Reviews for Rainy Days
Mikaelus chapter 1 . 3/22/2020
I think my only regret about this series of reviews for f-romanoff-13’s Scott-Hope works is that it has to end (for the foreseeable future) with such a short one. This didn’t cross my mind when I decided to review these fanfics in the order they were posted (A Very Merry Lang-Van Dyne Christmas aside), but now, I’ve driven myself into a corner. Oh, well. What’s done is done; a short story begets a short review. And while it may not be a long one, it can still be a good one. Let’s do this one more time.
RAINY DAYS — REVIEW
Whenever I read Rainy Days, the words that come to mind are “sweet nothings” — and before anyone says anything, yes, I am acutely aware of what that means; affectionate words that lovers exchange. I am also aware that no such loving messages pass between Scott and Hope in this story — at least, not verbally. But as they say, actions often speak louder than words, and the actions in Rainy Days speak volumes.
Easily the real star of this fanfiction are the characters’ actions and reactions, and they’re just the most adorable thing in non-canon Marvel. In a nutshell, it breaks my heart to see Hope associate so much grief with rain when Scott has had so many good times in it, and it equally warms my heart to see him respond to that by kissing her in the middle of a downpour. The sentiment is lovely; Scott is doing more than just expressing his affection for Hope here — he’s giving her a moment that will, in the long run, make for fond memories.
And when you get down to it, a moment is all this story is meant to be. We’re not watching an entire relationship unfold over the course of years (like in another fanfiction that I can’t give enough praise), nor is it even one of its pivotal turning points, like the first “I love you”, or the marriage proposal; it’s just a few minutes between two people who are slowly but surely falling in love. In that way, Rainy Days stands out in this author’s collection of Scott-Hope fanfics.
I also have to, once again, give credit to the author for capturing both characters’ personalities to a T. Scott is carefree and playful as always, while Hope is more responsible, but still amicable.
And one last thing I actually find myself praising is something the author may not even have intended; its compatibility with certain other stories they’ve written. Let me explain; I’ve mentioned in the past how I personally consider Baby Bumble to be kind of a continuation of Cassie Lang: Matchmaker, and I don’t think anyone will argue when I say A Very Merry Lang-Van Dyne Christmas consequently takes place after both. Fault Lines and Hit & Run, on the other hand, don’t seem to fit into the established lore, especially since they’re clearly still somewhat early in the relationship; Matchmaker told a different story of how Hope came to live with Scott than Fault Lines did, and anyway, both Fault Lines and Hit & Run just seem too big and important to have been glossed over in Matchmaker.
Rainy Days’ small stakes and relative unimportance, though, make it easy to accept into this story universe. It really does feel like a secret chapter of Matchmaker, and I myself would place it somewhere between chapters one and three.
So by that logic, that’s an impressive four fanfictions that all take place in the same story universe. It’s like the author is writing not only their own individual stories, but their own series. Bravo!
But it wouldn’t be a real review if I didn’t find something to complain about just as I’ve praised others. And just like with the good stuff, this story is so short that there isn’t much to work with. The only flaw I can really point out is the same one I did in my last review (see Hit & Run); Scott’s dialogue. As he lists out all the things rain reminds him of, once again, he drones on a bit too long. Even that wouldn’t be such a problem if, again, he didn’t start too many sentences with the same word, this one “of”. So not only does he go on and on without Hope even asking him to, but his listing comes across as repetitive.
Were I in the author’s position, and the scene had to go this direction, it would be remedied a follows; when Scott says that rain reminds him of being a kid, and all the good times he had in it, Hope asks him about them, curious. His story time would play out much the same from there, but without the overuse of the word “of”. That way, the dialogue would come across less repetitive, though maybe a little more clichéd. From there, I would let the story play out much the way it does.
Which also means that that’s pretty much all the constructive criticism I can offer. This fanfic may not have the stakes or emotional weight that some of this author’s other works may have, but I don’t really think it’s meant to. As I’ve stated above, it’s just one moment out of many; we’re not meant to be blown away by a powerful act of true love, we’re supposed to be emotionally touched, and then move on. At that, it most certainly succeeds.
The last thing I can really say about this story, as well as all the others, is just how much the author puts of themselves into it. It’s clear that they care very much about this couple, and want to see things work out between them as much as I do in a future Marvel movie. But until then, they’ll just post their own renditions of how it could go, and take care to convey them in loving detail. With all the affectionate wording they invest into it, Rainy Days truly is a sweet nothing from f-romanoff-13 to the shipping of Scott and Hope.
And with that, I believe that’s my last review for this author’s Scott-Hope fanfictions, at least until they strike again. I would love to see more such works from them — heck, I have a few story ideas of my own that I might even send them. But until then, I feel like the only appropriate way to end this little adventure is with a top six list. From worst to best, here’s my ranking for this author’s Scott-Hope fanfics;
At number six is the ultimately tolerable Fault Lines.
Number five, it’s the largely pointless addition, Baby Bumble.
Number four is Rainy Days; low stakes and short, but sweet.
The number three spot belongs to A Very Merry Lang-Van Dyne Christmas, a nice holiday surprise.
Number two; the risk that paid off, Hit & Run.
And at number one… you knew this was coming; Cassie Lang: Matchmaker — the queen who has yet to be dethroned.
To anyone who’s been keeping up with my reviews — especially f-romanoff-13 — I hope you found them interesting or even helpful. For now, this is Mikaelus the Critic signing off.