Reviews for Caged
MlleGigi chapter 2 . 6/22/2014
Interesting. It's been my opinion for quite a while now that Eowyn would have lived to regret it if her wish for Aragorn's love had been granted even if Arwen had never existed (I've heard that Arwen did not appear as a character in Tolkien's initial story outlines, which ended with Aragorn marrying Eowyn.). Not only would Eowyn eventually have chafed against the expectations of the Gondorian court - a court which would be based to some extent on Elven customs (and which would have suited Arwen more than Eowyn), since the kings of Gondor had Elves among their ancestors - there's also the little matter of Vidumavi. Vidumavi was the wife of one of the kings of Gondor, but she was from the people who later became the Rohirrim. Because she did not share her husband's ancestry, many of the people of Gondor were not willing to accept her son as king because they felt his bloodline was not pure. However, even without all these obstacles, Eowyn would have been required to give up too much of herself to become Aragorn's queen. The chances are that if she had continued to take care of her own horses, or chosen to ride without an escort, or continue to practice her battlefield skills, it would eventually have invited criticism. Although Tolkien never describes this in so many words, my theory is that he wanted us to see Eowyn coming to a realization of this of her own accord in the Houses of Healing (especially since she's left with little else to do but ruminate) - this is why she asks Faramir if he would be willing to endure potential criticism for choosing a "wild Shieldmaiden of the North." If the Steward would be criticized for taking such a woman as his wife, you can bet that the King definitely would be (although most people would not say it aloud).
FemaleSpock chapter 2 . 7/3/2012
This is a great AU- it makes so much sense that Eowyn would have felt like this had she ever actually got her wish to be Queen. Brilliant!
elanor of aquitania chapter 2 . 5/14/2012
This story feels even more true to LotR than the sequel 'Uncaged'.

Thank you for sharing.
BlackBerge chapter 2 . 3/10/2008
It makes sence that if Eowyn had married Aragorn she would have been very unhappy. It was never her place to be queen.
Rana Ninque chapter 2 . 9/7/2005
I've finally gotten a chance to read this story, after hearing about it for so long. I'm glad I did, but I wish I had read it sooner! This was an amazingly well written story, and I can't wait to see more about it in Uncaged (Faramir and Eowyn?)

I also wanted to add the note that I am a HUGE fan of your emyn-arnen. I think that it must be the best site on the entire web (awesome name, too. I wish I had thought something like that up :-)). I really like how you have everything, stories, digital art, videos, essays &c, on there. Since I don't really care as much about the other characters-though of course I like them-emyn-arnen is pretty much the ideal website. THANKS FOR DOING IT!

Love,

Rana
Nadja Lee chapter 2 . 11/10/2004
I saw Mel's video "Hunter" which was inspired by this fic and since the songvid is amazing I thought I'll read it.

It's a great fic. I can see this happening if Arwen had left. I'll go read part 2 now...
Daughter of Olorin chapter 2 . 7/29/2004
Very interesting idea for an AU story. I would love to have seen it fleshed out much more. (I’ll be reading Uncaged next). I never thought about it, but I can definitely agree as to why Eowyn would never been happy as the Queen. At least she understands what takes Aragorn away even though she wishes different. Do you think this would have been the same if he did love her instead of pined for Arwen? I can see her feeling like she was used for an heir but I can’t even imagine her having no love for her own child since she speaks so much of her love for her people, the child being a part of her. Anyhow, excellent work!
Vane Alasse chapter 2 . 6/9/2004
This is stunning! A masterpiece! Fantastically written, with every character brilliantly portrayed. Three cheers to Fine Eyes! And another three!

You have done such a magnificent job with this story...I usually don't read "what if" stories, but this one stood out, and I'm so glad I opened it!

Bravo!

~Vané Alasse
ally chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
Wow! Angst galore! Great story! Need more stories of Eowyn as an unhappy queen!
Kaz chapter 2 . 4/4/2004
Wow what a brilliantly written tragic fic.
It really shows just what would have happened if Arwen had left although guess thats more a LOTR film plot still really interesting and i particually loved the little bit where Aragorn was singing the Lay of Luthien that was particually sad and moving.
Looking forward to part two. Gosh I wonder who could uncage Eowyn hm let me think ;o) woops
Love Kaz
Mallorn Took chapter 2 . 1/18/2004
quite sad. one really must pity Eowyn...
Mallorn Took chapter 1 . 1/18/2004
this is just so wonderfully depressingly tragic. Aragorn and Eowyn could never truly be together. v. realistic, precisely what I would have imagined would happen if they had wed. beautiful writing.
lurker2209 chapter 3 . 10/20/2003
So...are you still planning on writing a sequel...I'd love to read it!
Skyler VonDetton chapter 3 . 8/14/2003
Wow, I love it! The way you dicribed it all, v. cool. Can't wait for the sequel!
Caged' Fan chapter 1 . 7/22/2003
I liked this story a lot, and it goes to show that Eowyn and Aragorn would probably not have been a happy couple. They are too much alike. Faramir and Eowyn balance each other. This is hauntingly realistic and, more than ever, reaffirms my faith that Aragorn and Eowyn belong with Arwen and Faramir. That's where the true love is. Thank you for this story.