Reviews for Parliament of Steel
Mal chapter 1 . 1/29
wow! this was great!
unrepentantAuthor chapter 1 . 10/2/2020
This fic is very well-written, and an exceptional piece of xenofiction which most certainly deserves more reviews.

I learned from Parliament of Steel that you can have extremely tight parameters for a story with a very niche concept and still absolutely have it grip the reader, that wild concepts such as a magneton constituted of dozens of magnemite are absolutely worth exploring, and that a character as alien and conflicted as a hostile metallic hive-mind can still induce enormous empathy. I know these things, but I need reminding, and I appreciate any fic that teaches them to me again.

It's one of the most memorable fics I've read in fifteen years, and I found it deeply touching.
Keleri chapter 1 . 4/26/2020
I'd die for tsundere Magneton. Really enjoyed this and the alienness of the Parliament's thoughts.
Equitia chapter 1 . 4/17/2020
Such a creative depiction of magneton! Your protrayals of pokemon are always great, but I specially loved your idea of an intelligent, plural, very distinctly non-human entity. Let no one every say again fanfic authors lack imagination.
WildBoots chapter 1 . 3/26/2020
Alright, you got me: I like magneton now. What a fun and delightful read!

The way Lucky the Parliament sees itself is fascinating and works really well. Nice use of language in places— unalloyed majesty was especially nice, the way it talks about the storm. I was reminded a little of the Helping Hands in Labyrinth.

Ada was charming as heck — you have a way of making weird blobby Pokémon super cute and sweet. Love the palindrome name. (I liked it so much I didn’t even realize til the end it was also the name of the injured ageislash.)

Jasmine’s character worked really well too, how she’s confident and chatty with this deeply inhuman being but not with other humans. So powerful and smart — still so shy.

Easy instant fave.
An Author's Pen chapter 1 . 3/25/2020
This was absolutely brilliant! The concept, the execution, the language and thought-patterns of Lucky and the actions of the parliament. The ending felt completely earned. Love how you build up to it with Lucky's wariness of the Director. And the portrayal of Jasmine through Lucky's perspective was also great.

The writing was really excellent throughout-too much to individually quote everything, but the image at the end of the "flock of whining steel" spreading out into the sky was beautiful. Oh, and magneton religion :D
SilverRockets chapter 1 . 2/24/2020
You never fail to surprise me with these one-shots :D

I think what I love more about these is your way to build so much lore and expand so much on Pokemon to the point that it makes the world feel real, and also the concepts themselves could carry an entire story on their own. Like Sovereign in Arbitrary Execution, or Tacoma or Steelix or all the others.

A conglomeration of dozens of Magnemite joining together to form a gigantic Magneton is great, moreso the fact that there are so many mis-matched personalities inside. I can only imagine how hard it must've been to keep track of all that. And of course, like any one-entity-many-personalities being, every single decision and word spoken had to be accepted by everyone to be carried out.

Man... the way you keep portraying the Indigo League, time and time again they just seem like huge assholes, huh? They're sure giving CoT's Association a run for their money. The fact that they forgot about this poor Magneton is bad enough. But to stage something like that and put poor Jasmine in danger... Ugh.

Also I'm curious as to how you'd portray a Magnezone... if this particular clump of Magneton were to evolve, I wonder how that would work out.

Anyway, back to the point. As expected, the strongest part of this one-shot is by far the relationship between Jasmine and our many-headed friend. She's just... so nice. And of course she's queer and awesome and just goes with the flow even if she has no idea what the hell is going on. Despite everything, she puts all of her effort into helping and it really shines through just how much she cares. I doubt Lucky would've ended up getting its freedom if it weren't for that.

Also Ada is too sweet and adorable. MY JASMINE, BEST JASMINE. What a cutie. Not as much processing power as Lucky but a dozen times more loving and loyal, that's for sure.

Anyway, this was a great story as usual, I continue to be floored by your creativity and how you can get these awesome ideas written down :D I'm definitely looking forward to more!
Ri2 chapter 1 . 2/24/2020
This was a FASCINATING bit of xenofiction. I very much approve!