Reviews for In 26
foreverautumn99 chapter 6 . 8/7/2019
enjoying these very much
Michael Sharkey chapter 5 . 7/16/2019
So interesting is this approach, this "take," on these episodes. Visual media, such as television, are inherently third person. The viewer is inevitably the "fly on the wall." Efforts to achieve the first (or even second) person, such as voice-over or soliloquy, are often awkward. (The show tried it a few times, such as Emma pondering The House that Jack Built. But always sparingly.)

But converting a TV episode to prose, with its easy access to a character's thoughts, is exactly the way to achieve these levels. The reader, unlike the viewer, can directly experience someone's mind and heart. It's like descending to a subterranean river, beneath the visible plot, and traveling it from opening scene to finale. Of course, one of the downsides of prose is that we can't truly appreciate Purdey's saunter :-)

One can't help wondering why neither even suspected the other was the real deal. But such ploys are a literary commonplace, from Shakespeare's comedies on down to Clark Kent and his amazing transformative glasses. So we suspend our wonderings, and enjoy the ride!
Michael Sharkey chapter 4 . 5/30/2019
An interesting insert, with a serious tone befitting the knife fight that precedes it – which was quite a serious scene by lighthearted Avengers standards. (BTW the same director did my favorite Tara episode, All Done with Mirrors)

Purdey's dismissal of Mike's Berlin wounds as "bullets fired by faceless enemies" recalls one of the axioms of war, i.e. that the enemy isn't shooting at you, but at the uniform. It fits her professionalism nicely. And it highlights why the relatively minor stab wound is so distressing. We know, of course, who occupies the innermost circle of Dante's hell...

"He was a good teacher, even back then." That line gave me pause. It struck me as such a bleak comment on the 'lesson" Spence taught Mike about friendship. Perhaps Mike's follow-up (after a pause), "And a good friend," is his effort not to succumb to nihilism.
Michael Sharkey chapter 3 . 4/27/2019
Delightful sketch! Rather like a second tag to the original episode.

Such wonderful glints, like Purdey brushing the wrinkles of Mike's shirt. The urge of a woman to touch a man's personal belongings, like a sublimated kiss. In old movies, leading ladies often found a pretext to touch Cary Grant's lapel the same way. And he knew the meaning full well, as does Mike.

This might be an odd observation, but you leverage the pronouns quite skillfully. Using the he/she, and him/her, to keep the interplay clear and flowing. As the world is going, maybe someday that distinction will disappear. On that day, I will mourn.

"The slip of metal..." —what a deft description. And immediately followed by the proper spelling of favour :-)

/ Purdey blinked in surprise at the recollection. "I do," she said, half to herself / "Recollection" is such a better choice than something obvious like reminder or mention. It shows her focus on her own mind. Same with "half to herself." The slight, albeit pleasant, narcissism of a woman at ease in her own skin.