Reviews for Lasciate Ogne Speranza?
akasha chapter 1 . 11/30/2013
Dear Finch,
I am a huge fan of Maglor and your work really fancies me! I just love the idea of Maglor-in-History so much! I'd like to translate your work 'Lasciate Ogne Speranza?' into Chinese if that's OK with you, so other fans can see this wonderful work. I'll credit you fully and post the translation .com (registration-required). Thank you so much!
Well, my english is not good and my grammar is a nightmare, so please forgive me if you find my language horrible...but I assure you that I will try my best to translate this well.*puppy eyes*
akasha
Confused Pumpkin chapter 2 . 7/28/2011
Oh Maglor...poor Elf. I don't really know much about Italian history, but this is an interesting bit of history with a Tolkien creation slid into it. I like the idea, and the execution was even better. It didn't even cross my mind that Dante would be the same person who wrote Dante's Inferno.
Makalaure chapter 1 . 12/25/2010
"this new invention called paper that is made from shreds of cloth chewed to pulp - just as the thoughts that are entrusted to writing are often made from shreds of truth chewed to fancies and half-lies."

Brilliant. That really gives you something to think about. Sad you've stopped writing Sil fics.

Yours

Maglor
Larner chapter 3 . 9/27/2010
I'm an Anglophile myself, so appreciate the history lesson regarding Italy in one of my favorite historical periods. And loved the comparison between paper and writing offered earlier.
Larner chapter 2 . 9/27/2010
Ah, to have that Elven gift of making the image of what is sung or chanted appear before the listener! And love the comparison of Men to the tower. Most apt.
Larner chapter 1 . 9/27/2010
I always felt Dante carried a good deal of bitterness in his heart, considering the punishments he imagined even for many who had considered themselves his friends.
Yavie Feels Pretty chapter 3 . 4/20/2008
That was nothing short of an amazing piece of work. You blended two lives together that may have had nothing to do with one another-clearly, considering one is fictional-and made it seem as though it were simply a moment expanded out of a history book. Excellent, excellent work.

Kudos!

Yavie
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 2 . 9/15/2006
Hi! This is a wonderful story. I loved most of the stories of that challenge, imagining Maglor through the ages, and I loved this one as well. The sadness of Macalaure and the despair of Dante work very well together, indeed. Great stuff! hank you for sharing!

Aislynn
Elvenson chapter 3 . 8/8/2005
amazing story, filled with such learning and knowledge of the humanities. I admire this piece, more people should write as you write, or at least be as knowledgable.
RavenLady chapter 3 . 11/15/2003
This is profound, heartbreaking, and beautiful and it just blew me away. You have put so much emotion and insight into every line of this story.
Nol chapter 3 . 10/25/2003
Beautiful work, Finch.

I like this even better than I do your Maglor-meets-Aristotle story. The connection seems so much more deep and profound. The moment where Dante adresses him as 'son of the stars' was sublime. Poetry at it's best is one of the most exact sciences known to mankind. How I wish I knew how Dante might have written the Silmarillion!

I really, really enjoyed this, and as always, your deep understanding of the culture you choose to project is a pleasure to read, and a learning experience. Here's to more!
Prophetic Fire chapter 3 . 8/20/2003
*sighs depressedly* Now I know I'm doomed. How in the world can I compare to a work like that? Beautiful! How is it that you have such a way of making people feel the emotions in your works? Yes, I can make people laugh, but that's it. That's the extent of my talent. You, on the other hand...*sighs again* I admire you. And I don't say this lightly.
Sothis Simbelmyne chapter 3 . 7/22/2003
Very...enchanting... and deep. Sothis is abslutely ignorant towards European history, but this is too beautiful to resist anyway.

I like the way you put in all that history(which would have been boring in lessons) so interestingly. You have me throughly angsted. Now I want to know all about Dante and Italy. *sighs*
Lady Peredhel chapter 3 . 7/16/2003
That was a very unusual and engaging read, I loved it. I am an Italian student, just out of high school, where I studied the Divina Commedia for three years. First, let me say that your story was more interesting than the lessons I had on Dante. I think you have shown his feelings about the exile very well.

I saw some reviewers point out the similarity between medieval Italy, divided into small states and ravaged by wars and rivalries, and the elven realms in Beleriand. Now that I think about this I realise they're right. Italians princes and nobles were driven by the same interests and feelings and it was not until 1861 that Italy became a unified nation.

I compliment you on your knowledge of Italian and of Italian history. The only quick point of criticism I have is that Maglor is not a "condottiero", as he fights for money. A person who fights for money is called "mercenario" (pl. mercenari). That's all I have to point out.

I was really pleased to meet one of my favourite characters in my country, as well to see someone describe Dante as you did. The atmosphere was very... medieval ;). I went to Pisa twice and visited the church near the Tower: while reading your story I imagined Dante and Maglor in that place, trying to recall the light, the scents and the sounds... and they really fit perfectly. Campo dei Miracoli is a magic place, where your senses are plunged into the past. Thus, Maglor is perfect in that setting.

Thank you for letting me see again the interesting side of Dante Alighieri after those boring lessons. :)
watcherchild chapter 3 . 6/26/2003
I suppose that if Dante had to meet any Elf, it would be Maglor...

It was enjoyable to read the stories of Maglor and Dante - they were both so similar in many ways. And how they almost bridged a gap between them.

I also liked the idea of Maglor doing something he wasn't successful at so that no one would notice him. It's something that probably kept him innocuous as the people around him died.