Reviews for Like a Hand in a Flame
Can you add more to this story? It Is so good!
VeraRose19 chapter 8 . 3/18
Snape's methods here were so good. Focusing on all the different senses to get Harry to calm down and give him something to work on while they talked. So good. This story is wonderful.
VeraRose19 chapter 3 . 3/18
I am loving this! Thank you for writing.
Sorry, I don't think you've thought this through properly.

Firstly, Dumbledore should punish himself. He's the villain who left a traumatised toddler on a doorstep - what a way to hear of your sister's death! - without asking; without offering the family help or support in dealing with residual trauma and/or outbreaks of accidental magic; and without regular checks on Harry's welfare.

(Or the Dursleys' welfare, for that matter. Given their (very well justified) fear and abhorrence of magic, and the fact that Harry's arrival turned Petunia into a shut-in whose one outing a year was Dudley's birthday, and left her unable to consult friends or professionals about childcare issues, their welfare should have been of concern. Damage the carers and you damage the children.)

And Dumbledore is also the villain who's just left a Muggle child effectively abandoned, without making arrangements for his care. (And BTW, I hope the magic includes an unending supply of food and water and electricity and a working bathroom, or the "working kitchen" won't sustain life for long.)

Secondly, the MoM blames any magic at the Dursley household on Harry, so this revenge will only make Harry's situation worse, and possibly even lead to the abuse becoming known. (And how did Snape forget that so quickly, after having referenced it himself earlier in the day?)

Thirdly, turning Muggles into living dolls is illegal not only for being Dark magic, but it's also precisely the sort of magic that breaks the Statute of Secrecy, and risks exposing wizwitchery to the Muggle world. (I suppose they're depending on corrupt Arthur Weasley to hush it up for him. Which he will, of course.)
DJArla chapter 12 . 3/4
Oh. I was really enjoying this and then it suddenly ended. I hope you do end up writing a sequel that ties in with this because I thought this was going really well but I have so many unanswered questions!
mc1221318 chapter 11 . 2/20
Great story. Thank you.
Kallanit chapter 10 . 2/18
Okay, my concerns I mentioned in my previous review have more or less been addressed in this chapter. I'm just surprised Petunia showed remorse so quickly.
Kallanit chapter 9 . 2/18
The Dursleys' punishment puzzles me. If Dudley's in foster care, who will help feed Petunia and Vernon, or are they supposed to starve to death? And has anyone called Grunnings to give a reason for Vernon not coming to work or will he lose his job over the radio silence? Again, if Dudley's in foster care, what's happening with the house? Have the authorities just left it as is? Have the utilities beeln cancelled? If the authorities think Petunia and Vernon have abandoned Dudley, do they have the right to move tenants into the house or sell it (and put the money in an account for Dudley) or will they just leave it standing empty? And when Petunia (probably not Vernon) returns to normal, will she be arrested for abandoning Dudley and how will she get him back? And if Vernon loses his job, how will she support them? I realise I'm probably over thinking this, but this situation will cause a lot of problems that the Wizarding World can't really afford.
I read this story a while back and had the urge to come back to it. So good! I love the way you wrote it. Thank you.
Guest chapter 10 . 11/18/2020
Oh wow. I usually HATE the Harry-Dumbledore confrontation scene because it often seems like Harry does turn into a nightmare of a teenager and let’s it fly and goes a bit overboard on Dumbledore, or the scene just takes away from the Harry-Snape dynamic altogether. That DID NOT happen here. I nearly cried! This was perfectly balanced and angst ridden and I. Character. I absolutely love this story.
Ellaquill chapter 11 . 11/18/2020
This was a beautiful story from start to finish! It’s rare that these can move me to tears but this is the closest any has gotten in a very long time. That mention of discussing it with his friends is such a teaser...would have loved a scene like that (maybe fodder for a one shot one day?) Brilliantly done.
Smithback chapter 11 . 11/16/2020
excellent
Steve-Arkarian chapter 11 . 10/20/2020
This was a pretty good story and I'm definitely going to check your page to see if you've written not only other stories but a sequel to this because there is a lot of loosens. Does Harry ever tell his friends? Does Severus ever confide in Harry? How much of Cannon are you including in your story later such as horcruxes or Voldemort? Does Harry ever see a healer to get a full workout and who is that healer? Do they notice not only the abuse but the use of the blood quill? Is the scar on his forehead a horcrux or not and can they do anything about it? Etc etc. So I will go and look now and if there isn't one I really hope you consider writing a sequel in the future because again there is so much left that can be done.
Steve-Arkarian chapter 5 . 10/20/2020
Great story so far but two things regarding this chapter. one Severus never got around to feeding himself or Harry even though he had said something about it earlier might have been in the last chapter but same day? Which is also especially important if Harry is becoming or leaning towards being malnourished from a lack of food over the last month. The other thing is it was kind of weird when you were doing the different sections regarding different peoples not that in itself but when you had this section on Severus and he was thinking about himself wouldn't he also think about himself as Severus and not refer to himself as Snape as you wrote repeatedly? Sorry not trying to be nitpicky just curious.
Steve-Arkarian chapter 1 . 10/20/2020
I'm assuming Harry tends to hide his things in his room a lot of the time including under the loose floorboard under his bed which is where I think he was keeping his medicine maybe in the closet I don't know but I'm assuming usually that's where he keeps his wand invisibility cloak photo album stuff like that if he kept the form and I'm also confused why his trunk and things were upstairs and not locked in the cupboard like they normally are. I realize none of that is directly a question but do you kind of see sort of what I'm asking I guess?