Reviews for An Unexpected Honor
BrokenKestral chapter 32 . 3/9
And reality comes back again. Bracing and difficult, tiring and priceless.

And the last few lines made me smile.
wfpurpleyahoo chapter 31 . 3/4
This was the missing pieces in the show. Loves it.
BrokenKestral chapter 31 . 3/4
“but I fear my healer has called it most unwise.“ - good to see someone has sense!

“But they were very confused by what to do about the four turtles' shells.” I would be too.

Patience indeed.
BrokenKestral chapter 30 . 3/2
I laughed at Leo's dubbing Donnie "the traitor."

Oh, ugh. I've slept in a room with mosquitoes before. Or rather, DIDN'T sleep. I'd smother Mikey myself.

I'm kind of curious, can you read turtle lips? I don't remember (though I could be wrong!) them having much lip to read. Oh, look, you deal with that. :)

And then it feels like home. That was a heart-warming line.

And that is why family is often an anchor, holding us places we feel we don't fit into in the middle of some weather, but keeping us stable in all weathers.
BrokenKestral chapter 29 . 3/2
I like the Daimyo quite a lot. Wise and kind-I can see why he and Splinter are friends, for they share a kinship.

And he drives the point home with how Usagi saved the multiverse; it's an unarguable point.

It is a good teacher who finds something praiseworthy to praise even in defeat.

The reaction of the son's opponent reminds me - on Youtube there's a lecture, C.S. Lewis on the Necessity of Chivalry. It's about 10 minutes long, and very good. But he talks about how meekness and ferocity are needed, both to the nth degree, in true knights; in true warriors, ninja and samurai as well. And that is what the son's opponent did not have.

And that was a beautiful ending, and a wise father we ache for.
BrokenKestral chapter 28 . 2/28
And his sons have always been more honorable than my own.—It takes so much strength to say that truth after the loss; I am glad he had the courage to say it.

Oh, Mikey. I love your energetic self.

Raph, protecting all your family. Leo leads, but it is like Raph to notice if anyone is missing.
BrokenKestral chapter 27 . 2/24
I love your portrayal of Splinter, and his wisdom at the end.

And his passion for his sons, and him guarding them so carefully, but still wise enough to give them more freedom as they grew, facing his own fears as he allows them to face danger.
BrokenKestral chapter 26 . 2/18
Would I fit into your world well, do you think? - no, I am sad to say, but one of the wonderful things about family is they can give a place to fit in a world that doesn’t.

This was an honorable family. The father, Splinter-san, was famous among those from the multi-verse now here, a hero, a winner not only of a competition, but of the hearts of those who'd watched him and many who had fought him only three years ago. - I believe it’s been written that a prophet has honor everywhere but in his hometown; it happens to senseis as well.

Ah, thank you, Usagi for bringing back that memory to me." - it’s funny, that’s also a gift family often brings to each other.

It was only when I found my sons, I thought of something else, of the love shown to me first by a kind lady and then by a generous man. - So it often happens that to help someone else is to help oneself.

I understand climbing up through the kindnesses of the great and falling again with their deaths, and then having no place to go afterwards you belong to. - very, very well said.

Definitely looking forward to the next chapter! Prejudice—especially when born from experience—is a hard thing to overcome.
OmbreDesDieux chapter 25 . 2/11
Your writing is so eloquent. This story came into my life, just when I needed to hear it. For me the Turtles were-and always shall be- about family. And I hope to capture that feeling in my stories someday as elegantly as you have in yours.
BrokenKestral chapter 25 . 2/10
He had a certain rabbit he needed to talk alone to first. - Oh, Splinter. Leo got his loving of helping all good men from you, you know.

He wondered if Leonardo would be awake awaiting an answer when he joined them, or if the days events would catch up to his eldest as soon as Leonardo lay down. - Now I’m wondering the same thing...

He found his curiosity jumping out of his mouth before his decorum stopped it. - In other words, there’s times he would definitely get along well with Michelangelo.

“I didn't know what I was getting myself into at the time."
Usagi laughed a little, softly. "Indeed, I don't know how any who adopt four children at once fully can." - Here here

You characterized the four well as kids. :)

But … I am not a brother of his, Splinter san."
The rat raised his ears and eyebrows at this before replying. "He wants you to be." - Beautiful
BrokenKestral chapter 24 . 2/8
I loved seeing Splinter's wisdom here; it was lovely.

And I loved that they shared love of the same things.

The line that caught my heart, though, was, "Leo had grown to love a world he'd never seen a continent and ocean away." For the exiles and wanderers upon the earth, yes.

And the ending was very funny.
BrokenKestral chapter 23 . 2/5
That was a very sweet chapter ending.
BrokenKestral chapter 22 . 2/3
I think I'm looking forward to seeing Leo let loose. :) But I'm also a bit worried he'll be misunderstood, especially since he doesn't believe his friends take good care of him. :( Be careful, Leo, you're not the only one hurting here!
BrokenKestral chapter 21 . 2/2
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO US?! NOOOOOOO! Usagi!

Because of course he would push himself till he collapses and is probably poisoned. :( Poor Usagi

And I am so glad I did not yet have to live through Mickey’s speech!
BrokenKestral chapter 20 . 1/30
It makes me laugh, just how much Gennesuke makes Usagi do things he really doesn’t want to do—and how often those turn out to his good.