Reviews for Past & Present
mag721 chapter 5 . 8/20
Just wanted to say that I love this story! I finally rewatched all 10 seasons on Netflix, and it solidified my r/j love even more the second time around! Your story is a wonderful treat to find! I look forward to finishing it!
ThatwasTHENthisisNOW chapter 19 . 7/1
Hi! I already left a review for your story but I hadn't signed in then and there are a couple more things I'd like to add.
First, I love, LOOOVED your story. You made me cry a lot, and laugh too and fall in love even harder for these two.
Also I want to say that you nailed it with Rachel and Ross. I only started watching the show last year, even if I'd come across some episodes or scenes before, last year I decided to watch it all so I kinda marathoned it. When I started watching I knew I was supposed to love R&R. They were THE SHIP, THE lobsters, etc.
Somehow, I couldn't. I had never figured out why not. I mean they had the story, the build up, the slow burn, the background, the pain. Those things I love in a fictional couple as a rule. But for some reason it didn't make it for me. And I could never pin point exactly what was wrong with them. Thanks to your fic I found it. What I never liked about them was that they didn't seem REAL. It all seemed like a fantasy. They wanted the other to be whatever they thought the other should be and were not able to look past their flaws and weaknesses. Plus they treated each other horribly. They brought out the worst of each other.
From the moment Rachel and Joey started hanging out more, I fell for them. It was hard because I already knew they wouldn't be endgame. But I couldn't help it. They had fun. Real, simple fun. Their bond was built day by day. They trusted and understood each other. They laughed and bickered and it was all there. I know Rachel wouldn't be capable of insulting Joey. Or being spiteful and resentful like she was to Ross. Because she always saw Joey for who he was and in turn she was herself with him. They were SO good together.

So yeah, thank you so much for sharing your story. It was a moving, insightful and amazing ride. :)
This story was so so beautiful! And so well written. Every single one of them sounded like they do on the show, even Phoebe's brother. You're amazing. I'm sad it's over though...
Im loving this story!
mecaka chapter 19 . 5/6
This story was so great! I'm glad I'm not alone in my disappointment with the season 10 finale. :)
The best fanfic I've ever read, really amazing!
MacKenzie S chapter 12 . 8/27/2013
I love your fanfiction! Honestly, one of the best I've ever read. But the only problem I have is Phoebe wouldn't see her mom because her mom committed suicide... other than that AWESOME! But it would be more realistic if Ross wasn't in love with Phoebe because not every 'friend' should be a couple & i love mike! :) GREAT FANFIC! I stayed up all night reading it and I'm re reading now
Guest chapter 18 . 3/31/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
Whirlwind421 chapter 19 . 1/12/2013
Awwwwwwwwww! That was awesome! I'm not feeling all giggly or anything. This was brilliant. I really really really enjoyed this fic. I really loved it! And enjoyed it. Awesome. I love Joey and Rachel! I'm sorry that you only wrote two fics. They were AWESOME though!
Whirlwind421 chapter 16 . 1/11/2013
Awheheheijmeiemeiie! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Great ending to the fic. I totally didn't realize the news article was important until the end and then...Joey! Ahhh!

On a side note, I really liked the part where Rachel was watching the home videos. That part was really sweet. I am enjoying this story so much!
clow-san chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
wow. talk about being a decade late for the party. this is simply wonderful, I just started with FRIENDS now since I was pretty much a child when it was originally aired and I know some people might think it's weird but I totally fell in love with Joey and Rachel and this story right here is a the perfect cure for the canon ending.

this rocked my socks characterwise, narrativewise and storywise. To say that I love it is a gross understatement. If I could put it in my faves in an infinite number of time I would have done so.

so yeah. great job.
MorganlovesFriends chapter 17 . 11/11/2010
Could this BE any more better? I think not...It is already so PERFECT3 I absolutely love the trial you put Rachel and Joey on...The whole airplane thing I guessed from the getko, I was like "Did he get off the plane? Did HE get off the plane?"..Kind of like the Friends finale with Ross and Rachel. The whole Lydia thing was very original, but she had my skin crawling! You made me cry, laugh, smile...countless reactions just because of the words you wrote, they were absolutely spectacular. BEST Rachoey fic I have ever read, and I have read a lot:)
anon chapter 19 . 6/20/2010
I know this is extremely late in coming and that you will probably never see this, but just in case, I want to let you know that I've read this a couple of times and, for the most part, love it. This is an awesome alternate S10, and I felt there was a nice balance between the humor, angst, and romance. I loved getting to see the progression from Rachel just crushing on Joey to falling in love with him because it seemed realistic to me, and I really, really wish the same thing could have happened on the show because she really would have been so much happier with Joey in the long run, but I guess that is what fic is for.

I actually don't think Ross was too OOC in the beginning because he *was* constantly worried about Emma getting a stepdad, and he *was* extremely possessive of Rachel, but I'm sure the writers didn't want to make him a villain in the R/R/J dynamic, so they didn't dare take the conflict there on the show. I think you handled his characterization pretty well by making him crazy in the beginning but then calming down later and also showing his nice and sympathetic side in his 'scenes' with Phoebe, so kudos on not making him too much of a villain nor too perfect.

The only major issue I really had while reading this whole fic was the whole Lydia/Rachel/Joey conflict. Bringing Lydia into the fold was, to me, a good set-up for drama in the beginning and in theory, but I thought it kind of went overboard with Lydia and her daughter practically moving in with Joey and constantly hanging around with him, and in such a short timespan. As sweet as Joey is and as much of a connection as he and Lydia shared, I don't really think he'd let her mark her territory nor would he have bought them lots of things. Then there was the catfight at dinner. We saw in "TOW the Soap Opera Party" that Rachel had grown up a lot from getting plastered and making a scene out in public from when she did in S2. Instead I could see her being extremely passive-aggressive toward Lydia in that situation and also trying to have eye sex with Joey, but not being as outright obnoxious as she was being, screaming at Lydia by the end of dinner, and causing everyone to leave. However, I can see why you wrote that chapter the way you did.

My favorite chapters have to be 13 and 14 (16 and 17 in the drop-down list). I love how you wrote Rachel coming to the realization of her and Ross's break-up, because I think that, canonically, she's always been aware of what their problems were, but her feelings for Ross and the nostalgia factor kept overriding her reservations, so she would always push the bad stuff away whenever she re-loved Ross or just physically wanted him again. I thought the whole Chloe/Ross thing was kind of too... *easy* on Ross, like it was white-knighting him too much, but again, I can see why you went with that twist and I did like that it turned out to initiate R/R's final truce. Plus, I think the whole Isaac/Chloe/Jimmy story was a wonderful parallel and basic summary of the Ross/Rachel/Joey dynamic.

I also love how you brought things around full circle with the video tapes and Rachel seeing, firsthand, how much her relationship with Joey grew in such a positive way, and I also love the big climactic reunion scene, along with Janice's return being amusing and necessary, yet how she wasn't really the butt of the big OH MY GOD IT'S JANICE joke like she became in the last several seasons. Additionally, I never really thought of Phoebe and Ross in a relationship until I read this, but your fic made an extremely good argument for them to be great for each other, and I really do think they could have been a happy couple since they had lots of sweet moments on the show, and they really did bring out the best in each other. The ending seemed a tad too cut-and-dry for me what with all the spontaneous wedding/eloping stuff, but in retrospect, I would have much rather had the series end this way than how it actually did, especially with the conclusion of the R/R arc (*gags* And to think I used to love that pairing and all of S10 :P)

So, yeah, fantastic job on this, and I really wish your R/J high school fic were still up here, but such is life. At least this one will always be up for me to re-read and enjoy whenever I want.

PS. Chandler's conversation with Ross out on the balcony in Chapter 11 and his "Hideously Inappropriate 2: This time, it's personal" line cracks me up every time I read it. It's so perfectly Chandler 3
BenjaF chapter 19 . 1/21/2010
First of all you should know that i believe(like almost everybody) "Friends" was the best TV show in the whole history. I can't believe that I finally found something even better. Im aware that there is a good chance that you'll never see this review but i really NEED to write it. I believe your fanfic was perfect. I really believe that is the only word that can describe it. Yes, Ross was a little weird and OoC at the beginning but after reading (and understanding) the last chapters, all come to a perfect balance. Well, as you might notice Im really speech less with your work. You should know that although Im a JnR fan, I could never start to imagine a so perfect story. I just miss more chapters of JnR as a normal relationship (after Ross accept them). Anyway if you ever read this review, you should know that we're all waiting for that "three years later" thing and that, at least for me, this IS the real end to "Friends" (unless you wanna continue it :D).

Let us know about your new work!

Benjamin. A big fan.
shat chapter 19 . 9/12/2009
I thought this story was amazing, one of the best Rachel/Joey stories that are out there (sadly, very few). Although I thought that sometimes the characters were a little ooc, especially Ross, I still enjoyed it a lot, I really loved the way you portrayed Rachel and Joey's relationship. It would be so great if you could write another J/R story! I know there's not much of a chance of that happening, but still, I'm hoping!

Anyway, thanks for this really. I'm reading it for the third time already.