Reviews for They That Are Told To Survive
ASlitheringSlytherin chapter 24 . 12/27/2020
I know the finale has been posted and it's driving me insane cuz I want to read it but my lack of time and responsibility is horrible so I'm going to have to review one chapter per day, and that's concerning every fic. I'm very stressed out though for all of my favs because they deserve so much more than they're probably going to get. Now let's get into this damn review, shall we? I'm starting to appreciate Elkavich much much more after this PoV. We really get sense of what it must truly be like to be a Gamemaker. To view it as an art. They consider themselves artists, and sure, they may be painting with the blood of the innocent, they still make that arena theirs. They are the most morally challenged artists out there, and yet you still make me sympathize for them. Maybe it's that nervousness, that lack of confidence, that desperate need to prove themselves, to claim their art as rightfully their own. I can definitely relate to that. Maybe it's that feeling of being robbed of your creation, of being manipulated, of not feeling in circles trol, to which I can somewhat relate but definitely feel deep inside myself. Her escort origins must be something that haunts her, torments her, as she wonders if she is just truly a lowly escort, if she has failed, only remade what the previous Gamemaker has made, but in the end she grabs ahold of herself and stares that this is her art, she is her, and she is doing what she knows she is doing. She is gaining back herself. And she just earned so much respect from me because she is beautifully morally gray and relatable. I also now realize how deeply I delved into her that it seems as of I were trying to make my own book haha. I guess I'm just in a very dramatic mood. Alroght so I'm trying to wrap my head around the immensity of everything that is happening. Jordyn is the figurehead of the rebellion and she's going to be there when they break into the arena and do whatever they plan to do exactly. And she's nervous, of course, who wouldn't be, and the whole experience feels surreal because she has a hard time believing that they might be succeeding, and she's probably also scared that something will go wrong. I also hate the fact that both Maeve and Madison's names start with the letter M, but at least I know that she has/will have someone she knows with her duro g this while...situation. Oh snap oh shizz oh shit , the rebellion has begun and I am nervous of the consequences. Also nerouvs that there might be some tension between Elkavich and Kathvarine, which might explode into something very important or might not. Either way I'm nervous and excited for what is coming next and I will friend you on Discord and if I have time and remeber to do it will try to get into that Discord server for the SYOT community!
ladyqueerfoot chapter 26 . 12/27/2020
Dawn, in all honesty, a part of me hurts as I write this review and then we officially part ways with our beloved TTATTS. I met you while you were writing this story, and I genuinely find it hard for me to remember my life without you at this point, since you’ve had such a profound impact on the person I am in this brief period of time. I still remember when I met you and Verses was tiny and you submitted Saffron to APU and I thought “wow this Dawn chick is pretty cool and she makes pretty neat Tributes,” which was what lead me to eventually stumble down the rabbit whole that is your amazing writing. I still remember the night I read TTABBTN for the first time and by the end of it, I knew with tears in my eyes that your verse would forever be special to me. Just the way you characterized five very different people in just sixteen thousand words, I was genuinely speechless, and I continue to be every time you post something.

The concept for TTATTS was unlike anything I had ever seen before, which is probably why I was initially so drawn to it. I’ve always adored Careers, so to see a SYOT centered on just them made me very thrilled, much less a SYOT written in your amazing prose, probably some of the best that I’ve ever read. But alas, I didn’t have a Tribute in the story. All I had was an inability to shut up about Kiernan Alcraiz which led me to adopting him and never shutting the hell up about this deeply confused and concerning young man who somehow made it out alive, but I’ll touch on that later. Even though we’re extremely different, I’ve always found a lot of me in Kiernan, and that’s what initially drew me to him. We’re both clinically a mess, and we wear our hearts on our sleeves even if we don’t show it. He reminds me of the angst-ridden pre-teen that I once was, as well as the equally angst-ridden adult that I currently am. And it has truly been so beautiful to see him grow up so beautifully and so quickly. I feel nothing but pride for him.

This Chapter was a bittersweet yet amazing way for this story to end. I was quite nervous at first with everything happening with Rhodos, and I was worried that he wouldn’t survive, yet he did, even if it meant that he had to change his beliefs around. And then there was sweet Althea, who just wanted to come home to her girlfriend. Seeing her and Rhodos together throughout the course of the story, and the way they grew together, then apart, then finally together again was extremely poignant. I was always afraid that either of them would go, and I am thrilled that they are together.

Seeing Kiernan finally embrace who he is and not let his trauma define him was one of the most stunning moments of the fic, but it doesn’t come close to the genuine hurt I felt reading Hera’s final POV. She was able to die on her own terms, and in a way that felt so personal to her character. I’m never going to shut up about how much I loved her and seeing her grow, and I’m just thrilled that I got to read about her, even if it ended like this.

And Madison Saros is officially alive. All I have to say about that final POV is wow. Everything that this story had hinted at finally came together in a beautiful crescendo, and hearing your voice read these words that were clearly so personal to you moved me to tears. It all makes sense now, everything with the arena and the extractions and Sadie. I’m just so stunned by this little bit at the end, and I’m so satisfied with this beautiful but bittersweet ending.

I’ll probably think of more to say as the days go on and TTATTS lives in my head rent free, but for now all I have to say is thank you for writing.

Best,
Linds
Tamika-lee chapter 26 . 12/27/2020
Hey,
First of all, I'm sorry for not reviewing the earlier chapters because I read every single one of them... several times. Not only because I wanted to see what you had planned for my little Hera but also because I just love the way you write. I loved this fiction and I'm so glad, you wrote it the way you did. So poetic, vibrant. You are an amazing writer and you never disappoint.

It was a pleasure to read your story
ThePoptropicalGoose chapter 26 . 12/27/2020
Rhodes' immediate disappointment over Althea while the Threes are celebrating noooo, my poor boy!
AND GOING BACK FOR HER THE MADLAD

NO ALTHEA HES COMING DONT GIVE UP YOU SAID YOU WOULD LIVE DONT DIE ON ME
THEYRE REUINITED THE FOUR DREAM TEAM DAWN YOU BETTER NOT HURT THEM PLEASE I BEG

NO KIERNAN FIGHTING THE MUTTS AND DAMNIT I THOUGHT THE MUTTS WERE THE 55s WHYYYY
WAIT WAIT WAIT THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BETTER NOT BE WHO I THINK THEY ARE.
'WAS THIS SCRIPTED?' TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH. HERA AND THE LADDER WITH THE MAYBE SAVE HECK YEAH

Hera's fluency and synergy in the fight aaah! Saving Kiernan and Althea and Rhodos like a warrior goddess! im-the threeeesss..oh dang she's going for Sadie too?! I'm scared..for both of them. TAKING IT OUT WITH THE VIAL AND SHATTERING HER ADDICTION ONCE AND FOR ALL LIKE A QUEEN! wait no,,,,HERA! dawn you're evil

MADISON? IM SORRY MSYTERY FIGURE WAS MADISON HUH VUGWCIYSVBNA
THE CAREERS THINKING THEY MUST BE DEAD AND O h Sugar Honey Ice Tea!
SADIE BEING THE LAST VULTURE AND TAKING IT OUT ON THEM AAAAA
'Whos ready for a revolution?' ME. DAN AND RY AND HERA DESERVED TO LIVE IM GOING TO SOB

I just...woah...this ending...I can't even describe it. It's...gorgeous and tragedy and reconciliation, sacrifice and danger and just like before...love. It took me a mere five hours to fall in love with this verse, and here's to you looking after yourself, and hopefully, a next installation.
foxfox12 chapter 4 . 12/27/2020
i read this chapter so fast and for what ghggghhdfghdfhg dh gerhj g. did u enjoy my keysmash dawn anyway review review uh this one was like longer and harder to process but no fault to u ofc! I'm like out of it idkdkdkdkdkdk but kiernan is a new fav i just hope he changes up his attitude yknow and his stupid mom shut up lsldlsldlsd pls
meanwhile hera... ok! ! !
foxfox12 chapter 3 . 12/27/2020
what even is this dawn i can't. i wasn't expecting more good writing. anyway, pageantry aside, i read this chapter and the previous one. while i loved the previous one, this one definitely shone more in my mind because we actually got to meet characters who are all going to die... i'd assume. either way what the fuck is going on with dior and chrys chill the fuck out i liked you at first but now you're just annoying. y'all need to get your shit together! anyway :))))) can't wait to watch them fight to death! can't wait for more!
foxfox12 chapter 1 . 12/27/2020
your writing is spectacular and this chapter was no different. i'll be condensing my reviews in an effort to read through this whole thing in time for the finale, but, i want to appreciate how fantastic this first chapter was. it's great to see jordyn again and she's in district thirteen! i'm thinking someone might be escaping the arena again... but i'm not quite sure, obviously. i'm excited to meet the tributes and especially excited to watch as they journey throughout the arena! can't wait to read more, thank you dawn! see you soon in my next review!
ASlitheringSlytherin chapter 23 . 12/26/2020
Aww well lemme just say that I really do enjoy this new Hera Keirnan dynamic, I feel like it could go very interesting ways, considering they are both damaged but have a chance of recovering, maybe together. Hera being sober now, I think she could definitely help Keirnan find mental health, and maybe get some wholesomeness out of it. Hopefully. Dior is still angering me and makes me want to kill her once again. I may seem like a very moral less person but I just cant tolerate her killing Chrys and still being confident and almost lowkey judging Chrys' family for still being alive. And I dont want her to go after Sadie, especially now that she is so savage, so violent, so broken. I'm so nervous Dawn how dare you. Ry seems to be the childish type, which is a nice trope is not overdone. she feels slightly one note to me right now but I honestly dont care much because she feels like a very temporary character that will soon enough die unfortunately. As for Daniel, his personality isn't very rounded, but again, I really don't mind. He seems more of the chatty naive type telling Rhodos everything and such, but also smart. The rebels seems to have everything well planned which gives me high respect for them. I wonder if theyll actually succeed this time. Then again we still need to fill in two more installments in this series so maybe not XD. Hera and Keirnan really are bonding. I now LIVE for Keirnan's sarcasm, it's such a blessing. I just hope that hera will stay sober and help Keirnan, and even maybe get the favor returned. Unfortunately I know that they are practically all going to die, so that's just great. I don't want Hera killing herself for Keirnan, if anything, I'd rather it the other way around, but if it does happen...I want Keirnan to be able to recover. Is that too much to ask? Althea my wonderful phoenix. I'm so happy she managed to get independent but I really really dont want her killing Hera. But then...deep inside...for me Althea is a better choice than Althea. I want her to win this. Get back to Kani. But then would she have to kill Saide? Could I handle that? And who would get to slaughter Dior (preferably violently)? And what about poor child Keirnan ? My mind is sad right now, because there is legit no way out. Dawwwn why do you do this to me?
Josephm611 chapter 25 . 12/26/2020
OKAY I'm a bit calmer now after venting all my anger at you in vc so I can actually give you a proper review

WHAT AM I SAYING I'M STILL NOT OVER IT! DAWN HOW COULD YOU END THIS CHAPTER ON A CLIFFHANGER LIKE THIS? YOU'RE HORRIBLE
(ok not really firesis i love you BUT)
skkjadgfalsdgsadjkf
LAKHFKJASHFJKDAFA

ok now actual review AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
maybe i'll just do speculations that terrify me

BUT DIOR IS DEAD? SHE'S? DEAD? HOW? WHAT? She was such a villain but you made her rationalization and thought process SO REAL! LIKE WHAT? YOU HAVE A TALENT FOR WRITING THOUGHT PROCESSES!
I'm seriously so sad even though I bounced back and forth between sympathizing with her and hating her guts for the way she treated Althea and Rhodos.

OKAY

SO

Kiernan and Hera scare me. Something bad is GUARANTEED to happen to them and I think Hera will sacrifice herself for Kiernan and you're gonna break my heart AND DAWN HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO SWEET PRECIOUS HERA? I seriously think Kiernan has a good chance of escaping since he'd be important to the rebellion BUT AHHHH

AND RHODOS. AND. ALTHEA. SPLIT. UP? HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? YOU BUILD THEM UP AS SWEET FRIENDS AND THEN YOU TEAR THEM APART LIKE THE ABUSIVE WRITER YOU ARE. NOOOOOOO I'm glad that Rhodos is going with Daniel and Ryleigh BUT WITHOUT ALTHEA HOW?
And now I'm scared for what will happen to Althea. And Rhodos. And I think one of them will die and I DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT PLEASE NOOOOOO

ok i have to go write justice but don't you dare
ladyqueerfoot chapter 25 . 12/26/2020
"YOU GAY OR SOMETHING" sadie may have said that but dawn i am gay or something for ur writing!

DIOR MARINI IS DEAD WHAT THE FUCK ! WHAT THE FUCK! i am really scared of sadie and what she did. she just fucks shit up and for what? i am sad! she is the worst i think and i miss dior and her ending was sad even tho dior was my least fave i am MISERABLE

...BUT NOT AS MISERABLE AS I AM ABOUT WHAT YOU DID TO RHODOS AND ALTHEA! pls seek mental help dawn i am worried for everything... WHY CANT THEY BE FRIENDS WHY IS SHE ALL KANI THIS KANI THAT OKAY GAYLORD LOVE IS DEAD STAN RHODOS... dawn? WHAT THE FUCK? ugh i think one of them will die and im upset

and kiernan didn't do shit so he will probs will die what the fuck fuck u
ladyqueerfoot chapter 24 . 12/25/2020
this chapter... BYE why do you hate joseph and i? it was very fun to talk to you two on voice about it but like OUCHIESSSS

i love when you use all ur fancy words in the capitol it makes me happy and it’s SO capitol

and also hello jordyn i missed you who the hell did you see i feel it’s maeve ugh i miss kiernan

this chapter slapped and i’m sorry this review is short but ugh i stan ttatts so much and i stan you so merry christmas as well
ASlitheringSlytherin chapter 22 . 12/25/2020
I am incredibly late but I'll take this time on my hands to catch up on this wonderful story that has me shooketh 99% of the time!

Althea: So this chapter is starting off pretty violently with poor District 7 Female. I feel very sorry for that girl, whoever she was, she didn't deserve to die so gruesomely, nobody does. As for Althea, she started choking on blood of another tribute? That's also pretty gruesome, but I'm glad Althea is okay...at least physically. And mentally, Althea seems to be faring better than most. She's determined, she has two people that she has to come back to- Kani, her epic lesbian GF, and herself. She's not dependent on anyone, does not have any expectations to live up to anyone anymore, she is the badassest bitch out there and she's coming from everyone. I'm getting such phoenix vibe right now, rising from the ashes of blood and gore and dirt and being ready to show them all. I don't think I'll tolerate Althea dying, okay? Just a smol warning XD

Rhodos: Kinda off subject but I found myself wondering how many kids are left in the Arena now?
So this PoV was filled with surprises. First off, I'm really glad Rhodos is alive. At first I wasn't attached to him, but through it all, especially how he tries to help Althea, I'm getting more and more into him and his arc. Secondly, I'm surprised there's a whole cave-complex-thing below the arena, unless the whole thing was created just with the earthquake? Either way, it's a good advantage and hiding place, you'll be sure to not attract much attention to predatory tributes below ground, so they should definitely use it to their advantage. Thirdly, Rhodos? Was I right? He wants to join the rebellion? That's iconic though, but I do really see him as the type to join easily. To have his opinions changed easily. We have added two new characters here, Daniel and Ryleigh, and I have a feeling you're doing that just so that I get attached before brutally killing them and making me sob- ThAnKS dAwN. But either way, this is a very interesting twist and I think Rhodos will serve the rebellion well, but it might make him enemies within the Pack.

Hera: Oh god. Hera is slowly losing taste of life and that is not good thing. 'Passively suicidal' seems like a really good way to describe her mindset right now and again, not a good thing. At all. Ugh I'm so nervous for her, I don't want her to die, to do anything to herself. I don't want her to fall into full-blown suicidalness, that would be so tragic. I don't want her committing suicide. But I doubt that that's what's going to happen. I see her sacrificing herself for Kiernan. And I don't know what to think. Because as much as I love Hera, I also love Kiernan, but I like Hera better, but does that give me the right to beg Hera not to throw away for Kiernan's? You're not just challenging the characters' moralities, you're also challenging mine and it hurts. I'm really nervous for both, especially since that Kiernan is pretty damn broken right now and I doubt that'll end well.

You have me tense and emotionally not-that-okay but I'm here for it!
Josephm611 chapter 24 . 12/24/2020
On time review! :sunglasses:
lol you know my reaction from vc so there's no need for me to live react... but I will go through the chapter and hunt for clues. Detective!Joseph is on the case!

Elkavich... She's in the same place as Adrastus, but she's definitely a lot meaner than he was, and so I'm much less sympathetic with her plight. Not that I don't care about her, of course. She's got that drive and humanity that makes me feel bad for her, but she was kinda nasty the entire time and I'm not too attached (though let me guess you'll write an execution scene and make me attached to her too).
(completely off topic but I miss Adrastus. I haven't written him in so long and I want him back in my life.)
Kathvarine is hilarious. Stutter? pshaw. What a sly one.

Jordyn... I hate how you end a sentence with "M-"
That's it.

I don't think there's much more to say other than what I've already said in vc? Althea could either end up fighting Dior or finding Rhodos, and if she finds Rhodos she could either fight him because rebellion and not wanting to hurt Kani or join him bc their friendship is cute? I highly see Hera giving her own life for Kiernan and I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN AHHHHHH
and I think either Daniel or Ryleigh is gonna die and I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN EITHER AHHHH

update soon pls?
Josephm611 chapter 23 . 12/24/2020
Ok I am here. Late, but here. I'M NOT READY FOR THIS.
ngl that new syot has really messed me up. i feel like being trolly now and I GOTTA BE SRIOUS FOR THESE KIDS ;-;

Kiernan... OH YESSSSS Kiernan and Hera is the unlikely wholesomeness I didn't know I needed. But now they're allies and I LOVE IT. And he calls her just his district partner but he's really more attached than he thinks he is. His having flashbacks is just... so sad. Why are you making me sad.
And he's being honest with himself. Though it's sad, it's also bittersweet, because he's being honest about his love for his sister and ahhhhh

Dior... the aftermath! of chrys' death! YOU BETTER FEEL GUILTY BC AHHHHH
welp you don't. i don't like you i think youre gross. Why is she so happy? So giddy? You crazy, girl!
crap. you pulled it. for family. "She's the older sister." Now I have to sympathize with her again. You always tie it back so well. I can't hate her for long because then she's human again and just ahhhh
AVENGING MATTIE ok i am EXCITED for this. I actually want her to win this fight what?

RHODOS... AHHHHHH I just had the horrible idea of what if you're having him join the rebellion but then he runs into Althea and they have to fight and AHHHHH PLEASE DON'TTTTTT I WON'T BE ABLE TO TAKE IT
"he was too anxious - and polite - to correct them." Now I have a picture of awkward Rhodos with his arms around his knees and I want to hug him again.
"... I'm willing to learn." YES YOU SAID IT. OMG. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! AHHHHH. And I love the characterization Daniel and Ryleigh are getting? Rhodos has more friends now! I love that we're getting to know some non-Careers!
(ok I left for a while bc I am cooking dinner but now I will finish my review as I boil potatoesssss)
Ok Ryleigh is so cute with the way she's freaking and nerding out. How have we not met her until now. ALSO I just remembered that Rhodos overheard the Threes in training? Callback?
YESSSS THEY'RE TAKING DOWN THE ARENA! RHODOSSSSSS YASSSS ASFHADKLJFGKJDFHJKADF MAJOR HYPEEEEE

Hera... uh oh more sad times incoming. She's just... become herself, ironically. She's not pretending to be anything and she's just being the kind, tired person she's always been/wanted to be.
And yet she's stronger now than she ever was before. She's not trying to stay clean for some vague glory and expectations. She's doing it out of consideration for Kiernan. And I love her so. so. much. ASKLSHADA THEY'RE JUST SO WHOLESOME OKAY?

Althea... More sad hours? She's lost... ;-; AND SHE'S TRYING TO FIND RHODOS! Oh gosh this could either go really well or really horribly? Either she'll join them? Or... death will happen ;-;
She cares so much about him and she hates it. He's wormed his way into her heart and now she can't get him out. My precious boy look at what you've done.

this chapter wasn't THE WORLD IS ENDING SDFJSDFHKJH but it was very OMG WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN it's so wholesome but also AHHHHHH
Josephm611 chapter 22 . 12/21/2020
HIIIIIII I am here and I'm ready for my heart ~~to be broken by the night~~
who am i kidding im not ready for this dawnnnnnn

Althea... I'VE MISSED YOU OH! And she's sad and it makes me sad and ahhhhh she's back with her internal conflict and I want Rhodos' soft side to win so bad but I'm scared it won't? PLEASE!
This POV makes me so scared because she's breaking and not in a good way (though do tributes ever really break in a good way?). And now I'm scared she'll fully push Rhodos away and he'll be sad until he dies because I'm getting a sinking feeling that he won't survive for much longer.

Rhodos... I'VE MISSED YOU TOO! OH NO he's been separated and now he's off by himself and-
NO THE THREES. THIS IS THE WORST! How he just wants to say hi but there's no way the Threes will be okay with that. I'M SO SCARED AHHHHHH
WAIT PLOT TWIST. THEY'RE NOT FIGHTING! RHODOS MIGHT LIVE! HIS EAVESDROPPING IS PAYING OFFFFF AHHHHHHHH
He's talking with the Threes. This is a new for this story. Careers having a civil conversation with non-Careers? It's literally zero surprise that Rhodos is the one to do it and IS HE GOING TO GET IN ON THE REBELLION SUBPLOT PLEASE DO AND DON'T DIE
omg if rhodos escapes then we will have traded escapees, rhodos and orysa
He's interested. YES RHODOS BE INTERESTED. I WANT TO YELL ENCOURAGING WORDS AT HIM BUT I CAN'T
HE NODS.
HE NODS.
AAKKJASDHDJHDJKF
I'M SCREAMING YAS OMG WHERE IS THIS GOING

Hera... oop, there goes District Ten. *insert moment of silence* sorry if this happened earlier and i forgot. it's late and my memory is basically a goldfish
she's having her sad musings and it's so depressing. why do they all hit me in the feels. It's so bittersweet? She's accepted her death but I haven't and HERA PLEASE.
Dawn. This is an intervention. I must obtain permission to enter the arena and give big bro hugs to Rhodos and Hera. I DEMAND IT!
"She finds Kiernan Alcraiz sobbing against wood."
AHASJKHDSAKLJHFDKAHFL I'M SOBBING TOOO NOW I CAN'T. I can never stay stonefaced when someone cries and ESPECIALLY not when Kiernan is crying.
AKLSJHKALSJDH I want to hug Kiernan. I need to pull him in and squeeze him tight and tell him that everything will be okay, and let him cry out his pain on my shoulder, and then make comfort food to make him feel better, and then tuck him in bed so he can get some rest. I don't care that linds is his mom now. I will be his big bro and do big bro things and make him feel better.
But Hera is so precious and I love her even more now. I did not expect her to get a positive-ish arc and I LOVE YOU FOR IT even though it makes me want to cry and just dkahglkajfhglksdfhsd

ready for the next chapter so my heart will break again
117 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »