Reviews for Barren
Ezmerelda chapter 1 . 4/26/2003

I must say that, well. Words escape me. I liked it, I actually did, which actually surprises me. I'm usually more of a "Fluff" reader, angsty pieces I usually pass by, but since this was short, I decided to read it...and I surprised myself by actually liking it. You know, the respect in Snape's eyes means so much more than the look of a lover, I think...

Well done.
Aine Deande chapter 1 . 4/26/2003
Absolutely utterly brilliant. By *God*, I loved this. Originality, beautiful writing, perfect characterization, angst of course (lots of it, but that's never stopped me from reading a fic before), intensely dark and darkly intense, influenced by two books that seem unlikely to go together. . . I am beyond impressed by this. I've done the rare thing of both adding this story to my Favorites and copying the story into a document for latter re-reading.

I love how you've portrayed Hermione here, as well as all the others. . . we feel for her and can understand everybody else's reasoning and reactions to both her predicament and her solution for it, but at the same time it's abundantly clear to us that this is the only course of action a Hermione Granger would allow to see happen in a live world. I love how detailed you've made this one-shot. . . how you begin by describing numbness in a most gorgeous way, for instance, and how you emphasize certain aspects of her personality by doing so. Her mind has always been her domain, and now it's destroyed the rest of her, so that her domain can prevail. Because if she were to have been Used it would have surely destroyed her.

The title says so much about the piece. I took the liberty of looking up its exact definition. . . 1) incapable of producing offspring; 2) lacking (especially useful) vegetation; 3) unproductive of results or gains, unprofitable; 4) devoid of something specified; 5) lacking in liveliness or interest. So actually you've revealed everything about the story in that tiny word alone. And what a story it is. Truly remarkable, as well as (re-)commendable. Really, really excellent.
Pearle chapter 1 . 4/26/2003
Interesting. Slightly dark and intense but definately held my interest. I must say I have enjoyed your other fictions too, Relization, over coffee and Heart Over Mind (An update?). Both very enjoyable reads also.
OzRatbag2 chapter 1 . 4/26/2003
This was really quite dark and suitably angst ridden.

It is, like 'Heart over Mind' very well written and very well metered. Your descriptions are, as always, very descriptive and visual. I felt that I could see the snow swirling and feel the bitter cold.

This fic actually conjures more questions than it answers, even with an initial reading.

Was Hermione still a student and what evidence was there to suggest that Voldemort had distinct plans for her magical essence?

If Hermione did indeed brew the potion correctly and had consigned herself to a strictly Muggle status, how is it possible that she can reside in the Infirmary - within a magical Hogwarts?

(I get so confused with canon and fanon now, but I think that I recall that in canon, Muggles see Hogwarts as a ruin.)

I did enjoy this and anything that offers an original plot, with wonderful writing will draw me everytime.
Busty Sinclaire chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
that was amazing. it's great and i loved it and i'm sorry it's over. the bible passage is the one that says something about if your right hand causes you to sin, then cut it off. and it says the same thing about your eye too. i always thought that was a but extreme,too.

note to self: religionfreaky
becka5 chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
I was incredibly impressed by this story. Despite the somber subject matter, I really liked it. It was powerful, poignant and insightful.
Atalaya chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
this is pretty cool... just a comment that you started to ramble a bit.. (too long i mean)

but i really liked it a lot... nice story, uh... bloody, but nice! lol
Amelia's chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
Absolutely brilliant! Dark and purposeful, with a stark realism. I'm a huge fan of all your work and this is just lovely - a fantastic bit of angst!
Julia chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
ah! It was really, really good angst, That's going to be hard to forget. I need to read something fluffy now...*whimper*
Amrun chapter 1 . 4/25/2003
If all angst were like yours, I think I would scream. But, not from horror as you may think, but from joy. This is palpable, and most of what is labeled "angst" today is completely ungraspable. Everyone can relate to Hermione's mentality in this story. (Well, atleast I can, I guess I shouldn't speak for others.) I love love love loved this one! It's going in my favorites! It was so creative, the plot was new, and you were well informed. It seems to me as if you did a little research. Atleast someone has enough sense to see that this is not a DRAG; it makes your writing more authentic. I just wanted to thank you for writing this wonderful, wonderful story.
55 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4