middle-ranking officer on one side or the other doesn't convince themselves that their patriotic duty or their short-cut to the to isn't doing something violent and public without prior authorisation.

I still say that capturing that COMINT/ECM carpet in city airspace is the first step. It may also be necessary (if distressing, to animal lovers) to deploy some kind of countermeasure against the Klatchian Syrrit sheep flocks. Either drop magically-enhanced wolves or have drone carpets dust the flocks with some kind of bioagent. Anthrax is highly effective against livestock and doesn't travel well far from the deployment site so there shouldn't be too much collateral damage. It's also naturally-occurring in ovines so it will be difficult to plausibly identify as enemy action.
BenRG chapter 14 . 7/24/2020
That could have turned very ugly very quickly; the Joint Chiefs were clearly spoiling for a fight and a 'punitive raid' or two. Vetinari did a good job to keep control. I also think that the University's tax allowance will go up noticeably this year with a note from the Patrician's office that he would be dissapointed if the extra cash didn't go to the AI research labs (HEX in other words).

However, there is no doubt that the Katchians have an ECM system able to kill Omnicrons and used it as part of a deliberate attempt to kill or capture Ankh-Morporkian state agents. That's casus belli for you right there.

At the very least, that jamming carpet needs to be dealt with. Ideally, it should be forced down at the air station and its crew 'interviewed' over some trifling breach of the Magical Communications Regulation Act (which, curiously, was enacted whilst they were actually in the air) whilst the Wizards tear apart the jamming system to see how to non-violently and remotely disable it. The Klatchians can whine all they want; the crew were breaking local laws!
Freyalyn chapter 15 . 7/23/2020
More politicking, which you are so good at writing.
Guest chapter 14 . 7/19/2020
I found a few small grammatical errors in this chapter. So just to save time, here are my suggested corrections (they are all in the last part of the chapter):
"Ekki" should be "Bekki"
""Contact!" he yelled" should be ""Contact!" she yelled"
"Sujnray" should be "Sunray"
"we able" should be "were able"
"and sad" should be "and said"

Final remark: Your fanfiction is one of my favorite internet-destinations. If you ever decide to make your discworld fanfiction into a series of books, I would buy them.
Freyalyn chapter 14 . 7/19/2020
Hurray!
Guest chapter 12 . 7/16/2020
Brilliant as ever! I have SO missed this series!
70 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »