Reviews for The Things We Do
Robin Y chapter 1 . 10/4
"I want you ... You, and this, and us, for the rest of my days." This is one of the most sincere and personal declarations of love (and marriage proposals) I've ever read. I absolutely love your portrayal of Brienne and Jaime and their relationship with all its complexity. They're so much themselves, so very in character.

It's rather late again, so this may not be very coherent, but these are some of the things I liked most about your fic:

The scene of Brienne and Jamie playing in the snow, so very joyful, lighthearted and free!

Brienne's feelings of worry and apprehension, when summoned to Sansa. I think it's quite realistic, that there would be all kinds of worst-case scenarios coming to her mind.

Sansa: For all she has changed and for all she's been through, there are still some glimpses of the innocent, romantic girl in her.

Podrick: Another person, who loves Brienne, is protective of her. Something she so much deserves after all the scorn and abuse she has endured. I am curious about the talks she had with him "at great length, trying to get him to understand". Do we get a glimpse of that?

The portrayal of a healthy, loving relationship between Jaime and Brienne: the strong connection and unconditional love they share, a bond that goes very deep and beyond a romantic relationship. They're equals, have seen each other at their best and their worst.

The way they learn to communicate and actually talk with each other even though they make mistakes. And yes, it was a mistake (though well meant) of Brienne to have Jaime see only his good side when with her. It might be dangerous to block out his dark side, the things he was capable of and it might lead him to think he has to hide parts of him.

In one thing she was right though. It might help him to express his feelings more ( e.g. "ride out to an empty field and scream into the wilderness") rather than silently brooding over them. Especially, if Cersei is really dead.
Brienne is right there too: believing someone dead and knowing it with certainty are two very different things.

Cersei is a hateful person (and still a victim herself), the relationship she and Jaime had was toxic in many aspects, but they have a very deep bond too: being twins, growing up together in a very closed-off family, more than 40 years of being siblings and lovers, had children together, lost children together... I doubt this bond can be broken completely.

Jaime: eloquent, sassy, sometimes sarcastic, confident, caring, playful, anxious, full of self-hatred and self-doubt at times - I love how you describe him with all his contrariness.
I feel Brienne's concern at the end of this chapter is justified. Jaime is unusually vulnerable, but there is more. His pleas to not leave him behind have a child-like nuance, a hint of regression.

Brienne: there's that mixture of strength and vulnerability I fell in love with. On the one hand she's so competent, fierce, brave, loyal and confident, sometime harsh and impatient, on the other hand she's emotional, sensitive, can be insecure, awkward and self-deprecating.
It's incomprehensible to her at first, that the children admire her. That Jaime really wants to marry her. Years of being rejected and laughed at have left scars. Yet, she's one of the most loving and caring characters.
And she's a lot more open with her feelings than Jaime. She's the one that cries and sobs openly, expresses fury by slapping him (which between two warriors in this situation isn't domestic violence in my mind), she addresses emotional difficult topics directly, shows tenderness and passion. Did I already say I love the way you write her?
Robin Y chapter 11 . 10/2
Thank you for this new chapter! I enjoyed it very much and will definitely write a more detailed review. It's quite late in the evening here ... so for now just: thank you!
presea221 chapter 11 . 9/29
It was worth the wait! I like how you made Sansa react to everything about Jaime. Yeah, part of her is still wary, but at the same time, she still has some of the old romantic in her. I wonder what really happened to Cersei? Jaime is probably right, I think, but who knows? Felt sorry for Jaime with having nightmares. I wouldn't be surprised if they all had PTSD after their experiences now. I'm glad that Brienne pushed enough to get him to talk and seeing Jaime's vulnerabilities at the end where he needs her to promise not to leave him was also very good.
Faith O chapter 11 . 9/26
One of my favorite fics. Thanks for the new chapter.
jasnrob chapter 11 . 9/19
Enjoyed your story!
jasnrob chapter 1 . 9/19
Thank you for writing this, my heart needed the fix-it. How sweet that Bran was able to help her see clearly.
onetreefan chapter 11 . 9/19
Brilliant update as always! Their love just breaks my heart ️
One of my favorite stories
Love the dialogue and their inner thought s
Robin Y chapter 10 . 7/13
This is amazing! I loved every chapter oft it.
FirstDraft chapter 10 . 7/9
Lovely lovely fluff and a perfect ending to this story. You had Brienne and Jaime’s voices down pat, and I enjoyed all the little descriptive touches that added to the atmosphere and feel of it. Thank you!
FirstDraft chapter 7 . 7/9
"I am not a good man," he tells her, though there is no self-loathing in his tone. "Good men do not exist. Only good deeds, and those, I can give you. Starting today, and for the rest of my days."

PERFECTION. Thank you.
FirstDraft chapter 6 . 7/9
That was a great confrontation between Cersei and Jaime, something else the series robbed us of. Well done!
FirstDraft chapter 2 . 7/9
“Cersei has already threatened to kill him, and sent his former sell-sword to fulfil that promise; he must have some kind of plan to end this that will not result in his blood being shed along with hers.

Then she remembers that he jumped into a bear pit, once, one-handed and unarmed, just to save her life. It is the realisation of that which prompts her to mount the horse again and kick it into action, driving onwards into the freezing snow.

Of course he doesn't have a plan.”

Hahaha - that is perfect! Love how Brienne remembers just how stupid brave Jaime can be. :-)
presea221 chapter 10 . 6/28
This was wonderful! So much so that I can even disregard the beginning (OMG, Jaime, just DON'T do that. Xd) The snowball fight was adorable and I love how it led up to the big proposal. And their explanations as to why they love each other and how they want the other to see themself makes a lot of sense. We need a wedding next!
Sophinna chapter 10 . 6/27
I loved the South ending but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the North ending even more. It feels wonderfully in character and is just completely wonderful. Oh I do hope you continue writing!
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »