Reviews for The Archeologist
liam1994 chapter 1 . 15h
Simply Brilliant
yadwigaeter chapter 1 . 5/13
Wonderful fic and really interesting Warding worldbuilding. Definitely one for recommending!
the last time chapter 11 . 4/29
I swear this must be the 10th time I’ve read this and it’s better every time, absolutely obsessed with harriet’s character and your world building?! *chefs kiss* also we love an oblivious gay moment g-d bless
kolroling chapter 10 . 4/17
I love your work. An enjoyable roller-coaster of emotions is experienced during me reading this fanfic.
oegap chapter 1 . 4/17
Have just read this story in one sitting and wanted to say it was a metaphorical page turner and an enjoyable read. And thank you for posting this story.
Gatalicious chapter 11 . 4/17
This was a fun story to read. Curse-breaking is an under-represented part of HP lore. The only other Curse Breaker story I've read that was remotely interesting was JBern's Bungle in the Jungle and its sequel, though that was more action-adventure.

Your writing style is definitely not the norm and it takes a moment to adjust to it. But I found it fine on the whole. I do agree that lots of people hammer on and on about showing versus telling, but I think it's because largely telling a story and making it engaging is much harder for a lot of people. Clearly you've found your style and more power to you for it.
poimeme90 chapter 3 . 4/15
nice chapter , little heavy with little dialogue but it kinda works. of course, it's kinda new form to me too, so forgive me if i have a few complaints. butoverall? pretty good, though we need to get into the plot now, or drama. then i realized that this is titled the archeologist, so making anymore plot which would be just revealing herslef as the dead daughter and killing voldemort would be quite dull indeed, at least with her stories of her work is fascinating with a little crossover with other fantasy genres
poimeme90 chapter 2 . 4/15
harriet is insane to take on mcgonagall like that and i love it!
poimeme90 chapter 1 . 4/15
where did she get the money to but a wand and potion? it was pretty vague lol but anyways im fascinated with your concept of yharnam
the desperate need of the British to act high & mighty - and belittle the "colonies" as if they still own it , like great britain didn't have their misogynistic practices

"originally been a kind of punishment in some distant part of India, designed to completely remove a woman's ability to have children. Considering that that particular area had at the time been of the belief that having children was a woman's entire purpose in life"
jissymilissy chapter 11 . 4/14
What a ride! I really love it! Thank you for your hard work.
DaSalvatore chapter 11 . 4/13
I'm absolutely not surprised to read that "Jamie Evans Fate's Fool" helped inspire this story.

This was a good read, but it had much more a "slice of life" feel to it than an adventure story with a Planned Plot. Not that that's a bad thing, more it keeps any tension to a minimum, if there is any to begin with.

I enjoyed reading about Harri even if I don't feel like I got to know her better in the last chapter than I had in the second or third. I think this is more a clash of your writing style being much more condusive to longer works while your writing skills/focus is more novella tales. It makes a somewhat mental disconnect when reading.

And regarding the AN about reviews not being the place for criticism? A review is by definition a critique/evaluation of something. The good and the bad. So it's somewhat impossible to give a review without critiquing the work.
DaSalvatore chapter 3 . 4/13
It's strange and somewhat ironic that a chapter ending with the MC telling Hermione off for missing the forest through the trees includes an author's note defending the fact this is more a "tell" than "show" story.

Let me be clear:

1) I struggle to read stories that are almost entirely dialogue only despite many of them being on my fav list. This is due to the fact that unless the dialogue is perfect, I end up not really seeing any true "reality" to the story. Everyone ends up being a talking head until the action scenes.

2) I have no problems with heavy description based stories. An author can put a lot of emotions and character into such bulks of text, and that's not even talking about the lore that's shared.

So I say this with respect and understanding. While I am enjoying this story, it feels as though the balance to it is off, and it has nothing to do with flooding it with dialogue.

Take the previous chapter for instance. We never got any true "in the moment" scenes of Harriet exploring, fighting and learning about the cursed city. I think there were two mentions of fighting bad guys, the moment she's looking at the Cleric Beast and then watching Gherman's body breaking apart. Everything else was writing in your summary tone.

This chapter has more of them and show that you can do them. I think the problem is that your writing tends to go on long rambling tangents. Again, the previous chapter had Harriet going through her experiences on the island only to make a quick mention of the Potter disowning ritual and then a long ramble over her period, womb, and children.

It's the same in this chapter. You totally derail Luna's questioning after bringing it up to explain how Harry and Gin's relationship broke up and how he never cared about getting with anyone again. And once you got back to Luna? It was barely a footnote before continuing on.

It's all stream-of-consciousness "telling" rather than having any obvious structure and linearity to it and /that/ is where I feel the story falters.
NivMizzet6977 chapter 11 . 3/31
It's a bit tell-y over show-y but I enjoyed it from start to finish. Kudos.
AllyML chapter 1 . 3/29
This was terrific, really enjoyed it! It’d be great to see more in this world if you were so inclined in the future!