Reviews for A Crow From Afar
jadevoid chapter 41 . 6/12/2021
When it became clear that this HP fic was of the nature where muggle technology can rival and even outdo magic, I almost quit reading (having never enjoyed fics of that sort in the past). But I very much liked the introduction of this twin sister of Harry's and the initial premise of her character (the prophecy, and the resulting abandonment), so I pushed on... and oh how glad I am that I did. For this turned out to be one of the most engrossing fics that I have read.

For one, Anya and her rather special 'foster family', as well as the things she went through in that kind of childhood. I love how, with an unembellished fashion, you manage to evoke that aspect of family - siblinglike bonds between the child Spooks, and the stoic presence of these older 'parental' Spooks. Despite all the violence and wrongness that is part of them and their lives, this side of their humanity never fails to peek through. And I swear, the scene where Anya, in the midst of that horror of human butchery and gas and surrounded by watching adult Spooks, walks to hug that boy in the cage... it touched me like few things have in all the fiction I've read. I'd say this story would have been worth reading just for that, sad as the scene was.

Regarding Anya... I like fem!Harry stories - or stories with a female Potter sibling, as is the case here - and Anya is very likeable. The evolvement from an innocent-looking girl spy into a more conventionally dangerous girl Spook among the family was great. The trials set for her (and her sibling Spooks) - the wandless magic in the cold, especially - added depth and immersion to this. And of course, her dead eye becoming a magical eye courtesy of the elder Spooks and helping her become a master sniper was just awesome.

A similarity between Voldemort and the start-of-fic Anya occurred to me: much like Voldemort, who names his Death Eaters his real family, so did Anya consider her group of Spooks her real family, caring essentially nothing about Harry or the Potter name. With her childhood, this is a natural thing for her to feel, and I liked it. She has changed from that a bit... but I do hope that she won't be changing too much, that she will always remain a Spook, both in life and in spirit. Judging by her casual attitude to killing Auror Hill with a grenade, she has remained so (at least so far). Though perhaps that death can be partly attributed to the curiosity kills the cat principle; auror or not, you just don't hound Anya...

You really did well when it comes to the muggle technology and weapons element in the story. Not setting it as magical warfare versus muggle warfare but instead having a party or parties who mingle them is a major part of it, I think. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the Vergilius storyline, given that it is the most removed from canon. It provides groundwork on the elaborations you give on magical improvement of muggle weaponry elsewhere in the fic, but it also serves as a bit chilling backdrop to the rest of the story, the buildup concerning the weaponry development in the past working well with the progression of present events. And of course it fleshes out Russia nicely as well.

Aside from all of that, there's so much I liked in this fic... The initial convergences with the HP canon - the Gringotts letter as well as Anya's little mission in the Quidditch World Cup site. Both of those were well done. Astoria's acclimatisation to the muggle world, her friendship with Anya and her growing affiliation with Grey's Spooks. The staple camaraderie between Anya, Dimitri and Jen in each of their missions. My favourite the graveyard. I recall that you had looked forward to writing that scene, and I think I felt that. Voldemort having his head explode from an esoterically improved bullet and then toppling to the ground was absolutely glorious, and the added tinge of hilarity brought by the imagery made it even better :). I hope it takes a long time for him to figure it out, if ever. Anya's emotion as she made the shot was very nice as well.

There are many things to look forward to as well. How far will Dumbledore (who evidently learned nothing from the first instance of being led along by the prophecy) go to keep the twins apart, and to what extent (if any) will he succeed? The Bridge Club was a clever idea, and if Slughorn comes to Hogwarts next school year, it'll be interesting to see what he will make of Anya... and perhaps Astoria - if he takes note of her too. Harry just got a reminder that Anya is not a typical little sis - just what will happen in that angle, and how will it all affect him? The fallout of that British Auror dying, given that said Auror wasn't even supposed to be there. The Order's thoughts about the 'three unknowns' when Tonks reports to them - Anya's confidence regarding the grenade explosion being taken for a spell gave me a bad feeling...

It appears that the mayhem caused by the 'Black Mark' in this fresh event has reached the level of Voldemort and his Death Eaters, and I wonder if Voldemort will become annoyed as the shenanigans of the Russians continue. After all, as an egoistical dark lord, when there's mayhem, he's supposed to be behind it.

Many thanks for writing this story, and I hope you won't get tired of it or Anya any time soon. I do like her so, and will definitely be sticking along for the rest of her journey, however much it'll be.
RedShirt1453 chapter 41 . 6/5/2021
Cool
JohnMonty chapter 41 . 6/5/2021
Great chapter! Always A pleasure reading Anya kicking some ass, even if its British Auror ass. Seems like Vergilius is up to no good. So this Vergilius guy, is he allied with the reds fighting against the Russian pureblood families ruling Russia? Is it Anya's team that's fighting under the whites pureblood banner for control of Russia? That Vergilius guy must've been the onw to kidnap the SAS and probably went about smuggling the Russian death-row prisoners into Edinburgh. The fanfics has so many twists and turns, you don't know who's coming or going. It's great and irritating at the same time! I hope there will be an overview dumbed down in the next chapter of which faction has been up to so I'm more in the know and is easier understandable. Great fanfic, looking forward to reading more! Update soon!
Guest chapter 41 . 6/5/2021
This is by far my favorite story! I loved the fight between Dimitri, Jen, Anya, Tonks, and Hill! I hope you update soon!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/5/2021
harry has no sister shit story
kpop1392as chapter 39 . 5/15/2021
Ooo well played Astoria and Harry xD I enjoyed reading this chapter
RedShirt1453 chapter 39 . 4/27/2021
Finally caught up with this story after a binge. Got to say that I really like it. This whole mixture of muggle tech and magic to conduct wetworks is really cool. Anya is a great character and so is Astoria. With that said there are only a few issues I have with this story.

One issue is how Anya and Harry interact. From the beginning the reader learns that Anya's main purpose at Hogwarts is to get access to the Potter vault and get her share of the money. Very reasonable thing to do considering her mercenary background. Except when she finally reveals this information to Harry he seems to ignore it while fretting like a dog being left at home. Getting the OWLS is Anya's main plot while everything else is a side plot or a developing one. This being said it makes little sense for Anya to get involved with anything else as it risks her goal. Joining the triwizard tournament, not obliviating Harry once he knows the truth, and joining the DA are all incredibly risky and rather put the mission in jeopardy. Dumbledore has even offered her an out and all she needs to do is make deal with him so she passes her OWLS and she is free. Everything else Is a side adventure which risks everything and is not at all professional.
RedShirt1453 chapter 36 . 4/27/2021
Anya joining the DA would be incredibly stupid on her part. It basically puts her out of neutrality and into the attention she shouldn't have on her. Her goal is to pass her OWLS get the Potter money and return to her people/family. Doing literally anything else and getting involved with Harry and this whole Voldemort thing puts everything at risk. It just doesn't fit in with her whole mercenary personality.
RedShirt1453 chapter 35 . 4/27/2021
The whole drug addiction is a rather fresh trait being used for a character.
RedShirt1453 chapter 33 . 4/27/2021
Harry going deep dive into being a stalker
RedShirt1453 chapter 25 . 4/26/2021
Lol she just flat out broke Harry with the reason why she is there. He took rather well all things considered. His long lost sister returns but not for him, she wants those dollar dollar bills yo! You know after dealing with the Dursleys as his only family for so long im surprised that he hasn't had whiplash and thrown Anya into the same box as them, users and abusers.

God Astoria and Anya work so well! How is it that Astoria even ended up with a disappointment like Draco. Such a waste.
RedShirt1453 chapter 22 . 4/26/2021
Why not do Astoria and Anya as the ship? The two have great chemistry and are already developed. The other ships for Anya just seem so out of place.
RedShirt1453 chapter 16 . 4/26/2021
I love Astoria in this story she reminds me so much of another Astoria in a fic I can't recall the name of. Basically Astoria learns that muggles have gone to space and attempts to build a Wizarding rocket. She ends up blowing the Shrieking Shack to high hell much to the dismay of a distraught Remus Lupin who yells out loud to the rest of the onlooking Hogwartians "My shack!"
RedShirt1453 chapter 15 . 4/26/2021
Noooo Anya! Don't be stupid by listening to Harry! Blood is not family, family is the people you choose. Harry is a dumb idiot who acts on emotion, he is to stupid for her to even trust in. Obliviate his memory and be done with the fool or kill him and seize the Potter vault in full.
RedShirt1453 chapter 14 . 4/26/2021
Once again Harry gets the credit for the work of others.
116 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »