Reviews for Promised Land
Lee DeG chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
This is a nice story, but once you mentioned Franz Kafka, a rather glaring plot error came out. The ship's passage is far, far too long.

When you give Franz Kafka a chance to get published, that moves the chronology up to at least 1910. By that time there are a number of trans-Atlantic liners crossing the ocean offering various degrees of comfort to steerage/third class passengers, but usually crossing the sea in no more than a week to ten days.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/19/2005
Beautifully written and heartbreaking.
Arabwel chapter 1 . 6/6/2003
I like this... I am a Maglor fan, and you have portrayed him well. I like :)
Suzine chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
*sniff* Poor Maglor. "Without hope...". So lonely, so different- an Exile.

Words escape me at the moment. Lovely story.
ren chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
i like this! will you somehow be continuing this? you should...
Klose chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
Ah. Ah... a very beautiful story.

The descriptions of Maglor's grief at leaving the land he had sacrificed so much for- so very poignant, very nicely drawn out. I just love the character of the boy... quite a heart wrenching portrayal.

I probably have not go the point of your story, or least I have not mentioned it here (words escape me at the momemnt), but I still enjoyed very much. :)
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 5/22/2003
But I am no man...

So Maglor sails West at last - but not to Valinor.

'Can’t let the pride go, hey, as low as you fall, can’t forget how great and important you are, can you?”'

I think that sums it up perfectly; the Fall of the Noldor was, in my mind, always about pride.

Lovely, lovely.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
Very Maglor. I like the images that you build up of the land, the people, the very surroundings. The West as a place of dreams and illusions; ah, only for Maglor. And America becomes something of an extension of those thoughts. Exiles seem very prone to met Maglor.
Finch chapter 1 . 5/19/2003
What an excellent story! The various human characters come more alive than Maglor, and somehow this feels exactly right. The haunting repetition 'I am no man' hammers Maglor's loneliness home in a heart-wrenching way. But somehow the interaction with the boy makes it just bearable.

I'm truly impressed!
Jillian Baade chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
Without hope he will fade, of course. Poor Maglor, sailing west to America is NOT going to Valinor, silly! I guess I can understand why he did it though. Good story.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
Gorgeous, Chat. Aboslutely gorgeous. The last sentence fragment is especially haunting.
lipstick chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
Aw Chat, this is heart breaking. Poor Maglor. Poor little elves who cannot live without hope...

(sniffs) This is beautifully sparse you made it so sad without making it sentimental. But then, no more than I have come to expect from you.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
Well, your Word still manages to elude me... :) no surprise there, heh. But this story is so incredibly gorgeous, I had to comment.

It's the other characters that brought it to life - the old man, the Russian boy... they're so human, so real, which makes Maglor stand out even more, being what he is. Actually I felt more sorry for some of them than for Maglor... But then you sprung that ending on us. Without hope indeed... Poor guy.

And it makes sense that everything wouldn't be all right when he got to America. After all, it wasn't for the immigrants, why should he be any different?

My favourite line was:

"I see. It is the same yellow, dried grass, it is the same acid, caustic rain; it is the same merciless sun and the same inclement Earth. "

You have such a powerful way with words.

(sorry for rambling).
Gardeners Grow Love chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
Beautiful story. I like the effect you create through repetition. The first sentence is captivating; the tone of the story is reflective and quiet, a perfect emulation of Maglor. Poor guy.