Reviews for Crime and Punishment
Sergey Volodyakov chapter 2 . 7/4/2008
Well, that was interesting. Hmm, okay let's see here... Dounia and Svidrigailov's conversation here was MUCH different than when they had last seen each other. All of that hatred; she even tried to kill him with her revolver. I wonder why she didn't use it this time? Also, whatever happened to Svidrigailov's betrothed after he went to prison for Raskolnikov's crime? See, I don't like Svidrigailov at all, and I never did. This just made me dislike him even more, though there were a few parts that I found quite amusing. Very well written; I just don't really like the story much.
Maxioron chapter 2 . 8/20/2007
Beyond the first few sentences which are just unnecessary summary, the actual story is very well written. It would have been better if you had integrated the text to make it /all/ read like the story, instead of a story attached to a grocery list of things that have now happened this way instead of that.

I dislike how you ignore the symbolism that each character is meant to represent and assume that the author makes every decision because he sees the character as a living person rather than the breathing form of an idea.

Porfiry didn't need to find out if he was right or wrong. He /knew/ he was right, and didn't recieve any 'sick pleasure' from Raskolnikov's imprisonment, but if anything from his continual suffering always on the edge outside of prison. So, assuming that Raskolnikov's sentence (which he even wanted to /lighten/) was rewarding to him is a contradiction (and we have no reason to believe he was lying as he spoke of such things, as he didn't lie about anything else at that point to Raskolnikov either.) As an officer, I'm sure he was glad that the criminal at last confessed and the case was finally closed, but 'sick pleasure' is hardly justified by the text.

And of course Raskolnikov's punishment takes place before his understanding! Why do you think prisons /exist/? One of the reasons people are sent to prison instead of execution for their crimes is in hopes of /reforming/ them. The idea is that, through a sort of 'suffering' (being held in captivity, among other terrible things about prison) they will come to understand that what they did was wrong. If every criminal who did a crime immediately knew what he did was not morally right, then there would be no /need/ for punishment, and no /need/ to convince him through suffering that he was wrong! In Raskolnikov's case, why would he commit such a massive crime for the sake of an ideal which he would so easily be persuaded to abandon suddenly afterwards? He's a strong willed and headed character to commit /murder/, why would he suddenly lose that? Not only that, but it is alluded through Sonia that it was not the punishment that at last brought him to the realization, but /love/-and that only through that intense suffering could that love for her be amplified to the point that he could change.

Also, I doubt that Raskolnikov could really give two shits about what happens to Svidrigailov, a man that he clearly disliked in the book. Why would he suddenly become so empathetic to someone else? (Because, if the /first/ two murders didn't get him to care, seeing someone else go to jail and give him the /perfect/ escape from all his problems will!) If anything, /your/ version randomly "catalyzes his remorse."

However, I love the idea that Svidrigailov would rather go to jail than kill himself. You made a /very/ valid point: "He gives Dunya a chance to shoot him, proving that he would rather die than hurt her." And your story played on that interesting idea very well! Good job!

But-this is aside from the rest-/please/, take down the full explanation. You can link to a site containing it, or put a sentence of two of the main idea of it in an author's note at the beginning of your story, but you can't post it /here/. It is NOT ALLOWED and NOT FICTION. If you don't want your story to be reported or don't want to spam the site with English essays instead of fanfiction, it would be best to remove it.

Plus, if you're a good writer (which you clearly are), the reader can make those connections themselves and get what you're driving at without being told.
Spoofmaster chapter 1 . 1/3/2005
I forgot to say, I don't like Porfiry either. He's...mean. heehee, I'm complaining because he tried to capture an axe-murderer.

But poor Rodion's already so screwed up in the head that Profiry's methods are really just cruel.
Spoofmaster chapter 2 . 1/3/2005
Yes, it is a better ending for Svidrigailov, but it's really not for Raskolnikov. It is through suffering that he will be rejoined with society, and you have denied him his suffering. Perhaps if he had spoken out when he saw what would become of Svidrigailov I would be better pleased with your version of the ending.

Svidrigailov's suicide did surprise me in the book, and I do agree that it doesn't seem very in-character for him.

You were very good in keeping the style when you wrote Dounia's visit. I imagine that you must have read a lot of the book in not very much time-it's very catching, isn't it?
gabo0 chapter 2 . 12/27/2003
Well, it's been a while since I read that novel... almost... 8-) well, a lot. I read it when I was 12 or 13, so, like you can guess, Ididn't analuze the ending.
I can't say i didn't like yours. but I'm platonically *in love* with Rodion. U Well, I like him a lot. He was the 'good' one... at least, for a 13-year-old girl.
I don't like Svidrigalov... never did. And, well, here he looks oh so good. I'm just telling you my point of view. i could be wrong (most likely) but, well, i need to read the book again.
Last month I read another Dostoievski novel... It's just that I don't know the name in english. I'm peruvian (that's the reason of the horrible gramatical mistakes). Humillados y Ofendidos... I don't kjnow if you can find the traslation.
Well, I've been looking for people who have read Dostoievski books, and after a while, you're the only one who write a fanfiction about it.
After I read the book, I'll write to you again.
Maybe we can really chat qabuout facts, and no memories.
Also, i hope to read another story like this. You know, a post-book U. I always wanted to do thatt
AmZ chapter 2 . 5/1/2003
it's been a while since i've read Crime and Punishment. it's kind of weird to see the names latinized instead of in original cyrillic.

i didn't like the ending either. you're right, the punishment is all in Raskol'nikov's head. and i found his sudden Sonya-induced guilt as unconvincing as Valjean's Bishop-induced Enlightenment. Raskolnikov suffered because of his deed, but he suffered selfishly - he only mourned his own weakness. or rather, i think he mourned living in the world where what he did is a crime and not a benefit. in any case, he was mourning everything but his victims. his question posed to Sonya, "Do I have the right to power?" (i'm not sure if this is how it got translated), is a good indication of his selfish priorities. he is clearly far from guilt proper when he goes off to Siberia.

Svidrigajlov, on the other hand, posesses a certain Kantian appeal. he may not be able to rid himself of baser desires, but at least he knows not to follow them - and therein lies his freedom, as well as his moral superiority over Rodion. and he certainly doesn't seem the type to kill himself over romantic troubles. so his suicide seems to me a bit out of character.

so you're right - the original ending was unsatisfying.

i liked your version. it's well-written and it leaves Svidrigajlov among the living. i always liked the guy. he had such gorgeous nightmares. :)

however, i'm not sure if i can reconcile his sudden desire to become a saint for Dunya's sake to his personality. on one hand, yes, he loves her. on the other... it seems to me that he's not the type to do something if he doesn't really want it himself. so if he does want to become saint-like now, it's probably not because of Dunya, but because he himself evolved to that point.

this, by the way, why Valjean's instantaneous transition from thief to saint bothers me. Hugo seems to think that human psyche is terrifically easy to fix: just add Jesus! but Javert is right to judge Valjean harshly: 19 years of being a violent brute are not likely to dissipate just because Valjean now wears better clothes. unless Valjean is ready to become a saint - which he is obviously not at the time of his release from Toulon - no amount of cajouling will have any effect. realistically, he should have thought of the priest in the same manner that Montparnasse later would think of him: as a barmy old codger.

okay, i'm rambling now, so i'll just go quietly. here's the actual review: good story. :)