Reviews for The Z Gamer
1210justinp chapter 42 . 5/22
the fact that you wrote this in the span of 5 yrs and the story hasn't covered a year yet, that's how painfully slow the pacing.
Efail1 chapter 18 . 5/18
I get it's because PLOT but why would his emotions affect progress with a skill given to him by the system? That kind of just feels like a cop-out to force the generic 'I killed someone I'm a monster' scene that seems to happen in a lot of media because other media does it and forces him to lower his gamers mind because... reasons? It only restricts emotional highs as much as you the author make it.

The entire scene feels like it was meant to be some sort of character development but instead it kind of just feels like a peek behind the curtain and seeing that you're willing to pull random nerfs/*sspulls in order to force certain plot developments. Like if it was for his own peace of mind I'd understand or something that he set out as his own personal need/want to see himself get over. But you linked the act to an actual mechanical effect that was hindering his progress in a skill when that's the entire point of the system so why would it hinder itself?
Popo: "Alright maggots, listen up. Popo's about to teach you the Pecking Order. It goes: you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool (his dung), Kami, then Popo. Any questions?"

Krillin: "Um... Yeah I... AAAAGH!" [Krillin Owned Count: 3]

Popo: "Enjoy the climb back up, bitch! ..Now any more questions?"

Yajirobe, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu , Yamcha : *SILENCE*

Popo: "Good. Then we can begin."
dan.lew.upg chapter 42 . 4/27
can't wait for more
Marshman101 chapter 42 . 4/22
This is really good and I wonder how goku will turn out, and I love how ten can turn off the gamer mind as I don't think I have seen a gamer story that has that feature ever.
Marshman101 chapter 30 . 4/19
I like how he can turn off the gamer mind to let himself be him and not a cold killer
AureusCaduceus chapter 42 . 4/10
Alright, just finished catching up with the entire story. It starts getting good in the Central City arc, but really hits its stride in the Family Reunion Arc. Ten actually becomes a character during it. The first arc is really rough, and doesn't succeed in establishing Ten's background. I don't get the purpose of the prologue's existence to this very day. It just ends up feeling like an earlier draft of the first chapter. They end up contradicting each other and leave me wondering why Ten started randomly caring about the main quest he was given.

Whenever he starts reminiscing about how far he's come from that depressed loser who spends all day in his room, I can't really empathize that much with his triumph due to never really seeing that. He works out for a little bit around the neighborhood, and then a McDojo sensei he trained with shows up to say he should drop out of school to go on a martial arts pilgrimage. This happens in the first three chapters.

With that general review out of the way, I'll move on to the main chapter. I originally thought the Greenlight serum was made from the preserved remains of one of Piccolo's mutant offspring, but Red Ribbon has somehow managed to find and unseal the original article himself. They'll be the ones to also reveal the secrets of his Namekian heritage to the Demon King. Piccolo learning to fuse with other beings that possess Namekian DNA will surely be the biggest game-changer. Especially with them now creating multiple hybrids that will continuously grow in power that are susceptible to his mental control. Not to mention the worst-case scenario of him trying to fuse with Kami.

Korin gave a far more impressive showing than his canon counterpart. Making him the mentor of Baba in the mystic arts was a really smart addition. This in tandem with him cultivating a mystical tree up in the Aether while talking about Alchemy really solidified his image as a bonafide Sage/Xian. We've transitioned from superhero-themed Wuxia battles against shadowy organizations to heavenly Xianxia journeys with deity cultivators. This is made even more novel by the MC not being a one-dimensional murderhobo who has actually undergone spiritual growth.

Can't help feeling as if the topic of sacrifice being brought up is leading to a revelation on how the magic behind Ten's system functions. This mythical tree of life requiring the blood and lives of countless generations to grow and produce legendary alchemical ingredients almost parallels how Ten acquires experience points and levels. Similar to how 'Neidan' mirrors 'Waidan.'

You know, I always see amateur writers mistakenly think that always winning fights or never losing is what makes a character a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but that simply isn't the case. What's actually wrong with such characters are that they have no meaningful flaws and struggles that come with actual consequences. For example, Ten constantly worries about falling into the empty existence of a ruthlessly efficient murderhobo. He's also had to deal with his fight against Red Ribbon sparking a bloody world war that has even harmed his loved ones. All of this makes for a far more interesting character than one who just loses a lot of fights. The character writing has gotten a hell of a lot better than it was earlier in the story. Back when Ten would form deep connections with others due to offscreen conversations about books.

Also, if I see a reviewer make another mention of Abridged Popo or TFS in general... I will call Bojack-sama to eviscerate you band kids posthaste.
Lamont chapter 42 . 4/7
AureusCaduceus chapter 37 . 4/9
Oh wait, Palm was the one who refused. I get those two mixed up nvm.
AureusCaduceus chapter 36 . 4/9
You included Kai as one of the people at his house.
uchiha-rune chapter 42 . 4/8
Great chaoter, I cant wait for the next one
DeadKing24712 chapter 42 . 4/7
I'm a bit irked that Korin didn't help Bura tho tbh
uchiha-rune chapter 8 . 4/6
I definitely agree, to many things follow along with cannon, I dont think its bad to incoude cannon events, but include some things that derail from cannon, a great example is a Highschool DXD fanfiction I read, it follows the dannon timeline mostly but it also includes things like the OC main cahracter being related to a strong yakuza oragnization, some treading into the past of her family. Than theres one of the longest going highschool DXD fanfiction where it starts years before the cannon where it completely derails all of the main characters friends backstories, there are also plenty of fanfiction in naruto where Naruto creates his own ninja village, doing the movies but with major twists to them, those make it interesting
Numbet1ebaystoregmail chapter 42 . 4/5
glad he made it
zubzilla chapter 32 . 4/5
wow, this is such a terrible choice
1,573 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »