Reviews for The Wild Card of Hogwarts
Robby the Cyber Warrior chapter 3 . 1/3/2020
Ok, this is already shaping up to be fantastic, and I can't tell you how excited that makes me. Most of the great Persona crossovers have been left untouched for years or updated very sporadically, so seeing something recently created and recently updated that has this strong a start gives me hope in this crossover section I've been lacking.
Pokelolmc chapter 5 . 12/2/2019
Oh man, I really do hope I don’t come off sounding pretentious or anything, but...as someone who’s been studying Japanese (I’m intermediate, though admittedly a little rusty), I noticed the Japanese at the end of the chapter was a quite clunky and could think of a less unnatural way of saying it. I noticed how you said in the author’s note you’d be happy for alternatives, so I decided to suggest an alternative for the second line of dialogue. I haven’t got one for the first because there is a lot of vocabulary there that is confusing with the way it’s been written, (and the idiom of “calling out” as in “rebuking” doesn’t work the same way in Japanese), so I haven’t wrapped my head around it yet, but the second one isn’t hard:

Original: ”Hendesu. Ore wa anata ga umaku rikai dekimasu. Ore wa nani mo kawatte kikoenai. Ore ga hanashite nani no gengo o shitteiru ka."

(Translation) [That's weird. I can understand you just fine. I don't sound any different to me. Do you know what language I'm speaking in?]

(Warning: sorry if my words are clunky, I’m used to writing Japanese in the original hiragana/katakana/kanji script, where they don’t really have spaces, and figuring out where to put spaces in the romanisation is a bit weird, so the way the letters are grouped into words might be a bit different from how your translator has done it.)

Suggestion: “E? Hen desuna? Kimi no kotoba yoku wakarimasukedo... Watashi ga itteiru koto mo zenzen chigawanai yō desu. Ima hanashiteiru gengo wa nani ka shitteiru deshou?”

(Translation) [Eh? That’s weird. I can understand you fine, though. Do you know what language I’m speaking?]

If you’re wondering (or suspicious of) why so many of the words have been changed in the suggested sentences, hear me out (I’m not crazy...I swear), that’s because the original had a lot of unusual vocabulary. For example, the “rikai” in the first sentence is more of a “fancy” or sophisticated-sounding word meaning “understand”. If you’re talking about a casual everyday instance of understanding someone, you use the verb “wakarimasu” (which also means “understand”). “Rikai” is an example of the translation technology being really literal in its translations – say that in real life in that everyday context, and you’d probably sound like a robot lmao. The first sentence in the suggestion actually literally translates to “I understand your words well/good”. (Which is one of the ways to say that you understand someone, or what someone is saying, in Japanese.) The second sentence is completely different because while the original isn’t wrong technically (“Ore wa nanimo kawatte kikeonai” literally means “I can’t hear anything that has changed”, which is close to the intended meaning of not hearing his own speech change in any way), it is very literal (again) and the nuance is very weird to say. It is saying “I can’t hear anything changed” instead of “It doesn’t sound like it’s changed/different”. The changed version (“Watashi ga itteiru koto mo zenzen chigawanai yō desu.”) means “What I’m saying doesn’t sound any different, either” (it literally translates to “The things I’m saying don’t seem different at all, either”). The last sentence changed the least, it just literally means “Do you know what the language I’m speaking is?” Though, I’m still shaky on that (more in terms of how it fits the context of the conversation than the actual validity of the translation)...but I guess it works.

Sorry if this was long, if I was sticking my nose where it didn’t belong, or if anyone else has already made suggestions for the Japanese so I’m late to the party (I don’t know, since I haven’t read through the reviews page yet). It’ll probably just make me look like a fool. However, if it was fine and you really wanted me to look at the first piece of dialogue about Makoto (since the third line, “See you!”, doesn’t need to be changed) I suppose you could just PM me, I guess? Continuing it in another review is lengthy and probably not appropriate or necessary. I still think I might be able to do something about the first line if I took another look at it (honestly, I think a large issue with it, besides the unfamiliar vocabulary – a job which is easily fixed with a dictionary – is the awkward way it’s been translated and the fact that it’s been weirdly romanised, and I’m so used to reading Japanese in its native script instead of Roman letters that it throws me off understanding it).

Either way, loving the story so far! Keep it up! I had no idea how much I needed to see a Persona protagonist – Personas included – at Hogwarts until now. Using the Room of Requirement to create an homage to the Velvet Room is pure genius!
kombatant88 chapter 7 . 11/5/2019
hope you continue this story
Trashlord chapter 7 . 10/22/2019
This is a great story! When are you gonna update next? And do you plan on finishing it? Please finish it!
Pecan Crisp chapter 7 . 8/27/2019
Okay, but who is their animal party member going to be?

No, seriously. It's Persona, Hermione needs a persona-wielding animal on her team. Koromaru, Teddie, Morgana-its tradition now (said animal could even double as her familiar).
Basket in a Nutcase chapter 6 . 6/22/2019
o shit I'm the same age as Akira
Basket in a Nutcase chapter 5 . 6/22/2019
nani the phuck
Basket in a Nutcase chapter 4 . 6/22/2019
oH SHIT
Basket in a Nutcase chapter 3 . 6/22/2019
YES! CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR MALFOY! WOOOOOOOOO!
Basket in a Nutcase chapter 2 . 6/22/2019
THANK! YOU! FOR! NOT! MAKING! HARRY! THE! WILD! CARD!
Basket in a Nutcase chapter 1 . 6/22/2019
"Igor hummed. "Even for one such as learned as you, old friend, you will never see it coming.""
*kicks open van door* YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIING~
Suzululu4moe chapter 6 . 5/17/2019
Too bad Severus isn’t a troll. If I were him I’d like wink back at the crowd to hint that I was the one taking Ren to the closet. It would be hilarious power play move . Griffindore would probably despair that Snape got to him first .

I wonder why he’s never looked at the local newspapers or magazines lying around in the teachers lounge or at en don’t table out of boredom.

Hmm do wizards use the same Christian dating system despite all those witch hunts n inquisitions? It would be like Jews willingly following Nazi era German traditions after the Holocaust.

Or do the magicals have their own dating system Ie After the founder so AF or after Merlin AM .
TheAngelandtheDevil97 chapter 6 . 5/17/2019
Nice job on this chapter! I think you made an interesting, not bad at all but unexpected, choice with the lust potion but it fits in nicely within the story. Can't wait to see what'll happen next! :)
Guest chapter 5 . 5/10/2019
Out of curiosity, did Hermione not get a Persona costume? From what it seemed like, her clothes stayed the same.
Suzululu4moe chapter 5 . 5/11/2019
I wonder if hermione will need to learn that language spell in case Dumbles isn’t available.

The guy definitely needs to teach her how to prepare for missions since she went with Harry without any sort of supples outside of their wands . Imagine had teh been trapped for hours or days instead . Food water medical etc .

Well if she want Christian to begin with now even more reasons not to be since her inner self was killed by Christian monks . Maybe now she will be more at ease with Sataneal.
54 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »