Reviews for Pokemon Gamer
Farla chapter 1 . 1/28/2019
You wouldn’t capitalize animal or mouse or dragon, so you shouldn’t capitalize words like pokemon or pikachu or charizard. The only time you should capitalize it is if you’re using it as the pokemon’s name, ie, Ash’s pikachu is called Pikachu. This is because you only capitalize when it’s a proper noun, which are the names of individual people, places, or things. Similar reasoning should be applied to any other words you’re thinking of capitalizing, like trainer or professor or gym.

[For getting a full night's rest in your bed your HP and PP have been fully restored.]

So, I think there's an important distinction to be made here. Your opening says the idea is he can now perceive the existing world through the kind of informative popups of a videogame, but getting physically healed up to full by sleeping for one night isn't how the world works. It seems like what's going on is that videogame protagonist rules/benefits as a whole have suddenly started applying to him and only him and that, as a side-note, he can also see pop-up text to explain that to him.

[Adrian had become a bit of a pothead, blame Professor Oak. She told him it helped relieve stress and for Adrian who was a bundle of nerves that looked around every corner for a pokémon that might attack him, stress relief was something he needed, badly. Once he turned eighteen Daisy pulled a few strings and got a doctor friend of hers to get him a medical prescription. His parents didn't mind too much, after all, Adrian's life was the worst case scenario for anyone in their world and neither could imagine living it themselves. ]

If it's important to you that he be using oddish-marijuana in particular, then say he's self-medicating either illegally or that it just isn't banned at all. The big discussion about legalizing marijuana is for its painkiller and appetite benefits. The anxiety effects are unreliable, sometimes outright backfire, and there are lots of better and safer drugs to accomplish it, so if there's a doctor taking that seriously, he'd be prescribed something better.

[What Adrian doesn't know is that he is "hated" by pokémon because he is of their ilk. He is the only human in all of history with the ability to level up and evolve in ways only pokémon can.
Adrian choked on his words as he attempted to say something. He couldn't. So he decided to distribute his stats.]

While that's a game mechanic, it's not one ever found in these games. If he's functioning like a pokemon he should have a set stat layout and some ability to impact that by focused training. The games even give a way to erase accidental stat changes and try again, and him having to eat a bunch of berries and then train all over again is more interesting than just saying the numbers change because he wants them to.

["Twelve at such a low level? Arceus above… you would only see that kind of growth from a legendary pokémon. Pokémon who can no longer evolve come close, but even then twelve is above average. You would need to have somehow trained a pokémon with perfect EVs to get those sort of gains which is impossible given you actually have to fight to earn EVs so they would be a high level already. This is quite curious, quite curious indeed. Come to the backyard, Adrian. I want you to battle some pokémon."]

...So in addition to all the other protagonist perks, and being able to decide what his stat layout is, he also just has more numbers in general than anyone else at his level. And then you're setting him against pokemon that are lower level than he is as if there's any point to writing that out.

If you want crazy OP characters and giving them interesting OP challenges to match is for some reason off the table, you could at least give him regular challenges instead of saying he's higher level with legendary stats so watch him kick a baby starter unconscious.
Kaesarthe42nd chapter 1 . 1/27/2019
Definately an interesting idea. Curious where your going to take it!
Sancus the inquisitive chapter 1 . 1/23/2019
this is interesting.
fictionelement777 chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Pleas continue this. It has potential to grow.
BBWulf chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Interesting start. I quite like it. I do hope he gets over his childhood crush though. The pining will get annoying fast. Especially so if she goes through new guys often.
Necrogod chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Thanks for the chapter!

Just dont forget about your stories im sfill waiting for Goku the gamer :v
LucasBlackCrown chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Ashborn2271 chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Hoped it would be canon and he would be a rival of ash like Paul give him some darkness man,
coduss chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Ok, not gonna lie, pokemone was kinda "animal abusey" before with the whole legalized dogfights thing, but this takes it up a notch

that aside, i'm down for this continuing and seeing where it goes. i'm interested in the whole "evolution" thing. like, will he become a super soldier or something when he evolves? something else? maybe even THE GOD EMPEROR OF MAN?! kidding, kidding i know that's not gonna happen. but i am interested in how a person can evolve pokemon style, and what the result will be
AscendedHumanity chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
I say invest more into special attacks, I personally love psychic and ghost attacks. Plus psychic attack in reality can probably manipulate other attacks to make them miss or redirect them back
VoidGivenForm chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
I like this. I like this a lot. If done properly, (though I don't know HOW to do it properly) then this could be a story I'd like to read. However, I reserve all final judgement and ideas until I can read the other version.
corrinlone77 chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Good chapter.

Cheers
Corrin
Sword'sfunPen'sbetter8P chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Not bad. Just enough gamer added but not saturated with rpg text. There is one other story I remember that had a trainer able to level up and gain moves. I'd have to look but I know I haven't seen it in a couple years. You might try and find it and see how they wrote their stats. Keep up the good work.
Reptil chapter 1 . 1/22/2019
Interesting, a little brutal but interesting. Keep it up
Vultinar chapter 1 . 1/21/2019
This has potential to be amazing but also potential to crash and burn
High risk high reward...i still enjoy it lol
34 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »