Reviews for Queen
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 12/5/2008
the name thing is so true! i'd never noticed it before...good eye.

sad story! i liked it though. keep writing xD
Ori Stav chapter 1 . 3/21/2004
Don't know the characters and setting you're referring to, but you really can drive a strong ending. Tu che. Just thought you'd like to know it works even for a Legendary Illiterate who could not tell what race etc. are concerned.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
In a year since reading The Silmarillion, I never thought I would like Orodreth one bit, but your tale of her is astonishing, haunting and beautiful. She says she's not the strong one, but it seems that her weakness is in denying her own strength. I'm amazed, and on the verge of tears.
Tindomiel chapter 1 . 1/8/2004
Oh my. This has made my day after concriting so many LOTR Sues. It really has.
Sothis Simbelmyne chapter 1 . 8/6/2003
This is so beautiful and yet terrible.

When in happier days she was asked what she would like to be sung about her, she had one, the most simple of answers, half in jest, half in the bitterness only her eyes dared speak of. To this the minstrels held, and they told the most simple of stories.

And so history remembered Orodreth as King of Nargothrond.

This bit is very moving indeed.

Though your story is very AU, it is somehow very belivable. You portrayed your characters vividly.

It did not take me long to guess who the son, who the daughter, and who the queen was.
Thalia Weaver chapter 1 . 6/24/2003
I don't know how I can do justice to this in a review. You are incredibly talented, and this was one of the most beautiful fics I've ever read, Silm and LotR both.

Wow. ...I don't know what to say, but...you're amazing. This is incredible. It's gripping- and the style is mythical, almost, and sad, and it's just- wow. *wishes she had something more coherent to say*
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 6/9/2003
So circa 400 years of provincial governorship of the main traffic corridor and defense headquarters of the Noldor, the literal middle of everything from a strategic standpoint, right smack in the heart of five overlapping major cultures - which means all kinds of people, seeing the governor of the castle in action, for centuries on end - are a fiction, a scribal interpolation? That stretches credibility, even before considering the bit in L&C about how history and geneology are particularly the province of nissi, not néri...

Ai.
Hellga chapter 1 . 5/14/2003
Almost too AU for me, I always had a special place in my heard for the House of Finarfin. And I can't connect to the characters - maybe because I come from the society where women are not dominated by men... Tolkien's world is closer to my soul... But your story is still very very interesting for my mind, even if it cannot be accepted by my heart :)
Hellga chapter 1 . 5/14/2003
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 5/9/2003
Oh my. *worships at your altar*

So very dark, and beautiful. Especially the descriptions of Finduilas (and it did take me a while to work out who the girl was, although I recognised the boy as Celebrimbor as soon as you mentioned the forges)

Oh yes, melikes, precious...
queenieb chapter 1 . 5/4/2003
How stunning! How magnificent! How utterly and tragically beautiful...I love it!
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
[Somehow, I think the only weakness of hers is not to want to be held responsible for her *potential* faults, and that is why she repeats to herself that she had never been the strong one, while she IS strong. It's just an excuse, I guess.]

A magnificent story, drawing the portrait of an amazing character. Incredible. Marvellous. Unbelievable. Out of this world. Wondrous. I'll soon be running out of synonyms. You get my drift.

The kind of story I'll reread again and again, and never will get old. And it's so hard to write a woman in Tolkien's universe. Really, it's kind of a horror story. There's something about the language... I don't know. Speechless. Yeah, I rant a lot for someone who's speechless.

One great moment was when she hears Celebrimbor yell at his father behind closed doors and... But the character of Finduilas is also alarming, sweet but poisoned. Indeed she's got something of her father in her. I can imagine Orodreth's pain when her own daughter turns upon her. And about Celebrimbor, "Thinking of how much he looked like his father, she was able not to weep." Stunning.

But... this story is poison. I can't put it in words. And the ending...

Okay, I think I'll shut up, because I'll never end up saying anything coherent at this rate.

But I will not hesitate to deem this to be a masterpiece of silmfiction.
Lalwen chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
This was stunning! I am absolutely speechless - I'll have to re-read it just to get all the subtle references, but thanks to Mouse for pointing me in this direction...

Truly, wow...

*speechless*

*adds to favourite stories*
Cirdan chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
Glad you published it! :) It's a wonderful tale, and maybe not the least because we're also women living in a male-doiminated society, and no, it's not fun, and yeah, we are seen as weak. :/ I like the evil premise of the story, the mere -dreth that started this. And it's very cleverly played through. You covered a lot of time well and somehow said all that needed to be said. And I can't really blame Orodreth for being the way she is because she does live in the shadow of Finrod and Galadriel. I felt sorry for Orodreth throughout but was rather smug at what she was able to accomplish. And I _like_ her. I must admit that it's rare that I like female characters so much, but I suppose Orodreth is the type to really suit me. :) Great fic.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 5/2/2003
You finally posted it! I'm so glad; it's very clever, and deeply disturbing. And it reminds me of Deborah's piece "Mother and Daughter", which makes me like it even more! AU to a purpose.