Reviews for What Would Have Happened
thunderbird shadow chapter 3 . 12/10/2019
Another excellent story
thunderbird shadow chapter 2 . 12/10/2019
Well that mucked up for Ed.
Scarlett Cash chapter 3 . 12/9/2019
Hello! I just gotta tell you that this chapter really spoke to me! I felt a little like I was in church! So thank you for allowing God to speak through your writing. I never expected to read a fanfic and feel God moving in me, so to have experienced it is pretty awesome!
WillowDryad chapter 3 . 12/9/2019
This is just lovely. Such a wonderful exchange there at the end. Edmund's, "You would have won." And Aslan's timeless, "I have won." Beautiful.

And so many wonderful little touches throughout, like "close enough that Edmund could reach out and touch them if he wanted." I can just imagine Edmund not needing to touch them but being comforted knowing he could if he wanted.

Really nice. Well done.
Anonymousme chapter 3 . 12/8/2019
We-e-e-ll...the Witch wasn't exactly a nice person, and it's completely possible that many of the statues in her castle grounds had no more family, or their family was frozen with them, or whatever. Perhaps somebody would be turned to stone and their family would also be turned to stone later, perhaps even years later for something else (and possibly killed as well, partially). Or perhaps part of the family was involved in something she wasn't in the mood to tolerate at the time, and so some got killed and some got turned to stone, but all the family was done in. Or perhaps she turned the whole family to stone. There was a story, somewhere, that I read, where Jadis was torturing a Faun to make him talk about the Resistance by killing and turning his family to stone, after torture didn't work. (How it ended: all his other (immediate) family had been petrified already when he wouldn't talk, and only his youngest daughter was left. The Ogre holding her accidentally snapped her neck, the Faun gave a cry, and Jadis was enraged, because her last...motivational...piece to make him talk was gone. She killed the Ogre and turned the Faun to stone.) I'm going to look for it...I think it was somewhere in the profile of one of my favorite authors... The REM sleep thing...I remember one I fell asleep in church (don't flame me...I was little) and it felt like I literally blinked and church was over, I was in that deep of a sleep. But I'm sure there were some people in that exact situation as you described...you bring up a good point that I never thought of before...and well, I guess they would just have to get used to it. On the bright side, their lives just got extended in a way by however long they were in stone...sort of. Well, I look forward to your next story (I'm convinced that this isn't your last) and Keep writing!

P.S.: Do check those stories out!
BellatrixTheStar chapter 3 . 12/6/2019
I love this chapter! I think you did a brilliant job of reconciling scripture and story, though, we must always remember that an anecdote never fully encompasses the truth. I think you did great at holding to the ‘I never tell anyone what could’ve happened’ rule yet still making it interesting Will we get to see the solution to the Mountain Dwarf problem? I’m excited to see how he’ll temper justice with mercy and compassion!
SouthwestExpat chapter 3 . 12/6/2019
I had not thought through the implications of being stone... grandchildren at 25...that would be very odd indeed...hmmm...another fanfic?

Even when he's not sinning, when he's doing the right thing, Edmund can't win. Being good, even sacrificially good, isn't enoughwith might of ours can naught be done/Soon were our loss effected"

It takes Goodness itself, the fount of all goodness and love to overcome evil. And even though this mess is our fault, He has overcome itHe has wonno matter the cost to Himself.

This was a weighty story, and the ending was absolutely fitting. Having tea with his siblings (and the race to the kitchen) lightened the weight without destroying the mood, which is difficult to do (in my experience). Then Peter's care for Edmund, showing Edmund was not alone in wanting to change the past, while not light or funny, kept it balanced, keeping Edmund from sinking furtherPeter won't repeat his mistakes either.

Then the golden presence of the One who made it all possible, who conquered so that even Death could not hold Him, telling Edmund how far he should let his suppositions gono one is ever told what would have happened. What do we know? He HAS won. And that is truly, all we need to know.

And this story, in all its weight and angst reminds me that that is as true in our world as in Narnia. Thank you for writing this!
Anonymousme chapter 2 . 12/5/2019
I don't think that the statues were aware of time, or at least not very much - Giant Rumblebuffin when first awoken mumbles, snorts, and basically turned in a circle asking, ' ''Where's that dratted little Witch? Somewhere down by my feet She was.'' ' so I don't think he was very aware of much. Of course, he was a Giant, and therefore rather dim-witted, (Tumnus to Lucy, shortly after being unstoned, on the subject of Giants and especially the Buffins: ''Not very clever, perhaps, (I never knew a Giant that was),'') and he goes on to say that they [the Buffins] were a very old, good, honorable and respected Giant family. Quotes are from memory and may not be exact.) but I think that neither he nor any of the other statues were very aware, if at all. Some have written it as being thought of by the Narnians as a ''stone prison'', the worst that could be, being neither dead nor alive, trapped forever in a nothingness impossible to get out of that the person trapped wouldn't even be conscious of, because they, essentially, would have ceased to exist, being neither in their world nor in Aslan's country. I personally think this one much more likely, but I like to think that opinions differed, as they always do, with some thinking that when a person was turned to stone they died, and either went to Aslan's Country or to wherever they go when they are dead and not in His Country. Tash's Hell, maybe. No, I'm not swearing. Call it Hades (which was the name of a Greek god and not a place so...) or the Lake of Fire or whatever, but you know what I mean. I also think that the Witch could have unstoned the stone statues if She wanted, but that is open to debate since it's never mentioned anywhere. Do you think that the statues aged? I mean, a stone figure doesn't change, so...they probably didn't, and when Aslan freed them they probably were the exact same age as when they were first petrified. Also, it works for this chapter, but according to canon, at least in the book, (I don't know about the movie), Mr. Tumnus told Lucy about the Witch and the Winter and the Spring, (was it after the first or second visit that Lu came back to her unbelieving siblings talking about how the White Witch had made it always Winter and never Christmas and turned people to stone with Her wand? I don't remember.) and so here, in Edmund's reliving of his first trip to Narnia, Lucy would already know about the Witch and would have recognized Her from Tumnus' descriptions, since it would have been Lucy's second trip and she would have learned about Jadis either on the first trip or the second one. I think it was the first trip. But I'll accept a slight AU here, I don't mind. Wonderful chapter! Update soon and keep writing!

P.S. 1: You know what really, really, REALLY grits my cheese? When people write Aslan as less than He is. When He speaks wrong, when He isn't all knowing, when He ''has ideas'', etc...don't get me started. I would like to shout out a giant THANK YOU to you for depicting him in as He is in His glory. Far, far too many authors don't. Thank you.

P.S. 2: I can agree with you on the Father Christmas thing. And on the Peter one as well. You're right - Peter would hate it every step of the way, but if he had to choose between, say, retreating to save his troops to fight another day or advancing and causing them to die in an attempt to save one or more of his siblings (in a hypothetical situation where they were prisoners or being taken prisoner in battle), he would retreat, even if he was completely numb and in shock and needed help. If he was REALLY out of it, Oreius would get him out and call the retreat himself, or one of the other high-ranking officers. And if his siblings somehow fell away from Aslan and told him that they would reject him if he didn't come with them, he would hate that he had to make the choice, but he would choose Aslan, every time. Also, you strike the balance very well, and I like it. Hang in there!

P.S. 3: Check out the stories I recommended! Unless you've already read them, of course. Also, I recommend the story Yggdrasil, by Sapphire Warrioress, and her other stories as well. Keep reading and keep writing!

Hoping I haven't bored you, Anonymousme
Calyn chapter 2 . 12/4/2019
"How am I supposed to live with this?"

I don't know, Edmund. I don't know how anyone does live with it.

Edmund totally knew, just think of him talking to Eustace in VDT. "He's the great lion, who saved me and saved Narnia." As for the statues, they're definitely unaware: Rumblebuffin's first reaction on being unpetrified is to think he's been asleep and start looking around for the Witch who'd been running around by his feet.
BellatrixTheStar chapter 2 . 12/3/2019
Oooh! Groundhog Day style! To be honest, I prefer your version and wasn’t a big fan of the movie. I’m interested to see what happens next. Maybe Edmund will finally realise that there’s nothing he could’ve done to save everyone-only Aslan can. “There is no one righteous, not even one”
WillowDryad chapter 2 . 12/3/2019
Oh, poor Edmund. This is both harder and easier knowing what he knows. Well done. I don't think the statues knew anything. :)
SouthwestExpat chapter 2 . 12/3/2019
The interlude at Cair Paravel flowed much more smoothlyit was clear why the scene was changing.

Seeing Edmund's struggle highlights a difference between LWW and Passion Week. Jesus told His disciples over and over EXACTLY what was going to happen at Passover. And while it was to demonstrate His power and nothing happened He didn't already know about and allow, I wonder now if too, it introduced the truly incomprehensible idea that Almighty God died a horrible, shameful deathfor me! Perhaps in church we can begin to take the concept for granted and miss how tremendous it is. And this story helped remind me of that.

And the struggle of "if you could do it over"...I'm sure everyone reading this has run through "woulda coulda shoulda". Sometimes we think of ways if we had done the right thing, it would have all been fine. Reading this, I think we are more often than not deluding ourselves. It's one thing to confess sin and another to assume we could fix it all. Actually, that's probably it's own sinthe sun of pride, thinking we have it all under control...

My guess is the statues were aware of time passingbecause that would be far more miserable and so if Jadis could contrive it, that's how she would do it.
Anonymousme chapter 1 . 12/2/2019
Oh Lion! You...you...I'm going to explode! How...?

Poor Lucy. Poor Edmund. Poor all of them. Oh, this hurts. I...I'm sure this will all turn out all right in the end, right? It has to. If it goes wrong, Edmund can wake up and find out it was all a dream, right? Please?

I meant to recommend these earlier, but never did. It seems very appropriate to do so now. So two short stories to read: the first being the oneshot ''The Prince Cold-hearted'' by Lady Alambiel, and the second being a nine-chapter fic ''The Winter Prince'' by...um...I forget the name. Just type it into the search bar. Both are Edmund-winter-themed, and both are really good. And they hurt too, just like this.

Sigh... Update soon...please...
thunderbird shadow chapter 1 . 12/1/2019
Wow, this is great so far.
Scarlett Cash chapter 1 . 11/30/2019
I really like this and think it's a great idea! I'm looking forward to where you take it!