Reviews for Journeys Back are Always Longer
legendswillneverdie54 chapter 1 . 9/27/2019
This gave me such bittersweet feelings. I love it.
SoloMoon chapter 1 . 8/29/2019
I love the complex dissonance of this story, how it's so frustrating and so sad for everything they've been through.
MoonClaimed chapter 1 . 7/3/2019
Very interesting idea. I really enjoyed this.
mountainelements chapter 1 . 6/15/2019
Wow. This is a pretty novel idea. I don't think I've ever seen this outside of Narnia. You fit a lot of implications into a short story, and it works. Thanks for posting this!
MuffinLance chapter 1 . 6/15/2019
This was beautiful. I did not expect to wake up this morning and read a thing and have my heart hurt from the inside out, but here we are.

The premise is fantastic: unique in the Avatar fandom, and super under-explored in the fantasy genre at large. Switch up the names and anything that could get you sued and you could sell this to a pro mag. I'm serious. Fantastic deconstruction of the kids-go-on-magical-adventure-in-another-world trope.

Seeing him leave Azula behind at his father's based upon things she'd done in another lifetime hurt. Ty Lee's sisters maybe-not remembering hurt. These were wonderfully opposed hurts; good job shifting the literary knife to stab my kidney /and/ my spleen.

Oh man, the family they left behind, and the thought that Mai might forever compare and kids she has in this world to the ones in the other, and forever feel the disconnect.

Toph. Oh oh Toph. Maybe she needs it to be a dream or a mass hallucination because she just went from a world where she was a badass bender at the top of her field to being a little blind girl as useless as her parents have always said. A world she /can't see/ in. Losing her bending would be a lot more severe for her than for the others.

"They had the memories, but they were only hollowthank you, you just twisted a knife in my left lung, too. S'okay, I have two.

This story. This story is everything I love and everything I didn't know I needed to love and /it hurts/. And I'm just going to go ahead and savior this pain for awhile, so thank you.