Reviews for The Wife of the Gatewarden
horsiegurl chapter 1 . 12/2/2004
Oh this is so sad. It is very well written. Sorry about Belgaer's Voice(she is a friend of mine.) If she really likes a story she will start to write very long reviews. We are sitting next to each other in our keyboarding class while she was writing her reveiw and I was watching her and she is watching me type this. I agree with her that this is very good. I like the names you have for the characters. I am going to read some other of your stories.
Belgaer's Voice chapter 1 . 12/2/2004
This story makes me equally grieved, joyous and envious.

Now, please allow me to explain:

Grief: You handled Hama's death and the emotions of Losian perfectly. It was touching, and poignant, and lovely. You seem to have a wonderful talent for writing.

Happiness: I have just read a lovely one-shot about an OFC near Hama (one of my favorite characters). She was handled wonderfully, and carried off without a whiff of a Mary-Sue. Your word choice and grammar are excellent. And you described Losian's feelings very well.

Envy: Pray how do you find the words to describe Losian's war-torn feelings? I fear I cannot do such a thing properly. Pray also, why art thou able to come up with better Rohirric names than I? And, if Ms. Weaver would consent, may I shamelessly steal one to use in a Rohan story of mine?

I believe that is all I have to say. Lovely job once again.

Cheers

Belgaer's Voice.
HomemadeMagic chapter 1 . 5/11/2003
Oh...Thalia...why do I always start my reviews to you like that? But...oh my gosh...I was crying, I really was...this was the very emotion that made me cry buckets in the theater during the scene at Helm's Deep, and nothing has changed. Oh, man...*turns away to wipe eyes* Thanks, Thalia, this was beautiful...if this keeps up, my entire favorites list is gonna be all your stories...
Wen Quendalie chapter 1 . 5/5/2003
Wow, what a great piece. I particularly liked how Losian had premonitions and that they consumed her when Hama dies *sniff*. Fantastic!
Sleepy Jean chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
You're two for two this week, Thals. Second fic you've posted that's brought actual tears to my eyes.

This was so well written, yet so very sad. I found it very touching. I can't even imagine having to be in her shoes, or in the shoes of anyone who has lost a love one in battle. I couldn't imagine losing my husband (if I had one)...

To sum all of this up in a word: Wow.
Godforsaken chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
*shivers* Haunting. I like it.
Laurel Whitney chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
Short, but powerful and moving. Well done! You capture Losian's emotions well. Brava!
Cainell chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
... *sniffles* You made me cry, you evil person.

This story rocks. Absolutely rocks.
French Pony chapter 1 . 5/2/2003
This is a very well written character study. Losian's love for Hama shines through this brilliantly. The tension of waiting, and the characters' different reactions to it were nicely drawn. I was really with you right up until the end.

I have to say that I don't quite buy the ending. The Rohirrim just don't strike me as the sort to just fade away once their husbands die - that seems a more Elvish thing to do. Suicide, possibly suttee, that sort of thing I could see. I just can't quite buy such a, well, passive sort of a death for Losian.

However, whether or not I agree with it, I must say that it was very well executed, as was the rest of the story.
Mercuria chapter 1 . 5/2/2003
Thalia ... YOU ROCK. This was great!

Critique? Gr, don't bug me. I'm busy admiring.
Eirtae chapter 1 . 5/2/2003
That was too sad for it's own good. I'm seriously crying right now... that was really good; lots of discription which is something I like. I wish I could write that well.
Failing Artist chapter 1 . 5/2/2003
Thalia-

That's great! I'd say all of the changes were for the better - if possible, this is even better than the last draft! :D Excellent finished copy.

I especially love what you've done with the ending.

Hugs, Em