Reviews for Mayday
Christine chapter 1 . 2/14/2005
Whoa...what a great story. It moved me to tears. Maedhros so courageous. The elf woman seeing the truth in him. The hair full of pins. Please keep writing.
seeing-spots chapter 1 . 12/22/2004
Wow. There is nothing more to say.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 11/14/2003
This is so moving, and it fits together so well. How can you fit such emotion and such power in so few words? I'm quite jealous.
skatinggeek chapter 1 . 8/28/2003
I love - and envy - your ability to convey such strong emotions through carefully chosen and perfect details (the braids to cover up the hair that's gone; the fire that's lit by Maedhros) and such economical use of words. Well done! My only slight critique is that the last sentence of the story doesn't feel quite right to me. It seems like the lead-in to another chapter, rather than a line that brings strong emotional closure. Or maybe it' s just me...
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 5/8/2003
Hmm...I really love your details. "My own brother lies on a matress on the floor". Of course, after crossing the Grinding Ice... And the scene with the woman is purely breathtaking, a real dramatic climax. Well done!
jilian baade chapter 1 . 5/5/2003
Ok, due to being it the Southern Hemisphere, this review is 6 months in the future! I loved it, how Maedhros gave himself to Fingolfin's people to do their worst to him if they wished, but I guess after being tormented by Morgoth, and hanging from a mountain, there isn't much you'd fear. And the woman who forgave him was a nice touch!
LadyLupin chapter 1 . 5/5/2003
Neato. Especially the part with the hair. YAY FOR SILMARILLION AUTHORS! I LOVE YOU ALL!
Finch chapter 1 . 5/5/2003
. I return from a vacation and find this! to draw me totally into the world of the Silmarillion again. You know how to get to the heart of it in amazingly few words, and this is definitely one of those read-and-reread-and-reread stories.

Your Maedhros is amazing, and his confrontation with the mother who lost her child was deeply moving.

The rest is incoherence, on my part.

Gemgold chapter 1 . 5/5/2003
What a powerful story! Outstanding in many ways.

Your characterizations are simply fantastic and you obviously have a talent for saying in one sentence what others need entire paragraphs for.

It's Mayday indeed, when someone in need of help comes to offer it at the risk of his ow life, or when Elves are about to turn into orcs without Morgoth's having to lift one finger. The most striking moment, though, was Maedhros feeling ashamed when faced with his right choice at Losgar. That says about all concerning the moral state of the Feanorians. And yet this is drama rather than angst, and all the more admirable for it.
monocotyledon chapter 1 . 5/4/2003
Wow. This is simply amazing.

I was relieved when the woman who lost her child realised Maedhros had no hand in the burning of the ships...

"There are still great chunks of my cousin’s hair missing, where it was pulled out, or broke off my in hands. His braids are a very clever illusion indeed. They are a Feanorian illusion, for all Feanor’s sons have in part inherited his ability for spectacle. They know how to conduct themselves when the world is watching. That I suppose is natural when you are raised to be sons of the king."

Sometimes Feanorians make me wonder what is truly existent and what is not.

*Goes off to add you to her favourite authors list...*
Klose chapter 1 . 5/4/2003
*grumbles about having to log in* ;)

What can I say? It's got your usual simplistic flair. And it's narrated by Fingon. (Though I won't deny it took me a while to figure out, and made me a bit confused for a while) *grin*

The image of the Mighty Noldor holding hands and singing songs is most disturbing however (and not just because I'm suddenly imagining them with tie-dye shirts and mood rings and- I think I'll stop here now).

Was particularly stricken by the part where the mom accused Maedhros of lying though. Very nice. :)
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
Have I put you on my favorite authors list yet? Well, I will now. You made me gasp out loud with this story. Maedhros is so Maedhros...and just when I was thinking people are bored with the Maedhros/Fingon relationship you tell it in a way that's both completely familiar and very new.
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 5/3/2003
"They say Morgoth made Orcs by twisting elves with suffering. Now our own suffering has made my people think like orcs."

"They are a Feanorian illusion, for all Feanor’s sons have in part inherited his ability for spectacle. They know how to conduct themselves when the world is watching."

Now, really, this second quote is my favourite. In the end, it's all about illusion, and spectacle. It is strange to see that someone has put this thought of mine in words so exactly. This ability of the Fëanarioni is so well demonstrated in the first part of the story, the... the *theatricality* (not a word) of Maedhros' appearence... perfect. Just perfect. (again)

What more can I say? I don't know.

I bow to you.

(will we see more of that Maeglin story soon? - greedy me.)
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 5/2/2003
You just don't stop, do you? One fantastic story after another; you make it seem effortless! Needless to say, I loved this one. Fingon's residual bitterness is so realistic, and I shivered at the transformation you show his people undergoing when Maedhros interrupts their festival. Forgiveness is indeed a hard thing to achieve, but that's one of the reasons it is so precious.