Reviews for Medea
S0phea chapter 2 . 2/20/2019
That octopus reference is cute. I love it when authors tackle this event into their story. As historical account for Hephaistion is very scarce and limited, this particular quarrel with Krateros definitely stood out. It was quite out of character for Alexander to mutter such words to the man he claimed he loved above others. Imagine my disappointment with him haha. Alas, nobody is perfect.

I like how your Alexander solved the problem by admitting the fault in the system, rather than just being mushy about it in front of his men. And that remark by Nearchos about Hephaistion being unsinkable. Haha. Good story. Really enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
delos13 chapter 2 . 2/16/2019
How possessive Hephaistion is "either I kill him or no one does!" I think that he might have intended to say those words in hatred but in truth they were said in love. And truly so, he missed so many golden opportunities to kill Alexander and he gave himself those constant excuses that the killing must be public, that he deed, for the full effect, must be theatrical, no less than one done by Pausanias; but those were all excuses, even if wanted it and planned it, and calculated it, he could have never do it. I wonder at what moment he realized it? Or maybe he always knew it but didn't want or couldn't accept?

I find Hephaistion's journey to the Alexander's camp where the king lay so close to death and his words to his beloved described very beautifully and realistic. Later on, Hephaistion's feelings after Alexander recovered well enough to rejoin the base camp and asked Hephaistion to his tent are described equally emotionally. I was especially struck by the thought that Hephaistion's words about his lost honor gave Alexander will and reason to live. Yes, he said those words that he should have never say and he could do nothing to take them back. The incident hurt Hephaistion awfully but now I realize those words hurt Alexander no less. Was he afraid that one day in the future, in his monumental rage, he could actually kill Hephaistion the same way he killed Cleitos? Then, he truly would face the choice: what was more important to him - his kingship or his love for Hephaistion, would he chose his kingship and survive (as he survived Cleitos' murder) or would he chose his love for Hephaistion and kill himself as a result? There would be no middle, no compromise.

I loved, of course, the ending. Following the logic of your story, it made complete sense that it was when and why Hephaistion was made the Chilliarch.

Speaking of Medea. I recently read another version (David Stuttard, "Greek Mythology: a traveller's guide from Mount Olympos to Troy"); its author says that Medea killing her children was a story probably invented by Euripides; originally the children were killed by enraged Corinthians because the children were the ones who brought the poisoned clothes to Glauka. Unfortunately, the author doesn't state the source but he mentiones the memorial to Medea's children in ancient Korinth near the fountain of Glauka.

Once again, I truly enjoy reading this story and hope to read many more in future!
delos13 chapter 1 . 2/16/2019
What an unexpected surprise! After all I wasn't sure if you're going to write this story. I am happy you did.

The title of the story surprised me. By Medea, and I assume by her maddening rage and disasters that it brought, did you mean Alexander or Hephaistion? Or maybe both of them?

When I saw the story, and because of our discussions, I knew what was coming but I didn't know how. And I enjoyed reading every sentence of it. Though many possible and realistic versions of this even exist in my head, this one is equally possible, and very much in accordance with morals of those times. Yes, public honor was very important in those times and this attitude continued well into future, to medieval and later times when men (and I've read some women too!) fought duels to protect and prove their honor. I don't know if public duels, or personal combats, were a thing in Alexander's time but avenging one's honor by killing the offender was. Hephaistion was bound by the morals of the time to avenge himself and he was sure that honor trumped love but in the end we know that the love had an upper hand.

Off to the next chapter to see how it all unveils.

I see yet another personage of Alexander's close companions that we have the similar opinion about - Ptolemy. Distant and calculating. I wonder how much Alexander trusted him... he was the last one to be made a Somatofilax (among the first seven) though he was the oldest.
Troilus chapter 2 . 2/15/2019
Phantastic story !
Very authentic and - very believable .
I'm impressed !