Reviews for The Price of Flight
BenRG chapter 13 . 7/18/2020
Sometimes, wars can start for no other reason that no suitably reliable means of informing the capital that it has already been averted.
BenRG chapter 12 . 7/17/2020
One thing that Vetinari may have missed: Some people are so stupid and greedy that they are not daunted by any reasonable downside to their actions.

However, I might be underestimating his plan. Bismarck, after all, was always smart enough to dress up his wars as plausibily self-defence AND a sure win. An 'unfortunate misunderstanding' that is swiftly resolved with minimal (although actual and regrettable) bloodshed that leaves Klatch publicly humiliated and chastened and forced to draw in its claws is a useful outcome. Especially when, in private, they had exposed their REAL plans by an over-hasty response to a CIVILIAN overflight.

That doesn't mean that Vimes won't be outraged about his officers being used in this way but I think that he will have no answer to Vetinari's claim of 'better two at risk now than thousands later'.
Freyalyn chapter 12 . 7/17/2020
Sorry to hear you've had the 'virus - hope you're recovering well. Thank you for more stories.
bissek chapter 10 . 7/16/2020
Actually, the first thing that comes to my mind with a witch named Kiiki is the Miyazaki film Kiki's Delivery Service, a coming of age story about a young witch who leaves home on her journeyman (or woman) travels, settles in a city, and ends up getting a job as a postal courier, as her broomstick allows her to fly over traffic.

Given narrative causality in the Discworld, does that mean Kiiki has ended up on diplomatic courier runs fairly often?
Moriko no Hikari chapter 11 . 1/16/2020
As someone with actual Tourette's, I object! You're thinking of Coprolalia, "the involuntary and repetitive use of obscene language, as a symptom of mental illness or organic brain disease."
DrFrankenburger chapter 7 . 11/28/2019
A cracking tale. If I remember my A - Level chemistry properly, negatively charged ions do exist, and you can call them cations interchangeably with the former term. See 'cathode' an electronegative (source of electrons) terminal in an electrical circuit. For completeness, positive ions (anions) exist too. In Roundworld salt water you'll find equal numbers of free floating chlorine cations and sodium anions, released as the salt dissolved. If you are going to some extent with a 'Battle of Britain' riff, I dare you to do something with the name of the technical innovation introduced by RAE engineer Beatrice Shilling.
-DrFrankenburger-
bissek chapter 8 . 11/30/2019
Did Vetinari negotiate a special rate for government clacks with the Grand Trunk the way he did with the Post Office? Because the Grand Trunk charges by the word, and those are fairly large messages.
mathust.quill1 chapter 7 . 11/29/2019
Up until now they were just being jerks...killing and burning, playing their , now that they have attacked a clacks tower, Vetrinari can "lend aid" for the need to "secure the infrastructure if the great plan". Might even lend golem troops to protect the clacks in the area.
mathust.quill1 chapter 6 . 11/29/2019
...should send someone to our Shaun's forge, gather up all the slag, clinkers and iron filings, put in small burlap sacks the Fegals can carry, and have them crop dust the flying fey with IRON...I bet that would ground a yarrow right quick. This is a huge advantage they are overlooking. Iron is THE BANE to the fay. It hurts them, disrupts their magic...and does NEITHER to humans or witch magic. Tactics...
mathust.quill1 chapter 4 . 11/29/2019
I have missed your writing...spending to long on a monofiction site. (Twisting the hellmouth- buffy fanfiction) just returned to find that you had new stuff.
The first air battle death becoming a Valkeri is amazing, when she pulled the "I'm driving" trope I cackled like Nanny Ogg at a coven meeting. Your writing is amazing.
mathust.quill1 chapter 3 . 11/29/2019
Now that you have crossed Diskworld and Red Dwarf...oh the posibilities! Briton meets Golms...and teaches them to lie, call people smog-head and mane their own decisions. Cat meeting the assassins in a coffee bar (milk, with an espresso chaser) and debating fashipn, before he goes for a night on the town with Knobby's brother, ending with the obligatory traffic cone and police woman's helmet. Kochanskey could spend a very educational evening with the lady teachers of the assassin school... the whole thing tickles me to bits.
mathust.quill1 chapter 2 . 11/29/2019
The B-52 bomber is relegated to the name B.U.F.F. (Big Ugly Fat F#Er) and I can think of no better disk world crossover nomenic...provided you can come up with a clean acronym for what it means. At least the name for the mahoute gunship.
rga156 chapter 6 . 11/27/2019
I am enjoying this storyline but am confused about the ranks given to Olga and Irena. In Chapter 1 they are Captain and Lieutenant but in later chanpters they are Lieutenant and Sergeant?
Freyalyn chapter 6 . 11/26/2019
Utterly loving this - and you're really flying with it now.

(You've got a fragrant instead of a flagrant up there somewhere - but that's the only speed-spelling I spotted.)
Brithund chapter 5 . 11/24/2019
Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm loving this. Even the Patrician gets Churchilian. Hopefully the Battle of Lancre won't be lost and become the Battle of Ankh-Morpork.

Ps beware if the Elves bring a non-ferrous Bell onto the battlefield. Highly obscure reference, and it's not an Acerian broomstick that breaks the local speed of sound ...
70 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »