Reviews for Fault Lines
counselorofcabinsix chapter 1 . 3/10
GODS why am I crying?
Mikaelus chapter 1 . 2/8/2020
FAULT LINES — REVIEW
So I know I complained in an earlier review that there wasn’t enough action in these Scott and Hope fanfictions… but I don’t think this was the answer. Okay, let’s backtrack a little.
I realize that these fanfictions are meant to be centred around romance and family, as a lot of fanfics are. But I repeat now what I’ve said before; we fell in love with these characters in the Marvel movies, which typically feature a lot of action. And while I do want things to work out for Scott and Hope, I don’t want them to stop having their wild adventures in the process.
Now that I think about it, that might be one more reason that I love Cassie Lang: Matchmaker but don’t think as highly of Baby Bumble and A Very Merry Lang-Van Dyne Christmas. Cassie Lang wasn’t ONE story, but multiple spread out across the years. Yes, they were largely focused on the relationship, but one could fill in the blanks and assume Ant-Man and the Wasp were still at work behind (or should I say between) the scenes. But Baby Bumble and A Very Merry Lang-Van Dyne Christmas were both so confined to a day or two that it wasn’t as easy to imagine the other days of Scott and Hope’s lives being more adventurous.
So given my apparent love of the action in Marvel, no doubt you think Fault Lines is right up my alley. In a sense, it is — but maybe too far. If one end of the alley is too much fluff and not enough action, then this story is at the extreme opposite end; too much action, not enough fluff. Let’s take a look.
I’ll give credit that the story is well-told; f-romanoff-13 once again demonstrates their descriptive ability when depicting the chaos our heroes are living through when the quakes hit. You can feel the terror and isolation of the moment, like you’re the one trapped in this house that seems like it’ll collapse any second.
After all the other reviews I’ve written, it’s almost meaningless to point out the author’s ability to write these characters faithfully to the movies they’re based on. I have no problem picturing Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lily and Abby Ryder Fortson doing what they do and saying what they say in this story.
I’ll even grant that Fault Lines does earn its thematic categorization of “Family”, as Hope is prepared to protect Cassie to her own death, and that shows here.
However, I don’t know if it went as far as it could, or should, have. Cassie does show appreciation for Hope’s actions, but no one else really does. Scott gets a pass because he’s the boyfriend — it’s understood — but I’d have at least expected Maggie to be nothing but grateful to Hope for what she did. Maybe I’m just having flashbacks to Mrs Weasley repeatedly thanking Harry Potter for saving her family’s lives, but I can’t help but think this was a wonderful opportunity to bring Scott’s family and Hope closer together — which would have added to this story’s thematic focus on family. In other words, Cassie isn’t the entirety of Scott’s family that Hope should bond with; she’s only one step.
Opportunities aren’t the only things missing from this, though. Probably the biggest problem I have to point out is the lack of character in the action this story is centered around, though I’m not sure if f-romanoff-13 can be blamed for this. Whether in the movies or in these fanfictions, Hope is level-headed, logical, and no-nonsense in a crisis — and that’s fine, but it doesn’t allow for her to be very interesting. Disaster strikes, and she reacts with the cold efficiency of a machine; admirable, but not engrossing. That’s probably why, in the movies, she’s always partnered up with Scott, if not all the Avengers; to be the straight man to bounce others’ less conventional antics off of. But because Hope is on her own here (and not even as the Wasp), most of this fanfic is spent reading about what’s happening, not how the characters are feeling about it. When the focus returns to Hope caring for Cassie, that is where this story shines. But unfortunately, that isn’t very often.
The only other thing I can complain about is the tacked-on ending. Thematically, it barely ties to the story’s theme; we’ve gone from family to romance on the turn of a dime. It’s almost as if the author guessed that we came here expecting a Scott and Hope romance, and desperately tried to tide us over at the last minute. Hard as it is for me to say, I think I actually preferred the “Hope moves in with Scott” segment of Cassie Lang: Matchmaker to this one — at least that struck a balance between familial and romantic love.
So, with my more specific critiques out of the way, what are my overall thoughts? Fault Lines isn’t bad — but it’s not great, either. It falls squarely into a ranking I can only call “harmless”; it doesn’t bet it all and lose everything, but it doesn’t reap the successes of risk, either. I don’t mind giving this a read once in a while, but I come back to this one significantly less than most of the others. I can’t recommend it when the author has published such better works, from Cassie Lang: Matchmaker… to the next f-romanoff-13 fanfic I’ll review. See you soon.
StardustOwl chapter 1 . 6/24/2019
I love this so much!
Justicerocks chapter 1 . 6/23/2019
Aw I loved this. It was so sweet.