Reviews for Nigh On September
Leia Wood aka Cascadia chapter 1 . 7/25/2004
The dialogue was very natural sounding, very realistic. It's good to see Frodo be able to take up for himself. And Sam's reactions were perfect.

Leia
RachelStonebreaker chapter 1 . 9/23/2003
I loved the opening because it really set up the mood for a nice "hobbity bar scene". I could almost hear the "clink" of the mugs silenced by the ensuing fight.

You put a nice interesting little bit of secretive thought in there with Merry thinking Frodo probably believed half of what folks said about his parents. Hm... gets one thinkin' don't it?

I just loved the interaction between Merry, Pippin and Frodo when Pippin was relating the racy story. It really made me smile, it was quite believable. Especially the bit about "what tales?"

I think I would have used a different swear word than "balls" though. It sort of sounds old fashioned, and in that way it's a good choice. It's just a bit blunt and crude for Pippin. But then again, considering the converstaion, perhaps it isn't...

Your "Sam" is great. You should consider writing more with his character.

There was a nice moral wrap up to the story with Merry reflecting on how he'd pushed a bit too far.
Kathy B chapter 1 . 7/3/2003
This is a terrific story and you are an accomplished writer. Kudos too for your co-author's fight scene. The story has stayed with me since it first read it several days ago and I just reread it now. A real pleaure, thank you!
Earelwen chapter 1 . 7/3/2003
I loved this story one of the best I've read in a long time You've really captured the characters of the hobbits something not many author have been able to do Keep posting stories their so good! now I'm gonna go read some of your other stuff :oD
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 6/2/2003
Well, I finally found the time to read this and I'm very glad I did! It's hard to pick a favorite bit, because it was all a delight: the teasing of Frodo had me laughing out loud, the tension before the fight had me biting my lip with anticipation, the fight itself was fast and well-choreographed, the aftermath had me alternately sympathizing and chuckling quietly, and Merry's final reflections were the perfect bittersweet capper. A treat from beginning to end.

-Rose
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 1 . 5/28/2003
Amazing,

That is all I have to say!
aelfgifu chapter 1 . 5/24/2003
“Not something that fades easily into the realm of unbelievable rumor you understand, especially when the lass involved is less than…ahem…closed-mouthed.”

LOL!

Great great story-the chacters are just perfect-and though I know Frodo is your special pet, you do an amazing job with merry and Pip too! Even the insults coming from the hobbit goon are flawlessly crafted and very hobbity too! I can't believe that you have never been published! really-this is just a step beyond very very good! And to think-it does involve any scen with frodo trying to breathe from behind a gag! LOL! Well, of course, I'm writing enough of that for the whole board these days-as is Iorhael! Great stuff! Glad I finally made it over to your bar! ;)

-Emma
Ancalime8301 chapter 1 . 5/21/2003
OOh, great story! :) I loved your enraged Frodo, and I'm glad he can defend himself so readily when necessary. ;) That angst at the end... I didn't expect you to throw that in there, but it fits well with the story and helps it to merge seamlessly into canon. Your descriptions, especially of facial expressions and body language, are wonderful, and make the story come alive in the imagination. Very nice. :)
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
This was darling! Very in character and very good! I LOVE it when Frodo shows his steel. You know it is there, and so many fics gloss this over, it is wonderful to see one that shows him so in character and yet gives him an opportunity to show what he is really made of. Thank you!
Violet chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
Words cannot express my excitement over seeing Frodo kick some Sandyman arse. Your description of their fight was great; it was so good to see Frodo stand up for himself and show his strength. So many stories depict him as feeble and weak, and I just loved this new idea! And the ending was just superb; with Merry's musings of Frodo and the very last lines. So touching.
shirebound chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
Amazing. I could *never* have predicted that powerful, foreboding ending. Absolutely amazing.
MBradford chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
Aratlithiel, I love the ending you've come up with. Sam is so perfect, saying so little but saying so much. I can just see the look on Merry's face as he's staring into the empty fireplace and thinking about Frodo and his quest. Thanks for letting me write up the fight scene, and thanks to Frodo for going along with it so good-naturedly.
endymion2 chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
Oh, this was wonderful! A very entertaining story with a „spirited“ Frodo.

„ Merry himself had even been on the receiving end of that caged fury that seemed to seep from his cousin’s pores and fill the already close room with the distinctly uncomfortable feel of contained lightning“

A good idea to leave Sam behind (always „on duty“, the poor thing), otherwise Frodo wouldn’t have got his part of the „fun“.

You gave a very good characterization of all the hobbits, especially of Frodo

„His gentle nature and penchant for forgiveness seemed to scream ‘target’ to anyone with a nose for that sort of thing.“ With his yearning to master all situations alone, to protect and his

„self-inflicted guilt“.

Please give my regards to Marilyn for the wonderful fight scene ( this time with a brainless rascal). Although I usually don’t enjoy the descriptions of fights, this one was short and poignant.

And the last part of the story turned out – unexpectedly, for me – to be thoughtful and psychological, very well explaining the attitudes of the Hobbits shown later during the quest.

I should read your other stories really soon
Sigil Galen chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
My my, but you do have a way of writing these hobbits! I loved Merry as the focus too-he's a lot more clever than people usually give him credit for. And it was GREAT to see Frodo go a little medieval on someone. Excellent work again!
Gentle Hobbit chapter 1 . 5/19/2003
I *do* like this. It ties together a lot of pre-quest elements (eg. the "covert surveillance" of Frodo by the trio, the gossip about the Bagginses, the unsavoury characters of Ted and Lotho, etc.)

It also has one of my favourite things: Frodo with attitude! Subtle and refined, usually, but there. A very satisfying thing to see, Frodo being a little "unrefined" when the situation calls for it. Even if just once.