Reviews for An Encyclopedia of Sweets
Half-beastdragonsoul2013 chapter 11 . 4/4
Covid-19 ain't a joke for sure. This would definitely wipe out the FE multiverse what with their late-medieval tech.
MathAtMidnight chapter 11 . 4/2
It's good to see this back on its feet. That being said,

I'm not sure what to say about this. I think at this point the most powerful scene was the one in the last segment, where you can see the bond between Edelgard and Lysithea. It's strange that the game doesn't seem to focus on the bonds between her and her friends, instead focusing on her ambitions to overthrow the status quo. It's nice to see that again, despite her exterior appearance, she's still someone who yearns for human contact and can find a lot of commonality with someone. (Let's face it; Hubert isn't exactly the best emotional sounding board.)

It's also good to see that like any good commander or leader, your first duty is to your subordinates. This goes doubly for me as a teacher, and I can definitely agree that that sentiment is what pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; that sentiment also defines us, and perhaps also binds us. And before I go assimilating anyone, I should probably stop here. Cheers! I look forward to seeing how you will make this story diverge: there's so much potential in this arc, and not much was explored.
BrandedKing chapter 11 . 4/2
Woot! An update! The moment between Lysithea and Byleth, especially with Byleth's gift and Lys leaning on his shoulder is really sweet. And, I really like what you did with the Holy Tomb scene. The part with Edelgard revealing herself, instead of what happens in the game, is great and it fits better with what happens in the week prior to it. Also, Rhea reacting violently towards Byleth is really neat and certainly interesting.

The final scene with the BEs siding with Edelgard and having their bonds make them stay together is nice. I'm in the process of planning out a 3H Awakening crossover fic, and I'm doing something similar for the SS route, as it feels weird that all the BEs will side with Byleth.

The dialogue between Edie and Lys is handled really well and it's nice to see them draw comfort from one another.

And yeah, the virus has made everything hectic. All my uni classes are online and whilst it isn't that great, it does give me more time to work on my fics, even with the cabin fever.

Till next chapter, stay safe!
B0REDER chapter 10 . 3/8
Yes, I'm still here and I've been loving all the chapter updates. I believe Lysithea's jealousy (especially the way it's depicted here) is definitely in character. As a person who feels as though she always needs to be in control of things (given her lack of time and work ethic), it can be very worrying for her when there are variables out of her control. Especially with regards to matters she's inexperienced in such as relationships. As always, looking forward for more chapters!
MathAtMidnight chapter 10 . 3/7
Thank you; I have a nurse friend who does the same for me as well, so you're in good company. I'm sure one of these days I'll decide I've had enough and will try to rest, but that won't be for a while.

As for what you have so far, it's working well. We're up to the obligatory entrance of jealousy: something to be expected in any burgeoning relationship. It was nice that it was mentioned, but it did feel a little superficial-although I know you wanted to sow the seeds now to harvest in a few rounds (I mean chapters), perhaps you could have started it when you decided to act on the jealousy. Nevertheless, I appreciated the fact that you have decided to expound on this part of the story: these are the kinds of little veins in the material that you really want to develop and ensure that the flow of the story works well.

As always, I look forward to continuing. Cheers!
BrandedKing chapter 10 . 3/6
Another great chapter. The first scene shows the relationship between Lys and Edie, and shows that Edie has taken up the role as Lys’ older sister. It’s fitting, considering that she became overprotective of Lys.

And, yeah, it’s good that Edelgard approaches the other Black Eagle students about their dreams. Seems more fitting and makes more sense, rather than just dropping the major revelation in the Holy Tomb. Lys’ dreams makes a lot of sense, as the Crests have ruined not only her childhood, but any dreams of the future she’d’ve possibly had.

Seeing Lys be jealous is kinda weird, as I never expected Lys to be the jealous type. But, considering she’s also feisty and forceful in some of her supports, it does make sense, as to why she’d behave like that.

All in all, a great chapter.
MathAtMidnight chapter 9 . 2/29
Eh, I've given up on getting enough sleep. That can be reserved for the summer and the occasional break from work. That being said...

I can definitely tell that you've taken the imagery advice to heart: this feels a lot more vibrant than previous chapters. While I was reading, I was fully expecting to have the chapter just focus on Edelgard and Lysithea, but I can see why you decided to rope the entire group into the story. I'm not sure if this should be considered slow-paced: you identified that there was a shortcoming in the story, and you decided to rectify that. Nothing wrong with that.

Looking forward to seeing this move on. Cheers!
BrandedKing chapter 9 . 2/29
Hey! Another update! Yay! I greatly admire your ability to publish updates really fast.

Anyway, this is a really sweet chapter and shows how much Lysithea cares for Byleth. She wants to comfort him, but is unable to do so, as she fears what other people may think. But, it really is heart-warming to see Lys coax all the Black Eagles into baking a cake for the professor, even if they had mishaps along the way (Caspar juggling knives sends shivers down my spine). Also sweet to see that their efforts paid off and that they were able to make Byleth break out of his shell.

The ending itself is also sweet, with the two of them reading the diary and then Lysithea falling asleep on Byleth's shoulder. I also like how you added in two entries of your own making.

Before I post the review, you have a slight typo at:

"What will we do with all the kitchenware," Lysithea asked?. The question mark's been accidentally placed in the wrong spot. As a fellow writer, we all make this mistakes every now and then.

Till next time, keep up the good work.
BrandedKing chapter 8 . 2/23
Kinda late for the party, but I’ll leave a review here.

I’m really enjoying this story so far. Despite it being one of my favourite Byleth pairings in the game (did this in my first run of the game), the flow of the story is really good. I’m also enjoying how you’re characterising the cast, especially Edie and Lys.

It’s really great to see the sweet recipes at the start of each chapter, and honestly, I might try some of these out in the future.

But besides that, I’m really enjoying the story and am really interested to see where the story will go.

Will also drop that I really enjoyed reading Clarity and 100 Moments and that they’ve inspired me a lot in the works I do myself, as they are also based on my favourite Robin pairing.

All in all, keep up the good work.
Gazzyboe chapter 8 . 2/22
Wow this fic updates fast and I'm here for it! Lol

Story flows really well and looking forward to the rest of the plot.
MathAtMidnight chapter 8 . 2/22
I was actually going to review the previous chapter, but I fell asleep, and you posted this one. That being said...

So far I'm liking where this is going. I think overall the work could stand to use a little more detail in it, as the work seems a little light on imagery, but it's forgivable since you have the main story as a framing device. In the early chapters, what I enjoy most is that you have painted Byleth as also human as well, despite his status as an instructor. As a fellow educator myself, students have a tendency to forget that we too are human and have times where we let emotions take over and express them despite our best efforts. (Or at least that's what we've been programmed to think...)
Still, it's a little bold to have Byleth share his emotions so early, as normally that would be something that would be frowned upon professionally, but it works out all told.

I also appreciate you trying to marry the game mechanics into your work, by noting that Byleth's style leans more towards independent study as opposed to a general lecture style. Ideally it's something that educators would do, but alas, not every teacher can have fewer than 10 students in a class at once.

It's also somewhat refreshing to see Edelgard characterized the way that you do. Normally she's portrayed as ambitious and power-hungry, but it's easy to forget that she too in of the age where she is interested in men, and having her being Lysithea's confidant in her affections is something I would not have expected, but it's good to see her be a bit more relatable.

It's also interesting that you have each chapter open with something that could appear on a box of Betty Crocker. I enjoy learning the culinary arts, although baking is not something in my repertoire yet. Perhaps one of these days I'll experiment with actually creating these confections.

Anyway. Looking forward to seeing how this will turn out. Cheers!
2lazy2login chapter 3 . 2/18
Ah yes, my favourite house, the golden eagles.
B0REDER chapter 6 . 2/16
Another endearing chapter (or a bit more so), I'm really enjoying the story and the modified/additional scenes. That Goddess Tower scene redux was very sweet. I'm surprised this fic isn't more popular
B0REDER chapter 5 . 2/10
Keep it up! It's well written and any story with Bysithea is well worth reading. Looking forward to more chapters.
Mijumaruwott chapter 4 . 2/5
It’s very cute and pleasant to read.