Reviews for At The Sammath Naur
Isabelf Drottning chapter 1 . 1/29/2012
This is the single best destroy-the-ring fic I have ever seen. The only thing wrong is that frodo never thought the two most important words.

MY PRECIOUS!

Really though, this bowls me over. I think this is the best fic I have yet read for lotr anywhere. (Mirkwood solstice is the other contender)
ms chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
I've got nothing else to say except that this was bloody brilliant.
andaere chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
Wow. This is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. It is a work of art that is rarely seen in fanfiction nowadays, rarely seen /ever/. I can tell that you're a true LOTR fan, with your grasp of... everything. And your writing style and descriptions are one-of-a-kind. I loved the part where Frodo puts on the Ring and becomes everything, where he finds out that he was meant to be a sacrifice and accepts that he will die. I always wondered how Frodo felt when he wakes up and /isn't/ dead - whether he regretted being alive. I think part of him did, because he had to go to the West to get healing.

Anyways, this is a masterpiece. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)
Lamiel chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
Oh my word. Thundera Tiger recommended this story to me and I am so glad that she did. It is rare to find a work of such scope, depth and poetry as this vignette. I am particularly struck by Frodo's perceptions after he claims the Ring - feeling himself in that moment to be actually one with everything is both a stunning feat of description and also a very effective method of making him aware of his friends' circumstances and ultimately of Gandalf's survival and his betrayal. And bringing the tale back full circle to the opening words is just brilliant. I will have to return and re-read this many times, I think, to fully appreciate all the nuances you have woven in here. This is beautiful work. Thank you.
Leia Wood aka Cascadia chapter 1 . 7/3/2004
A beautiful and eloquent exploration of Frodo's inner struggle at the edge of the chasm! A work of art!

~Leia
Evil Lemon Tree chapter 1 . 12/27/2003
OOh, I like! I like very much. Very powerful. You're not Frodo in disguise, are you?
Lily99 chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
It has been such a long time since a piece of fanfiction has driven me to tears.

Yours has done so.

~

Your depiction of Frodo's view of the Ring, how it has melded into his very soul, it's dreadful melody that beguiles yet revolts him...

very masterfully done.

Off to read "Son of Drogo."
Inwitari chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
OME! Wonderful, painful, beautiful! You are a gifted writer!
Trust No One chapter 1 . 5/24/2003
So you wrote your piece about Frodo at the Cracks of Doom after all!...

WOW! Were you THERE?

And to think that you gave me a good review for my Frodo fic! I am honoured, coming from someone of your talent! I hope you don't waste all this talent and you become a professional writer,if you are not one already lol. You have a way with words that is simply exquisite and heart-wrenching at the same time. This fic really completes "Son of Drogo"! Thanks!
Firiel-Earth'sDaughter chapter 1 . 5/23/2003
Firstly I just want to thank you for the really thoughtful and lovely review you posted of my story a little while ago :-)

And now to business! I coundn't take my eyes off the screen from the moment i started this fic. Its utterly awazing. You really have an amazing talent of making words leap off the page!

But above all this passage:

"I am the sacrifice that Good demands before it will vanquish Evil. I am the blood that must be spilled before the world is healed. I am the tears that must be wept before joy can find its place in a world torn and broken. I am the body that must be shattered, its blood spewed across the foul lands to cleanse it in shades of crimson."

Its utterly amazing. I'm no literary critic so I can't describe the effect it had on me very well in words... but just wow! Its almost Biblical... in fact it evokes strongly a particular piece of the New Testament - which is appriopriate i reckon in view of the religious overtones of this scene in the any case your phrasing is truly poetic.

I could write a lot more, this is such a great piece but i'll reluctantly confine myself to this cos my dad wants to use his computer now!

Amazing, amazing, amazing! plez write more soon! :-)
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 1 . 5/22/2003
You make me cry with the power and beauty of the imagery.
Ancalime8301 chapter 1 . 5/21/2003
Ach! You're killing me with words here!

Wow. I must say I'm *very* impressed by this piece! So chilling, so well-written... I liked how you put in those bits from the book there near the end. And there were *so* many lines that really impressed me, like:

-"He floated into the Sammath Naur on torn feet and trembling legs"

-"He found he was not surprised by the loss of his senses – after all, It had taken everything else."

-"craven lust at war with weary righteousness"

-"He felt the last of his will conquered and suborned and flung shrieking against the confines of his mind as it died a pitiful death at the feet of his tormentor and savior."

I also really liked how he became all of those things when he put the Ring on-it was a very dramatic, impressive idea. And the way you ended it by echoing the beginning was very effective.

I really loved this-very powerful. :)
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
Whoops, sorry, I forgot to sign that last review. This is "Rose" of Gypsie Rose.
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
I enjoyed that very much! I felt somewhat let down that Tolkien rushed through this sequence so fast in the book, so I like seeing fanfiction treatments that give it the weight it deserves. I especially liked the part where Frodo claims the Ring and feels at one with everything. Very powerful!
RachelStonebreaker chapter 1 . 5/19/2003
My oh my! That was a wonderfully weighty work. Quite a lot of emotion packed into a small piece.

You've got some poetic word choices ~ evococotive and descriptive (emerald, screeching, wailing... very powerful where you put them). I'd change the line with "penance" because I think it's too modern (after all JRRT never gave the Hobbit religion) but then I'm trying to find SOMETHING to pick on so I can call this a valuable review... ;-)

Interesting how you had Fro "be" his friends in their "last hours". I can see that happening if he did indeed become all-powerful. It makes sense.

Thanks for the alert on this one, and though you said you didn't beat up Frodo on this one I'll give you extra angst points!